cozumel snorkeling

old hippy

we snorkeled there last year, at Checacanaba (sp) well anyway it was not good for us..the waves made entry into the water using the steps extreamly hard..My wife got pushed under the rail and we had a time getting loose and into the water..needless to say that soured her on the place.. can anyone refer us to good snorkelin, good beach, easy water access there..

thank you for any responce Ed

we snorkeled there last year, at Checacanaba (sp) well anyway it was not good for us..the waves made entry into the water using the steps extreamly hard..My wife got pushed under the rail and we had a time getting loose and into the water..needless to say that soured her on the place.. can anyone refer us to good snorkelin, good beach, easy water access there..

It's been 3 years, but we had a good experience booking the catamaran snorkle through Paradise Beach. I can't remember the exact method for getting in/out of the water, but it wasn't a problem, or I would.

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to try Playa Uvas or Playa Palancar. Both have snorkling tours.

If you found the water entry at Chankanaab too difficult, you're going to have a hard time with shore snorkeling in Cozumel. All of the good shore snorkeling is at rocky beaches, because that gives fish places to hide and coral places to hold on. Sand doesn't work that way for the wildlife, although it's certainly easier on the snorkelers! You may want to look into a snorkeling tour that takes you out on the boat- then you don't have to worry about difficult water entries. and can see better reefs than you can from shore. I know they take snorkel trips out from Playa Palancar if you're looking for a fairly secluded beach toward the south end of the island. I'm sure others know of more options.

Another great operator is Eagle Ray Divers. I've dove with them but understand they run a great 3-reef snorkel excursion.

Eagle Ray is an excellent operator. Each time I've booked a snorkel with them, there was a snorkel/dive mix. Of course each group (small) had a guide.

The last time was the best. The divers wanted to visit Punya Sur. That was absolutely the best reef I've ever snorkeled.

Two things to know:

Eagle Ray offers two snorkel trips. the two goes only to near shore reefs. Those reefs still display evidence of hurricane damage from Wilma.

The three reef snorkel is a full day, six hours, with a lunch stop at Palancar after the last reef. Eagle Ray's boats are slow and I'd had enough boating. After lunch, I simply took a taxi back to the docks from Palancar.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Get a taxi and head to Money Bar for great offshore snorkel and good food. The shoreline between Money Bar and Fiesta Americana is wonderful snorkeling and you don't need a tour. We stayed at Fiesta for 7 days and snorkeled there everyday and saw new and wonderful things including:

Nurse Shark (6' +), rays, eels, trigger fish, trunkfish, cowfish, HUGE barry, angels and much, much more. You will know you're in the right place becasue you will see plenty of local families swimming off the rocky shore. Enjoy!

Archived