Compare Road to Hana excursions, Please

flashdog_1

Phyllis, I'm wondering if you ever heard back from Ekahi Tours? I sent them an email re the Haleakala Sunrise tour and I heard back within 24 hours. The woman who emailed me, Tracy, has been very helpful re the questions that I had so I'm very surprised that they didn't get back to you. :confused:

Phyllis, I'm wondering if you ever heard back from Ekahi Tours? I sent them an email re the Haleakala Sunrise tour and I heard back within 24 hours. The woman who emailed me, Tracy, has been very helpful re the questions that I had so I'm very surprised that they didn't get back to you. :confused:

I'm glad you heard back, though!

Hi Lazz,

Could you tell me which rental company you used, when you drove all the way around. We are sailing Sept 19, we booked with Alamo, but just recently learned that we can drive to Hana but when we get there, we are restricted as to which roads we can take.

Thanks,

Nappi

Hi Lazz,

Could you tell me which rental company you used, when you drove all the way around. We are sailing Sept 19, we booked with Alamo, but just recently learned that we can drive to Hana but when we get there, we are restricted as to which roads we can take.

Thanks,

Nappi

Aloha,

Most of the rental car companies exclude driving the backside Hana road and also the road from north of Kapalua (Kahakaloa) to Wailuku. It's in the fine print, usually phrased in terms like "only roads classified as state highways", or something similar.

Many people do it anyway-innocently or otherwise. Be aware, though, that if you have a problem or accident, your insurance will NOT cover you-because you are in violation of the contract terms. Whether you use insurance through a credit card, the company, or personal, it won't matter.

You might check to see if renting a 4 wheel drive will allow you to travel the 'forbidden' roads.

West Maui,

Thanks for the reply, looking into a small SUV or similar was going to be my next step. There are 6 of us, the car was less than $100, and the excursion is $140 each, but it is not something we want to forgo, as none of us have been in Hawaii before. Do you know anything about driving to Weimea canyon, we booked an excursion but maybe that is something we could drive to and offset the Hana Road excursion.

Thanks,

Nappi Sailling 9/19/09

West Maui,

Thanks for the reply, looking into a small SUV or similar was going to be my next step. There are 6 of us, the car was less than $100, and the excursion is $140 each, but it is not something we want to forgo, as none of us have been in Hawaii before. Do you know anything about driving to Weimea canyon, we booked an excursion but maybe that is something we could drive to and offset the Hana Road excursion.

Thanks,

Nappi Sailling 9/19/09

Aloha,

A car that's large enough for 6 and less than $100??? Hmmmm.....I suspect this is a large sedan? Before you do that, I'd go sit in the same model and decide if six of you are going to really be comfortable in that car for 12 or so hours.

As I have always said, the road to Hana IS the destination. In other words, it's the scenery, history, "talk story" etc. that is the point of doing it, not getting to Hana or points beyond. If you drive it yourselves, you will miss many of the perks that come with an excursion.

First, the driver doesn't see much--but hears lots of "Oh, wow, look at that!" Bummer for the person driving....and it can be very, very tiring for everyone to stop/start/stop/start so the driver gets some fun, too.

Second, the tour guides know, on a day to day basis, what is worth stopping for and what is worth skipping. Waterfalls are a great example; reading some of the guide books can make people think the waterfalls are never-ending, everyday items. But, fact is that since they are natural, sometimes some are "working" and some are not. The guides know, and won't spend time stopping at a site without a purpose.

Third, the guides can tell you what is what, e.g. flowers, fruits, trees, and such. They usually know a fair amount of history as well. The better guides will have a combination of fun and interesting stories and facts, not just a dry recital like some old educational series.

Last, but not least-your comfort and overall enjoyment. With a guided tour, the food is taken care of (the better ones, that is); the vans are roomy and comfortable, with large windows. You'll have swimming opportunities, as long as conditions are right. You'll not be rushed, nor feel self induced pressure to hurry or 'get back'.

Before I was in tourism, during the 11/1/2 years I owned a tourism business, and ever since I have recommended that guests take a tour to Hana. I'm not against self-done activities, as my posts will show. But there are some things that are better enjoyed via a tour.

I think doing Waimea Canyon on your own is a great idea. There are several thread here which discuss the drive. Although the drive is beautiful, Waimea is the destination-not like the Hana comparison.

Most of all, enjoy your trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WestMaui,

In another post you said you had a suggestion for "halfway to Hana" if someone did not want to go all the way, or all the way around, or to cut down on fatigue etc. Want to share that?

BTW on the Alaska board there is a "local" who wrote out and "published" for CC or anyone, a play by play description of the drive on the road from Skagway to Whitehorse, Yukon (where to expect to see a bear etc). It has been immensely popular. Not only that, but as a local, he knows what glacier someone has posted a photo of that was not on a tour, and answers every question.

As a matter of fact, it was so popular and people recommended it so much that he was given a free cruise on RCCL for his devotion to tourism for the area. hint hint

And he enjoyed the cruise so much that he now goes (paying) every other year at least. When he returns he writes a detailed review with photos about the excursions. He is Murray and his CC name is Yukon if you want to look it up for an idea of what YOU might do for us for Maui! Thanks

WestMaui,

In another post you said you had a suggestion for "halfway to Hana" if someone did not want to go all the way, or all the way around, or to cut down on fatigue etc. Want to share that?

BTW on the Alaska board there is a "local" who wrote out and "published" for CC or anyone, a play by play description of the drive on the road from Skagway to Whitehorse, Yukon (where to expect to see a bear etc). It has been immensely popular. Not only that, but as a local, he knows what glacier someone has posted a photo of that was not on a tour, and answers every question.

As a matter of fact, it was so popular and people recommended it so much that he was given a free cruise on RCCL for his devotion to tourism for the area. hint hint

And he enjoyed the cruise so much that he now goes (paying) every other year at least. When he returns he writes a detailed review with photos about the excursions. He is Murray and his CC name is Yukon if you want to look it up for an idea of what YOU might do for us for Maui! Thanks

Aloha, Phyllis,

You are too kind!:) I just started a new thread titled MAUI Driving Maps, to try and give everyone some help and ideas about drives. Check it out and stay in touch,

WMaui

Archived