Snorkle and Kayaking in Cozumel - good or bad?

PFFlier

Are you asking about a ship's excursion?

Personally I wouldn't do a ship's excursion in Cozumel. If you want to have more choice as to when you use the Kayak or go snorkeling, check out Playa Uvas. They offer the clear kayak. You just take a taxi to get there and leave when you want. They offer several packages starting at $9 a person. http://www.playauvas.com/

Yep, the ship's clear kayak and snorkel excursion goes through Playa Uvas. You can book it cheaper directly through them, and then stay as long as you want rather than being stuck on the cruiseline's schedule. It's an easy cab ride over (like 10 mins, I think). I did this in January 2008 and had a good time- everyone there was great. I'm strongly considering going back to Playa Uvas to do a Discover Scuba dive next time I'm in Cozumel, just because I liked the facilities and the people so much.

One caveat though- in Cozumel, you don't see as much shore snorkeling as you would taking a boat trip further out. One of the recent hurricanes wiped out some of the closer reefs, and it'll take a while for them to bounce back. That said, we saw lots of interesting things at Playa Uvas- an octopus, a moray eel, some stingrays, and lots of tropical fish and some interesting brain coral. There is a freshwater spring that empties into an underwater cave just out from their beach, and the fish love to hang out there. Their guides really do a great job of pointing everything out. I just didn't want you to expect to see what you would at some of the offshore reefs.

Archived