Anyone have recent experience with True Alaskan Charters

cruiserdru

One of our group is suggesting that we go with True Alaskan Charters for our fishing trip out of Ketchikan. One advantage is that they offer Salmon and halibut fishing at the same time.

I tried the search function and only found people who were booked with them back in 2005 and not reports on how it went.

Thanks,

Dru

I fished with True Alaska Charters in June of this year. I was not impressed at all. We went out with Captain Rowdy. I think our trip was one of the first times he had ever been fishing in Ketchikan. As soon as we boarded the boat he started calling other fisherman to see where they were fishing. I don’t think he had a clue on where to go. We first tried to fish for halibut, one small halibut was caught. It seemed that we had to wait forever for him to get the lines ready. We then tried to fish for salmon. Not one salmon was caught. A majority of the time that we were salmon fishing we were nowhere near the other fishing boats, all other boats were fishing close to shore while we were ¼ mile out. At one point the captain was asking passing boats how deep to put the bait because he did not know what he was doing. Once we were back on the boat I overheard five or six others talking about how well the salmon were biting. I didn’t expect to fill my freezer in a six hour trip but I expected the captain to have a little experience. I though the captain would know what he was doing for the amount of money that was spent. If I were you I would look for a different charter. We also booked so we could go halibut and salmon fishing.

Hope you have a great time!

Archived