Costco has a special on the 8 1/2 hour Kenai Fjord Tour

ChiLee

At the start of our Alaskan Land Tour, we stopped at the Costco to stock up with various supplies. They had a display offering the 8 1/2 hour Kenai Fjord Tour for 2 people for $230 (I think). I thought that this was a pretty good deal so we put it into the cart. My thoughts were reinforced when the Costco employees at the checkout got all excited when they saw it.

We hadn't purchased one of those coupon books but it doesn't look like they offer the same tour.

Maybe someone with more information can confirm whether or not I got a good deal.

(By the way, the tour turned out to be one of the highlights of our vacation)

Maybe someone with more information can confirm whether or not I got a good deal.

)

I just looked it up online. Booking the tour directly costs $159/person (= $320 for two people). Sounds like a good purchase to me.

also - I love Costco. Example: In Hawaii, we had a hard time getting tour operators to respond when we tried to use the Go-Hawaii cards. So we called them, they put an operator on the phone who grew up in Honolulu and coached me on places to go as a substitute and sent instructions for how to send the cards back to them.

If something happened and you haven't used the Alaska certificates, I'm betting you can return them for a refund.

Just got back from Alaska early last week. The 8 1/2 hour Kenai Fjords Tour was probably the best day of the whole vacation. Captain Chris was an outstanding guide and a real master in operating the boat, getting right up close to rock formations and knowing so much about the critters and where to find them. We watched a humpback and calf together with orcas in Agnes Cove. The mama humpback was slapping the water over and over with her pectoral fin to warn the orcas away from her calf. It was a fantastic show, only about 100 yards away from the boat. $230 for 2 is a great deal, money well spent.

Just got back from Alaska early last week. The 8 1/2 hour Kenai Fjords Tour was probably the best day of the whole vacation. Captain Chris was an outstanding guide and a real master in operating the boat, getting right up close to rock formations and knowing so much about the critters and where to find them. We watched a humpback and calf together with orcas in Agnes Cove. The mama humpback was slapping the water over and over with her pectoral fin to warn the orcas away from her calf. It was a fantastic show, only about 100 yards away from the boat. $230 for 2 is a great deal, money well spent.

Hi there - I am interested in this tour. What company did you go on? Thank you!:)

errr... I love and "hate" costco. Product is so good that I spend too much money there every week

Yes. Our family refers to Costco as the home of the "$400 gallon of milk."

We walk in to get one simple thing and walk out with a ton of other stuff! Couldn't find cruise deals online but now I've got a sudden urge to go shopping to see if any Alaska specific deals are in-stock!

Darn. Just as I was trying to economize! :-D

Kenai Fjords Tour is the tour company that Costco is offering the special for. I think that this company is native owned which was a plus to us. We purchased the offer at the Anchorage Costco (located on Dimond Blvd)

I think that one reason for Costco's success is their concept of the treasure hunt. When we go there, we generally go up and down all of the aisles even when we know exactly what we need - like $400 gallon of milk. Naturally, unless you look, you don't know what special/bargain you will find. (Of course this means your eyes are viewing all of their merchandise, including things like a year's supply of cheese for $10 :))

By the way, we did the Harv and Marv's Whale Watching excursion in Juneau earlier in our vacation. It was great and we really enjoyed the experience. But for us, the Kenai Fjords tour was an even better experience because we saw more marine life, much closer viewing and as a bonus, there was a great view of a glacier.

"What company did you go on? Thank you!"

Kenai Fjords Tours. Our boat was the Tanaina. 10 AM to 6:30 PM with a stop at Fox Island for dinner. I was afraid it would seem like a long day, but there was continually so much to see that the time went by pretty fast.

Archived