still can't decide if 7.5 hours is too long on a bus in Skagway

hamnerpac

We have everything ironed out, but Skagway. I want to go on the White Pass Railway...wish there was more time on the train, than the bus for some reason. Just not sure about the idea of riding on a bus all day. We want to see scenery, animals, etc....but just not sure. Are considering Chilkoot, but not sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We did an excursion with Dyea Dave - he uses a small bus and is quite a bit cheaper than going through the cruise line. He is homorous, knowledgable, friendly, stops several times for pictures, and we saw 3 bears while on his tour. I can't say enough good about him. Will use him again, and again. The large buses from the cruise ships are too crowded, not enough air, and they don't make the special stops. Call Dyea Dave - however - since he doesn't have a secretary, it may take him a day or 2 to get back to you. Good luck!:)

• 1 month later...

You really don't have a choice I believe, as it depends on the day of the week, which direction the train is going that day. I agree with the above poster; it really shouldn't matter. The bus travels the same road and the train is on the same tracks. Enjoy your trip. It is amazing!!!

Has anyone taken the chilkoot 7.5 hrs tour with the bus first and train back? Anyone have thoughts on which is better? Train first or bus first?

We just did the Chilkoot tour with bus first last Tuesday. The only problem we encountered was it was a warm day in Skagway - about 74° and while the bus had lovely A/C, the train did not and the windows don't open. They did leave the doors on the cars open, but it was miserably hot in the train going down the mountain.

That said, I would highly recommend the tour. The 7½ hours pretty much flew by (well, except that last hour on the train! :rolleyes:) and we really enjoyed the trip.

By the way, I know others asked about bathroom breaks. Our bus did stop at a bathroom on the way up - he said it was about 45 minutes until lunch, so pulled off where there were bathrooms, in case anybody needed to use them.

You really don't have a choice I believe, as it depends on the day of the week, which direction the train is going that day. I agree with the above poster; it really shouldn't matter. The bus travels the same road and the train is on the same tracks. Enjoy your trip. It is amazing!!!

When we booked our tour, we had the choice of train first or bus first. Train first would have had us leaving at 7:30 am, whereas bus first was 8:30 - so we chose bus first and not having to get up as early! :D

When we booked our tour, we had the choice of train first or bus first. Train first would have had us leaving at 7:30 am, whereas bus first was 8:30 - so we chose bus first and not having to get up as early! :D

This was our reason also for considering the bus first. Plus since our ship will dock at 7am officially, there's too many "what if's" like if we dock late, and we get held up on of disembarkation at the port...

Thanks for your info...very helpful. The lack of AC thingy on the train was a great point..

It must be just for the longer tour that I took then. Thanks for the correction. We did the 9 hour tour with Chilkoot and had only one choice and it depended on the day you went.

Archived