NCL Lamanai excursion - review

Zeno

Just got back from our NCL Sun cruise on Dec 18. The only ship's excursion we took was the Lamanai and New River Safari excursion in Belize.

Overall Rating of this excursion - very good, well planned and run excursion. It is not cheap ($89) per person but it is an all-day excursion and includes lunch. Normally we do our own excursions but this was a tender port and we just felt more relaxed about going through NCL. Also similar excursions advertised on the net from other companies were really NOT significantly cheaper. It really is an all-day excursion. You are off the ship on one of the first tenders and you return to the ship on one of the last tenders.

What is involved:

Bus ride of approximately one hour to Orange Walk area north of Belize city. Our guide (Mario) pointed out things of interest and passed around a number of nature cards with pictures of Belizean wildlife (This was especially nice - since we saw a number of the birds shown on the cards).

When we reached the docks on the New River, we had a chance to use the washrooms (there was one on the bus) and a number of vendors were set up (carved wooden bowls were tempting). After about 15 minutes at the dock, we boarded the boats (large power boats - ours was the largest in our group of 3 - it was covered and had some very powerful outboard engines.

The ride to Lamanai took about 1.5 hours. We stopped several times to view wildlife - mostly birds (ibis, great blue herons, a kite, jaracana) but we also saw bats, a baby crocodile and some giant termite nests. When not viewing stuff we really zoomed down the river. This would have been fun and exciting EXCEPT unfortunately for us, Belize was experiencing a cold front and zooming down the river was a VERY chilly and wet experience. The lucky people had brought windbreakers and long pants.

When we arrived at Lamanai, we were served lunch immediately (simple but tasty - chicken,beans and rice, saffron rice, cold slaw, bread and soft drink). We had a short free period to look at the gift shop and/or museum. ( I wished we had had more time because we only got to see part of the museum and never saw the gift shop at all but with the limited time available I don't think they could give us anymore free time).

Then we toured the ruins with our guide Mario and saw some of the highlights - 2 pyramids, a ball court, the building with the huge mask carved into the wall and some howler monkeys. The site was fantastic. I could have spent 2 days there. I was most impressed with the mask.

Then we rode the speed boat back to the dock (again very chilly and wet - no stops this time so it took about 45 minutes). Then the bus ride back.

My husband (not normally overly impressed with ruins) enjoyed this excursion because he felt our guide Mario was very well-informed and able to communicate his knowledge effectively. I love Mayan ruins (history major) so except for freezing on the boat I had a great time.

Re: walking - there is defintely some walking involved. I have arthritis in both knees and it was a little tiring for me but OK. I sat down at every opportunity. I think it really depends on your mother's health - how OK she is with moderate walking over slightly uneven ground (for about 45 minutes) and the heat (It can be VERY hot and humid at Lamanai - our chilly day was the exception).

She does ok as long as their are not a lot of stairs or bad inclines. I might have to tell her there is a outlet mall at the end of the trail!!! lol Do you come back the same way as you go, if so I could sit and wait with her while the rest go on. Thanks Again Paul

What sportsterjohn says is pretty accurate. There were a few (non-steep) stairs at the very beginning and in one or 2 spots along the way - nothing significant (unless of course your mother gets a strong urge to climb one of the pyramids - I did not but my husband climbed one). If she goes tell her to wear GOOD COMFORTABLE walking shoes like sneakers - not sandals. There are no steep inclines to speak of (my husband helped me around some tree roots on a minor incline). NOTE: If it has rained recently a couple of spots could be a little slippery when going down inclines- so be prepared to assist her with an arm if this is the case. The day we were there it was dry but I did notice a spot or two that fresh rain would make slippery. Bring lots of water, some insect repellant, a plastic bag (to sit on if it is wet) and every time your guide stops scout out a ruin or bench for her to sit on. (Don't be gauche like me though and accidently sit on an altar - I was sooo embarassed when our guide asked me not to sit there and it was my fault completely - I had missed his description of those stones.) Any steps or benches or walls are perfectly acceptable to sit on.

Hi:

Just back from the 12/10 - 12/20 Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise and took this tour. It was very enjoyable . We saw some small Iguanas enroute to the river and, on the initial cruise to Lamanai, saw some small Crocs, lots of water birds, bats, and more Iguanas. Lamanai was really impressive. I had been to Tulum in Cozumel and it was interesting to see the differences. The Howler Monkeys were very active and quite vocal!

Just as an aside, if you like wildlife and your cruise takes in Costa Rica, do not miss a cruise on the Tortugero canals cruise. We saw a 10 foot croc in the water, 5 foot plus caimans on sand bars, large Iguanas, sloths, 4 separate groups of Howler Monkeys, lots of birds, etc.

Mike

So - Xeno: From dock to dock, how long would you say the Lamanai excursion is? We have limited time in Belize - don't arrive in port till 1:00 p.m./leave at 7 p.m. I'm wondering if I have time for Lamanai - or would Altun Ha be closer?

Carol

Archived