Scuba diving in St. Thomas

alabuk

Looking at doing a "discover" or "beginner" scuba (where you don't have to be certified but go down with an instructor) in St. Thomas. Anyone have any suggestions on who to use?? Would like a recommendation of someone you have used and how it was.

Thanks for any input.

• 1 month later...

I would highly recommend the Coki Beach Club in St Thomas. We are certified divers that used them for a two tank walk in dive last April and totally enjoyed the experience. Steve will take care of you. When we finished our first dive, they had a group going through the discover scuba class. When we finished our second dive the class had finished and the newbies were smiling. :D

When I went on our first cruise I signed up for the SNUBA(since i had not dived w/in 2 years). I told the people at Coki and they came up to me before the class and said I could dive w/ Steve and since I paid for the Snuba they did not charge me any extra for SCUBA instead. Steve was great and I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND them.

This is my first cruise but St. Thomas is where we have vacationed many of times, flying in and staying at a hotel. I have had opportunity to meet people from most of the dive shops. I would recommend Blue Island Divers or the Coki Beach Dive Club. Blue Island will pick you up at the dock and their dive shop is located in the shops (Crown Bay Marina) near the ships port. To get to Coki you just catch a ride to Red Hook on one of the many Taxi's awaiting the cruise passengers. (The site says they will reimburse up to $10 per person for taxi and cost is usually around $12 on way) Coki Point is my favorite snorkel spot if I have extra time to spare.

The only problem I have with Admirality Dive is an experience my wife and I had before we were certified. (This was about 8 years ago) We took their discover scuba course but my wife was having bad problems clearing her ears in the pool they use so we opted not to dive for good reason. The divemaster threw a "hissy" fit, threw some things around the dive shop and walked off. His staff just stood there and stared at him. I personnaly will never go back there because of that day. As long as they have space we will be using Blue Island on our cruise.

I believe Coki and Blue Island both offer the Discover Scuba. I would call to make sure they will take cruise passengers for that class. I'm sure they will, probably have the class and head out with the afternoon dives.

http://www.blueislanddivers.com/

http://www.cokidive.com/

www.aadivers.com

Sam (the owner) is the instructor who did my advanced class. He lived in ohio at that point. He worked for the dive shop I worked at. He is an excellent diver/instructor, and is super professional. A lot of my dive buddies have gone down to visit him, and have had a great time.

Happy cruising (and diving!)

Archived