An Insider's Guide to Old San Juan

jinxnb

I had previously mentioned that my neighbor and friend would give me the scoop on what to do in Old San Juan when we're there on Thursday, 7/27. The Carnival Miracle is scheduled to stop in San Juan from 3 pm-12 am. This means, at best, we can be onland from 3:30-11:30 PM. My friend Joe gave me the following advice, since he knew we wanted to stick around San Juan.

1) When you get off the boat, get a cab to El Morro (I know some choose to walk.) If the kites are being sold, buy one and have fun, or just observe the others. This kite advice goes esp. for Sunday visitors. Anyhow, El Morro is NOT to be missed.

2) WHAT IS TO BE MISSED is the slum just under El Morro. Consult a map or ask personnel or locals how to get to Calle Cristo.

3) Follow Calle Cristo. You will soon see a hotel called El Convento. This isa hotel that was converted from an old convent. Supposedly, it is a lovely placeto stop for a drink, and there are great shops, bars, and restaurants nearby. Also, the church across the street is beautiful.

3) Continue south on Calle Cristo (for non-Spanish speakers, it's pronounced "KIE-ay CREE-sto.") Besides fabulous bookstores, clothing shops, and gift shops, you will eventually come to turn left onto Calle FORTALEZA, (Fortaleza is the governor's mansion.) You can easily get tix to the gardens and/or tour to the governor's mansion. (If you're a fan of "Top Chef," this locale played a big part in the next-to-last season.)

4) Across from FORTALEZA is the Parque de las Palomas (doves, although there are mostly pigeons.) Besides awesome street food and excellent street coffee (for real!), you can buy small bags of feed and get pix of yourself COVERED by pigeons...only for those not afraid of birds, obviously.

5) Should you go further south, you will reach the area called SoFo (like SoHo, but instead of South of Houston in NYC or London, this is South of Fortaleza.) There are a ton of bars, restaurants, shops, etc.

ALSO NOTED:

My friend Jose called his PR friends who said the places TO BE lately are:

The Butterfly Museum. http://www.butterflypeople.com/index.html

Apparently, you can view and purchase beautiful butterfly displays, as well as enjoy a lovely lunch. The PR locals give it a big thumbs-up for lunch!

The Parrot Club: http://www.oofrestaurants.com/

NOTES: I plan on following much of this plan, EXCEPT, I don't think I'll take up Parrot Club. I will opt for a nearby place that locals recommend. Also, I will be apt to where the day takes us. Luckily, the end of Old San Juan will lead us close to the piers! :)

Hope this gives some special insight to other sites in SJ!

Couple of comments on your friend's suggestions ...

#2 - The "slum" you speak of is called La Perla, and yes, it is to be avoided. But that's not hard to do ... you actually have to go out of your way to get into that neighborhood. You're not likely to accidentally wander into it.

#3 - If you're walking south on Calle Christo (basically from the area of the cathedral toward the San Juan Bay) you'd have to turn RIGHT onto Fortaleza Street to get to the governor's mansion. IMO, the gardens there are nothing to speak of and the tour of the building itself leaves much to be desired.

#4 - Pigeon Park is not "across from Fortaleza" at all. In order to get from Fortaleza to Pigeon Park, you'd have to walk west on Fortaleza Street back to Calle Christo, where you'd turn right and continue south until the street ends at Capilla del Christo (Christ Chapel). Pigeon Park would then be on your right.

#5 - Restaurants are located all over the city. There are concentrations of them in the mentioned SoFo area (at the west end of Fortaleza Street), on Calle San Francisco, along Recinto Sur, and on San Sebastian Street.

I guess that would depend on when and how long you're in port, and what you find enjoyable.

You could do a self-guided walking tour, go shopping, grab a bite to eat, take a Segway tour, rent a bicycle, take a rum-tasting tour, go for a horse carrige ride, go underwater helmet diving, go to the beach at Escambron, visit one or more of the many museums, visit fort San Cristobal, see a Flamenco show, see the LeLoLai show (but not now in July), catch the ferry to Catano and visit Bacardi, get free drinks at Don Q or the Puerto Rico Tourism Company office .... and that's just in Old San Juan.

If you have time (and the inclination) to travel farther, there are rain forests, ziplines, ATVs, hang gliding, beaches, biobays, wave pools, skate parks, botanical gardens, ...

I guess that would depend on when and how long you're in port, and what you find enjoyable.

You could do a self-guided walking tour, go shopping, grab a bite to eat, take a Segway tour, rent a bicycle, take a rum-tasting tour, go for a horse carrige ride, go underwater helmet diving, go to the beach at Escambron, visit one or more of the many museums, visit fort San Cristobal, see a Flamenco show, see the LeLoLai show (but not now in July), catch the ferry to Catano and visit Bacardi, get free drinks at Don Q or the Puerto Rico Tourism Company office .... and that's just in Old San Juan.

If you have time (and the inclination) to travel farther, there are rain forests, ziplines, ATVs, hang gliding, beaches, biobays, wave pools, skate parks, botanical gardens, ...

Ray...We have read every post you do. We are arriving 3 days early for February cruise and are looking forward to visiting San Juan. We are staying in Old San Juan. I love Latin music and hope to spend some time at some of the local nightclubs.

Your posts have made our planning so much easier.

Thank you

Weldon

... go for a horse carriage ride ...

Ray, question for you. I've done some research, and the only information I've found on carriage rides in Old San Juan are that they are during the day. Is that correct? Nothing at night?

Also, do you know what it would cost, where to arrange for a carriage ride?

We'll be on our honeymoon, spending 4 days pre-cruise in OSJ.

Thanks!

Dana

The horse carriage rides are right on the San Juan Bay waterfront, to the left (west) as you get off the cruise ships. The cost is $35, $50 or $75 per 2 people (depending on the length of the tour) plus $15 per extra person.

They run during the day (especially when there's a ship in port -- for example, yesterday there were no ships and no horses). SOMETIMES they run at night IF there's a ship in port.

Do a Google search for "horse carriage ride old san juan" and you'll find more info. Don't bother calling and trying to make a reservation ... they oftentimes don't answer their phone.

We were there the beginning of the month. We started with a horse and carriage ride through part of town. It covered the Fort Cristo and the governors mansion , columbuis statue. I don't know it was worth the money we spent for it was only like 45 minutes. But it was nice to get a quick view of that part of town. Afterwards we walked to El Morro, then wandered back and saw the Pigeon Park, we stopped in the Butterfly place- was amazing- bought a small set for $20 for our pet sitter. He had a huge wall design that was amazing. We shopped in some little places and finally happened upon a place that made hats. Inside they had lots of handmade central american crafts.Everything was made in PR or central america. We bought some christmas ornaments, and stuff like that. I prefer to buy that kind of stuff over Made in China authnetic PR crafts. Then we headed back to the ship. My daughter got whiny because it was hot but I enjoyed the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ray-

I would love your suggestions...my group of 10 will be in San Juan from 7am-3pm in January. We plan to do the 9-11am Segway tour. And I am tring to arrange a Food Tour for a couple of remaining hours...but if the food tour falls through, what do you suggest we do for the remaining 3-4 hours in San Juan after our segway sightseeing tour????

We want to experience and see as much as we can in the short amount of time we have and I figure the segway tour will give us a great view of the historical landmarks, so then I would love to see/experience local stuff-food, shopping, etc

THANKS!

@Mandy

For shopping, stay in Old San Juan and head to Cristo and Forteleza streets (and many other streets, too).

There are many good restaurants along Forteleza, San Francisco and Recinto Sur. For some more "local" food, take a taxi to Pinones (just east of Isla Verde and between the ocean and the airport).

Ray,

Many years ago I went to a bar in Old San Juan. I think it was called El Primativo. I remember that when you walked in the door, you were actually in an open-air courtyard. It was like sitting in a garden. I think it was the most perfect place I've ever had a drink. I've tried to find something about it online, but nothing. Perhaps it's no longer there. Have you heard of it, or something like it?

Thanks,

Deb

Hey Ray-

I would love your suggestions...my group of 10 will be in San Juan from 7am-3pm in January. We plan to do the 9-11am Segway tour. And I am tring to arrange a Food Tour for a couple of remaining hours...but if the food tour falls through, what do you suggest we do for the remaining 3-4 hours in San Juan after our segway sightseeing tour????

We want to experience and see as much as we can in the short amount of time we have and I figure the segway tour will give us a great view of the historical landmarks, so then I would love to see/experience local stuff-food, shopping, etc

THANKS!

Clicked on your pics link and saw you went to the Poconos, brought back great memories as we stayed there for our honeymoon:D

• 3 weeks later...

Ray, Maybe you can help with this one.

Arriving in San Juan at 4pm on a Sunday in November on EOS RCCL

Other than restaurants any suggestions ? We are interested in OSJ area.

I am concerned that everything will close by 6pm since it is a Sunday evening.

Thanks !

Will check out sites previously mentioned in psots.

Archived