Post cruise excursion LA

ppwlee

Hi,

My wife and I are cruising to LA from Vancouver in Sept, and started to plan our post cruise activities but had some questions on how to pick up our rental car.

One obvious option is taking a cab to the rental company. But we are also thinking of joining the 3-hr LA excursion which ends at LAX, then pick up our rental car and continue with our 4 day holiday in SanDiego. Can anyone comment on the pros/cons of either option, taking into consideration that we will be taking our 2 yr old daughter with us? Any feedback on the excursion would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey ppwlee,

I advised you before, with all considering your two year old daughter...

So my advice here will be with her in mind as well:

The three hour bus tour from the port to LAX is not great, or fun for a two year old!:eek:

You're not going to be adding to your experience in a nice way.

Just get the rental car ASAP near the port - and drive to San Diego to get to your San Diego hotel home base.

Otherwise, you are just dragging it out going hours in a bus, north to LAX (with a 2 year old) only to then turn around to drive the same way back, then more again further to get to San Diego.

I hope that helps.

;)

Are you flying in from Vancouver to LAX? I am sorry, I didn't fully understand your question.

If you fly in to LAX...I highly you rent a car. That way, it gives you the freedom to stop and rest on the way to San Diego. The drive from LAX to San Diego could be very scenic, depend on which route you take.

Once you are in San Diego...it is nice to have a car also to take you places.

Consider of the 2 years old...I think it is much more convenience to drive.

Do you plan to visit Disneyland or the beach before you reach San Diego?

If your port of call is LA...the only bad thing is you have to drive back up to LAX to return the car then take the shuttle back to the port for boarding your cruise.

CJW,

Thanks for the reply. I see your point. Bascially I want some feedback on whether the 3hr LA excursion would be enjoyable to us in general...I am worried about our 2yr old stuck in the bus listening to the tour guide too.

Peter

CJW,

Thanks for the reply. I see your point. Bascially I want some feedback on whether the 3hr LA excursion would be enjoyable to us in general...I am worried about our 2yr old stuck in the bus listening to the tour guide too.

Peter

Peter...

You know that all of my advice to you has been considering your entire family...

If it was just you and your wife - then the 3 hours bus tour would be okay in general.

With your 2 year old daughter - it won't be fun or enjoyable to her, and also you and your wife "with" her - to make it worth that 3 hour effort.

You will all be happier, to just get the rental car ASAP from the port.

Then you can get on your way to San Diego.

If you are even "thinking" about going to LA for a sightsee, with you and your wife - then we get back to your original question...

Where I would recommend staying at least ONE night in the hotels I've recommended before in the LA area.

Then you can all take your time, enjoy the drives, etc.

If that is not in the plans, then once again, I would just recommend to get the rental car ASAP in the port area - and drive to San Diego hotel.

Then you can check in, and have a home base.

Either option works, if you decide to get to San Diego hotel and check in

or get to LA hotel and check in...

But 3 hour bus tour - serves no point or purpose for your family at this moment...

That is not good for a 2 year old in any way shape or form.

Again, I hope that my advice and information helps to make your time in Southern California great!:D

If your toddler is anything like my daughter was at that age, any sightseeing tour would be lost on her. She'll either sleep through it or be totally bored.

Most likely you'll get a better deal on a rental car at a "city" office than at airport locations, so I would suggest you look into San Pedro or Long Beach offices (check what hours and days they're open and whether they do one-ways...and get a confirming email when you make arrangements).

If your child is into animals, she should enjoy Sea World (we took our girl to it when she was only one) or the SD Zoo.

Another related question, how about joining either excursions in Astoria or SF? Would those be worth doing vs us taking our daughter touring around town by our own (thought of taking a cab or bus for nearby area)? Those are my port calls before getting to LA. Thanks.

Archived