Surfing in Cabo

HBcruiser50

We're doing a Mexico cruise in August (RCCL) with a stop in Cabo. My daughter wants to find a surf break where she can rent a board (she's a surfer), and we parents want to just relax and hopefully have some adult refreshments while we watch her surf. Any ideas? I've just started looking at this and appreciate any help. Thanks!

Welllll, that's going to be a bit of a tough one. The only surf spots are north of Cabo and it would be a fairly expensive cab ride. I'm guessing $30 - $40 each way. In addition, I believe there are limited public facilities at the surf beach so sitting back and just enjoying a cold adult beverage may be challenging as well.

Your best option may be to come to Cabo on the cruise and look things over. Then plan a weeks vacation there when you can rent a car (pretty easy driving) and you will have a lot more flexibility. I think once you've seen what Cabo has to offer - great resorts - great nightlife - great food. Planning a land vacation there becomes a no brainer.

Thanks! I'm doing some web surfing and It does not look that simple. A private tour guide might be a solution but it could get pricey just to surf some waves that might be better here at home. Some of those resorts look kind of nice....

Hola...this time of year the surf is breaking between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo rather than at Cerritos which is north of Cabo outside of Todos Santos. There is board rentals (Los Olas which means The Waves) at Costa Azul and places where you can lounge (Zippers Restaurant) while she is surfing. I will tell you a couple of things though...getting there is kinda pricey if you take a taxi with cost about $40US each way but you might find a taxi driver who will negotiate. You can take the bus (which is how I taught one cruise director/surfer that will go nameless to get there) but that is alittle difficult to explain how to do but I can try if you want info.

There are also a couple of surf spots right close together but they range in difficulty...Las Rocas (The Rocks) is just as it sounds...lots of rocks so you should be familiar with that spot to surf without incident. She should be ok if she surfs at Costa Azul though. There is a surf shop of that name - Costa Azul across the highway from the hotel named Cabo Surf Hotel. They have rentals as well as Los Olas down on the beach. Ex-pro surfer Mike Doyle also has shop setup there and gives lessons. There are several other spots that are closer to CSL but no rentals and the conditions can be difficult sometimes as well (Monuments probably being the closest).

Here are a link that also might help you:

http://www.planetasurflarevista.com/surfingmexico.htm (they are the only Mexican surf magazine and published in Cabo!)

And if you Goggle Los Olas, surf break Cabo, Costa Azul surf..you should find some other good info.

I have no idea if this will work...but it may be worth a try.

Last April we booked an all day van for Cabo/San Jose del Cabo through Johann&Sandra.

The driver/guide was named David.....David is a surfer....I suspect he drives the van to pay for the surfer lifestyle he lives!!

He pulled off the highway at a viewpoint on our way to San Jose Del Cabo to show us the surf beaches where he and his friends spend most of their days.

I cannot remember the name of the company he drives for...but...I am sure that if you email Johann&Sandra that they will do the leg work to see if a tour can be built with David just to meet your needs. (That is basically what they did for us.) Our day long adventure was not very expensive so it might be worth looking at.

Good luck with it.

I am assuming you will stop in Puerto Vallarta. If so, you guys can easily go to Sayulita which is where most of the surfing is done in this neck of the woods.

You can take a bus from in front of WalMart, which is across from the cruise ship docks. It takes about an hour to go there and costs 20 Pesos a person, each way.

Sayulita is a little bohemian beach town, just outside of the bay on the Pacific. There are a few places on the main beach there that rent boards, Papas Palapas and el Tigre and plenty of beach side restaurants and bars.

There is also plenty of little shops and such although, being it is low season, many may be closed but the town is still worth a wander around.

He pulled off the highway at a viewpoint on our way to San Jose Del Cabo to show us the surf beaches where he and his friends spend most of their days.

That viewpoint is right above Cabo Surf Hotel and looks out over Costa Azul to the far right and Roca to the left.

Archived