Kids and a notarized letter for friends

megnsamsgracie

I work in a hospital so I know they will treat a child in an emergency. For whatever reason, when we cruise without the kids before we never got any letters for family taking care of our kids. This year, all 4 are going to different homes and 2 are family and 2 are friends. So I want to get a notarized letter giving them permission to treat and make medical decisions if we cant be reached. What should it say? I will give copies to those taking care of our kids and leave a copy at our Drs office.. I can even bring a copy to work and have them scan it into my kids file if I wanted. Need to get a move on as we are under 3 weeks! Anyone know what the letter should say? Thanks!

I'm not an expert but when I leave my kids with my parents I make some simple notation that they have permission to seek medical care and note that I take responsibility for any costs and include my contact information as well as a copy of my insurance card. Additionally, mostly for my parents information, I include all of our doctor/dentist/orthodontist contact information on the same letter. When I leave my kids with my parents, I have never actually worried too much about the language nor have I notarized the letter because like you, I live in a place where no one would deny medical treatment in any case. That said, if you do an online search, you'll find some sample letters that might give you an idea of the language to use.

I have one of these that I update every time we leave the children. It also contains permission for them to pick them up from school and to transport them as necessary. It's on my computer at home. I'll post it later this evening.

I don't have a copy with me at the moment, but Camp Carnival registration forms have something along the lines of "by signing below, you are authorizing us to administer first aid and treat your child." I'll take a look after work.

We just did this... as we went on our cruise without our kids, and they stayed with our youngest son's Godparents.

Basically, it indicated that we'd be out of town and quite possibly unreachable. It indicated that our caregivers have our permission to make medical decisions on our behalf in the event we can't be reached. We listed medications, allergies, and all pertinent information. We stapled copies of their insurance cards to it, as well as a list of ALL emergency contact information, including that of the ship.

We had it signed and notarized.... and thankfully - it was not needed. =)

CHILD CARE AUTHORIZATION

Robert Xxx and Cindy Xxx, the parents or guardians of the below described minors, and legally entitled to give this authorization, grant Judith Yyy temporary authority, limited to the below defined powers, over the following children:

Allison Xxx and Robert Xxx

The powers granted to Judith Yyy are limited to the following:

- To seek medical care for the children, including, but not limited to, visits to the doctor and/or hospital.

- To authorize medical treatment or medical procedures in the event of an emergency situation.

- To provide food and shelter for the above named children, and to make decisions regarding their day-to-day activities.

- To transport the children in the caregiver's car, including authorization to pick the children up from school or daycare.

This grant of authority is effective as of 12/7/2008, and shall remain in effect until terminated by the undersigned parent or guardian.

This grant of authority is signed this _____ day of ________________, 2008, in the County of Zzz, State of Maryland.

Robert Xxx

Cindy Xxx

Thanks guys! I didnt even think about listing allergies... our kids have none but in case of emergency, its nice to know! I have never worried about it before, probably because they were all with family (my mom and my MIL.. 2 a piece) but with friends for 2 of them, I feel much more comfortable just having in CASE! How do I find the phone # for Carnival Valor? And they would just need our room #, right?

Archived