Should I be responsible or cruise?

ManyMore

Guest JJWW

You can read all the "do and don't" you want to.

And this may sound a tad cold however.

LIFE IS WORTH LIVING !

Remember this ,when your in the ground covered in dirt you cant do skip !

I honestly feel there is only so much I have control over. And also that vacation may have a price, but my sanity is worth it. We booked and paid for our cruise prior to my husband being laid off this spring, and we're both looking forward to the break. Being unemployed is stressful and if I were you, I'd go for it.

Unbelievable. This is what is wrong with our country. Honestly. Our government is going trillions of dollars in debt and extending unemployment benefits so people can cruise????? Seriously????

IMO, people that collect unemployment were laid off for reasons out of their control. So if OP can go and not be doing something such as fraud or putting himself in a bigger bind, why not go. There is stigma enough about collecting those benefits so they shouldn't feel like it is a jail sentence too.

I had to collect unemployment a couple of years ago - got laid off due to lack of billable hours at my law firm and I was the most junior of the para's - I don't see there being any "stigma" attached to unemployment benefits.

With that being said, the intent of those benefits is to help families survive until new work can be found, as evidenced by the requirement that you be willing and available to accept any kind of work immediately and I highly doubt vacationing is encouraged or even allowed.

While I was unemployed I know I was at my computer every day signing up with every head hunter in a 50 mile radius, and scouring every search engine available. By doing so, I found temporary work within 4 weeks and permanent work within 7. I would never have dreamed about planning and taking a vacation until I knew I had found work.

So, while you are entitled to your opinion, I too am entitled to mine, and the OP asked the question.

I am in shock!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:. I can't believe some of the answers I'm reading:confused:. Your job is to get a job, not live off the government:mad:.

These are my rules before I take a vacation.......I must have 8 months of household expenses in the bank. The whole vacation paid for before I leave. Plus savings in the bank. That's when I'm entitled to go on a cruise:D

I have always wanted to do some sort of back to back cruise. I found what I think is the perfect one for us out of NO in September. We have friends doing another cruise on another line I don't really care for and their drink prices are much higher but they want us to join them.

What cruiseline has higher price drinks then Carnival:confused:

IMO, people that collect unemployment were laid off for reasons out of their control.

That is not true in all cases (don't know the original OPs case tho). We fired a person for embezzeling from our company (I'm an owner). The ex-employee was arrested for and found guilty of 3 felony charges. Fast forward 6 months and we get a letter from unemployment claiming that they are paying this ex-employee unemployment and charging our account (thereby raising our unemployment rates with the state). I appealed and won so now our account is not being charged the unemployment, it is now coming out of what our state calls an "unmutalized account". So net result is that this employee is indeed collecting unemployment.

In my opinion the original OP is feeling like they are not being responsible about this or they wouldn't have posted in the first place. They posted, "should I be responsible or cruise", my read on that . . . .it's not responsible for them to cruise for some reason.

To the original poster, if you are feeling guilty about it is probably is because you are not being responsible. Only you can answer the financial piece.

That is not true in all cases (don't know the original OPs case tho). We fired a person for embezzeling from our company (I'm an owner). The ex-employee was arrested for and found guilty of 3 felony charges. Fast forward 6 months and we get a letter from unemployment claiming that they are paying this ex-employee unemployment and charging our account (thereby raising our unemployment rates with the state). I appealed and won so now our account is not being charged the unemployment, it is now coming out of what our state calls an "unmutalized account". So net result is that this employee is indeed collecting unemployment.

In my opinion the original OP is feeling like they are not being responsible about this or they wouldn't have posted in the first place. To the original poster, if you are feeling guilty about it is probably is because you are not being responsible. Only you can answer the financial piece.

I guess all states have differant policies on that. Did they start paying him before they had an appeal? Thanks for pointing out how your state handled it. Anyway, we didn't book any cruises for 09 when we saw the economy going bad, thus the reason for the drydocked ship in my avatar. We just didn't feel comfortable going this year.

Yes, started paying immediately, we (company) were notified and we started appeal.

I agree, unemployment has a definitely stigma attached (weather deserved or not deserved).

But in the original OPs case, I think they know they are doing something they shouldn't be or they wouldn't have posed the question they way they did . . . . should I be responsible or should I cruise . . . . they already answered the question on if they were bing responsible or not just in the way the question was asked.

Yes, started paying immediately, we (company) were notified and we started appeal.

I agree, unemployment has a definitely stigma attached (weather deserved or not deserved).

But in the original OPs case, I think they know they are doing something they shouldn't be or they wouldn't have posed the question they way they did . . . . should I be responsible or should I cruise . . . . they already answered the question on if they were bing responsible or not just in the way the question was asked.

Yep, I wouldn't have asked the question myself. I didn't ask the boards about not cruising 09. Just made the decision. We have booked for 10. Here's hoping things get better so I don't have to make that tough decision to cancel:eek:

I'm with you Posh . . . . I keep watching prices and some of them are so low I want to book so bad. I'm holding tight to my cash right now in case this gets any worse. Just cruised about a month ago, had it planned for several months and even changed up that cruise a bit to maximize my money. Didn't spend as much as I usually do.

We haven't cruised since 06 for that very reason. We are booked for December, found the absolute cheapest one we could do, but if I can't pay it off in full in cash (including our fees, excursions and spending money), we will be canceling. Would not even be dreaming about B2B and my DH and I are both still employed.

I'm with you Posh . . . . I keep watching prices and some of them are so low I want to book so bad. I'm holding tight to my cash right now in case this gets any worse. Just cruised about a month ago, had it planned for several months and even changed up that cruise a bit to maximize my money. Didn't spend as much as I usually do.

I'm glad you got to go, it's has been tempting looking at the prices.

We haven't cruised since 06 for that very reason. We are booked for December, found the absolute cheapest one we could do, but if I can't pay it off in full in cash (including our fees, excursions and spending money), we will be canceling. Would not even be dreaming about B2B and my DH and I are both still employed.

Hope you have a great time. We have them paid for too before we go. Things now make that not as easy to do.

At the moment I am actually making a tiny bit more then when I was employed.

There is something so wrong with this sentence to me....

Anyway, I say unless the cruise is already paid off, stay home and find work. Like someone else said, if you have to ask, you must be feeling guilty about even considering it.

Sorry, but as a taxpayer, I have to say I am upset that someone would even consider using MY hard-earned money (paid in taxes) to take a cruise. I don't mind helping someone in need out, but unemployment money IMO should be used to pay necessary living expenses while someone is unemployed and actively searching for a new job. Drinking DODs doesn't count as "actively searching" for a new job and a cruise is certainly not a necessary expense.

If your cruise was paid in full (from your own earned money), then I'd say go and have a great time! But otherwise, please use your time and efforts to find a new job instead of planning a cruise. Then my taxes can go toward helping someone who will use their unemployment benefits for what they are meant for.

Sorry, but as a taxpayer, I have to say I am upset that someone would even consider using MY hard-earned money (paid in taxes) to take a cruise. I don't mind helping someone in need out, but unemployment money IMO should be used to pay necessary living expenses while someone is unemployed and actively searching for a new job. Drinking DODs doesn't count as "actively searching" for a new job and a cruise is certainly not a necessary expense.

If your cruise was paid in full (from your own earned money), then I'd say go and have a great time! But otherwise, please use your time and efforts to find a new job instead of planning a cruise. Then my taxes can go toward helping someone who will use their unemployment benefits for what they are meant for.

Unemployment is paid by the employer and employee..........

OP...I say go! If your finances are OK on your unemployment, why not? It is YOUR unemployment...which YOU and your employer paid into....And it is there to help you live as close to normal as possible while looking for new work. As close to normal as possible for me would include a cruise. Send out a few resumes before you leave and go...You have the time off, relax and recharge and jump back into the job search when you get home. "Responsible" means different things to different people. If you were falling behind on your mortgage, not able to pay utilities etc...That's one thing....If you are OK...GO!

Archived