No more free drinks at Captain's Party?

Froufie

Wow...this is sure an interesting topic...

I love to cruise and mostly it is because it is something totally different than I get to do all the days of my life.....I enjoy getting dressed up and attending formal functions....watching the older passengers dancing in the old style they so loved to do...and I can just see the memories in their faces as they swirl about...and I most certainly know I have spent more than enough for the cruise and the S&S card by the end to enjoy a few "free" drinks...at an elegant party.....

Reading some of the points has absolutely blown me away...from what I can tell some people are so disgruntled with what they are seeing I am certain that perhaps you should find another vacation endeavour....something more up your alley......perhaps a week in a monastry would suffice....because come on guys....yes there are some people that overdo...and even I have been annoyed by people laughing and talking while the captain is trying to speak, but it is not the norm.....it is a "few"....so why should you allow those "few" to ruin your time...I sure don't.....and believe me I love to have fun...but I know how to be a polite "drunk"....well except for that one time..............

Lee

They had freebies on the last cruise I took on the Glory in May.....I did not attend. I have not gone to a Captain's party in years. I would rather sit sipping a good martini in a quiet bar than put up with people grabbing two or three drinks at a time and guzzling them......

I agree. I'm sure the captain is a very charming gentleman, but I doubt I have anything in common with him, and after I shake his hand I seldom see him and never speak to him again. I go mainly for the drinks, and if there are no drinks, why bother?

On the Splendor in April we didn't even meet the captain at the captain's reception. Now that imo made the entire event a joke. Sure they had free drinks on trays which were very limited in selection but WTH is a captain's reception without the entire fan fare they usually make? We could order anything we wanted at the bar at no cost though. In all previous cruises we meet the captain and his staff is introduced. We were told that this particular captain prefers to be introduced at the show for those that have early seating. We did meet him in the show lounge right before that nights show along with his staff but it wasn't the same. I've since read some reviews where this was mentioned again as well. They also had no appetizers.

So if you remove the complimentary drinks, the appetizers AND the captain what exactly is left?? I can't eat the lobster on the ship so this would make skipping "formal" night completely so easy~! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry ....there's actually alcohol in those cocktails??...:eek:

My dH says it is b/c I'm from New Orleans that I can never taste the alcohol in those drinks ;)

I buy my premium margaritas...well worth the price :D

But....I don't believe they should stop serving complimentary cocktails at the "captains cocktail party".....what's next?..... bring your own sheets :eek:

Why in the world would I bother going to the party without free drinks? That's kinda like going to Defensive Driving when you don't have a ticket (only a few people go just to get the insurance discount).

I think no free drinks is a great idea, I was shocked to see all the passengers sitting around the bar with only napkins in front of them and they were waiting. They get ready and sit at the bar and wait for the exact minute and then drink as many as possible just like the OP stated. I find this to be an awful site of gluttony. I see all these folks in tuxedos and gowns and waiting for thier free drinks. They sit and wait until it's free. I had folks complain becasue they see me with a drink and then yell to the bartender this guy has a drink and so does his wife. I look at the guy and tell him the bar is open. I hope this goes fleetwide for the entire industry. It would be nice to restore some class like the good old days, when folks had a drink becasue they wanted one and not becasue it was free.

You need to get a life and get over yourself!

Wouldn't surprise me a bit....and I say good for them. I'd up the price....that would week out the freeloaders and attract only those who have an interest in this lovely reception.

What used to be a special event has turned into a pig trough the last several years. Grabbing as many appetizers as possible' date=' chasing the waiters down to get "one more", drinking as many free beverages as possible.

Next to go will be the Past Guest party...thanks to those who feel entitled to bring the entire family and friends and to others who simply crash it to drink and eat free.

As usual, it's those who take advantage of things who ruin it for the rest of us.....[/quote']

Geeze, you need a life also! You pay for the cruise which includes all the FREE stuff you get. Food, Beverages, Entertainment.........

We deserve all that is offered..............

Great observation, G'ma, and I bet you are right. I do not want to sound like a "snob" but the "over-indulgers" will ruin it for the rest of us. How much can a person drink????? After you are drunk, how much more drunk can you get????? I guess, I just don't get it.

Yep! You don't get it.

My main priority when I cruise is not getting drunk. I do not have to have 20 drinks to enjoy and/or appreciate the captain's party. I also do not need to be drunk 24/7.

Well, good for you!

They had freebies on the last cruise I took on the Glory in May.....I did not attend. I have not gone to a Captain's party in years. I would rather sit sipping a good martini in a quiet bar than put up with people grabbing two or three drinks at a time and guzzling them......

I'm with you, I did not go to the ones on the Freedom when I did my B2B. I figured that I had drank plenty, and did not need anymore :D .

Joanne

Sign of the times...Everyone is cutting back. My friend is an executive with Dade County and they are taking a 10% cut in pay and losing some benefits. We're just not used to this...I don't like it!

And your friend in Dade County has what to do with this thread?

My dH says it is b/c I'm from New Orleans that I can never taste the alcohol in those drinks ;)

I buy my premium margaritas...well worth the price :D

But....I don't believe they should stop serving complimentary cocktails at the "captains cocktail party".....what's next?..... bring your own sheets :eek:

Not really! I hardly drink.. you can say.. i am a light weight.. one drink and i get very uh.. drunk

Not on those party drinks.. I can drink 2 or 3 and not even get a buzz..

When I purchase those same drinks... I definitely can hardly finish one without a huge buzz coming on.. and a headache the next day..

:):p

Oh you must mean the freeloaders that paid $800 to be on the cruise.:rolleyes:

Give me a break. if you don't like us "freeloaders" showing up for the free drinks then YOU should not go to the party.

Dr. Jack

You tell em'!

Give me a break. if you don't like us "freeloaders" showing up for the free drinks then YOU should not go to the party.

Dr. Jack

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You tell em'!

Its such a silly issue.. None of it is really free!:)

Two cruises, down with one to go, and I've never been to a Captain's Party or Past Guest party. And no intention of going. I try to avoid crowds at all costs and don't like feeling obligated to be anywhere.

You don't like crowds and you cruise?

Something just ain't right here!

I think "lobster abuse" costs them more money at dinner that night...Maybe they should do something about that too.

Well, people don't normally make jackasses out of themselves after consuming half dozen lobsters. Drunks become a problem to themselves and others.

As for the gluttons who order everything they can get their hands on - multiple times - they will, no doubt, be the cause of limits being put on premium meals sooner or later. They've already done away with NY strip steak as the "alternative" and some of the shorter cruises have done away with Filet Mignon.......

If folks would simply dine and drink in a civilized manner, we'd all be better off. But, as usualy, those who are ill-mannered and act like they've never seen food or drink before will eventually ruin it for all of us.

We usually sit near the door that the waiters come out of. No warm left-over drinks for us! :D

We wouldn't bother attending a non-hosted Captain's cocktail party.

Celebrity changed theirs on our last trip to a "Captian's champagne toast" - pass

Exactly the point.

They will weed out the freeloaders......

O)nce they do away with the free booze, the over-imbibers will stay away and those of us who enjoy the celebratory atmosphere of the evening will be able to have a great time.....and buy our own drinks.

I can't believe Carnival is doing this. I think it is very "tacky". :(

Cindy

"Tacky" is going to this event and gobbling down as many free drinks as you can get your hands on in 45 minutes.

Tacky and childish.

Maybe Carnival could hand out lets say 3 or so free coupons for drinks for those who come to the the party. This way people can still get there free drinks and Carnival can maybe save a little money. I'm sure they know the main reason everyone goes is for the drinks. How many of you really do want to meet the Captain? The same with the Past Guest Party.

You've missed the entire point of this event.

It is to be welcomed onboard by the Captain, the officers and bridge staff and have an opportunity to listen to some music and enjoy a cocktail before dinner.

It's NOT to provide as many free drinks as you can consume in under an hour.

Now that you mentioned it, they probably will. :eek: I have to admit, sometimes DH and I each ask for 2!

My dH says it is b/c I'm from New Orleans that I can never taste the alcohol in those drinks

I buy my premium margaritas...well worth the price

LOL! Remember the thread a few months ago where a guy was hosting a group and one couple actually DID bring Italian silk or some such, sheets?? Good God. I've read all 4 pages of this and all I gotta say is, if this is all people have to gripe about REALLY, then they're living a pretty good life :eek::rolleyes:

Dr. Jack

Your 800.00 doesn't include booze. The receptions held on board are not to provide you with all the free booze you can toss back.

Your are absolute correct about not liking "freeloaders". They ruin it for everyone......just like the booze smugglers do......

And, I already avoid the "past guest" party which has turned into a free for all drinking party where everyone brings their friends and relatives. It's a joke and a zoo. They'll probably stop those too before long.

Bet they replace it with a reception for Platinum members, though, and bet you have to present your card to get in. That, I'd go to.

Archived