Which hotel shoul I choose?

JTfromGA

My husband and I will be in Hawaii a few days prior to our cruise. We are unsure of which hotel to pick from. The four hotels we are looking at are: 1. Outrigger Reef on the Beach 2. Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach 3. The Royal Hawaiian 4. Sheraton Waikiki

I have read about the two Outriggers facilities but not much about the Royal Hawaiian or Sheraton. Can anyone give me information so I can narrow down my choices? What I really need are some of the pro's and especially con's of each.

Thanks! Janice

Of the 4 hotels you listed, my first choice would be The Royal Hawaiian. Second choice would be Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. BUT, my first choice in Waikiki is always the Westin Moana Surfrider (next to Outrigger Waikiki otB).

The Royal Hawaiian is one of the "grand ladies of Waikiki". It has just gone through a major renovation so everything is definitely new and fresh. The RH will be the quietest of properties that you have listed. The grounds are beautiful, the pool is nice (know that pools on Waikiki are not big), the beach location is excellent, and it is close to The Waikiki Beachwalk.

The Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach has one of my favorite Waikiki hangouts (Duke's) right on property. It is a very active site. There will be a lot of people coming and going well into the night. It tends to be a bit noisy with the music from the restaurants. This is not annoying unless you are on a lower floor.

My favorite hotel on Waikiki is the Westin Moana Surfrider. Know that the Westin properties are all non-smoking, though, and they are very serious about the enforcement. (This is a definite pro for us but would obviously be a con for others.) MS is the grand lady of Waikiki. The big porches on the front and back are great for people-watching. Duke's is right next door which is also a pro in my book. :)

If you are going to stay at the Sheraton, the Royal Hawaiian, or Moana Surfrider, be sure to you the Starwood Preferred Guest (www.spg.com) program before you go. It's free - and if you are a member, you will get first chance at upgrades, etc. They also will give you gifts (chocolate covered macadamia nuts, set of postcards, etc - differs based on where you're staying).

Any of your choices would be good.

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier but my computer died. Thank you so much for all the information, especially about the Starwood preferred Guest program. I will definately do that.

Janice

Well it would be the Royal Hawaiian by far. Having said that my two favorite hotels are the Halekulani and the Moana. As a mater of face we are going to Waikiki in September. Since I really cannot decide which I like better, we are staying the first part of our vacation at the Moana and then moving over to Halekulani for the second part. It may seem odd but the service is so nice at both places we want to go to both. So now you have three choices and anyone of them will be memorable. But no matter where you stay be sure and go to the Halekulani for sunset cocktails and Hawaiian music. They have a wonderful setting on the ocean and some really great hula dancing. It is a real treat!

Aloha!

Last year, we stayed at the Royal Hawaiian, pre-renovation, and it was wonderful. I imagine that it must be amazing now. They were closed for nine months. I would definitely recommend it and will stay there again on my next trip.

After reading comments here and on other threads, I finally made my reservations. ;) I ruled out the Sheraton Waikiki since the renovations are not due to be complete until Oct 1 and deadlines are not always met. Some of the other hotels I liked were great but extremely expensive so I decided on the Outriggers Waikiki. I think it will be the most similar to the Sheraton and it's also in the general vacinity. Anyway, thanks for the helpful suggestions!!

After reading comments here and on other threads, I finally made my reservations. ;) I ruled out the Sheraton Waikiki since the renovations are not due to be complete until Oct 1 and deadlines are not always met. Some of the other hotels I liked were great but extremely expensive so I decided on the Outriggers Waikiki. I think it will be the most similar to the Sheraton and it's also in the general vacinity. Anyway, thanks for the helpful suggestions!!

You'll like it there. Outrigger WotB is an excellent choice! One evening, walk next door to the Moana Surfrider and enjoy a drink under the banyan tree at sunset. They have wonderful live Hawaiian music and usually a dancer or two.

Have a FABULOUS trip!

(btw - you probably already know this but just beyond the Surfrider is the Duke Kahanamoku statue. It's just beyond the Surfrider in a little park on the the beach. There is a webcam in front of the statue - here's a link: http://www.honolulu.gov/multimed/waikiki.asp If you look at the webcam, you will often catch people on cell phones waving to their friends and family back home.)

Archived