Should I be responsible or cruise?

ManyMore

To the OP.......You must be very young, so here's something to think about. Your unemployment will run out one-day. If you have to ask Mommy and Daddy for money, they will tell you "FORGET IT" you had

money and you wasted it on a cruise!

Another thing, don't worry if you can't take a cruise until you have vacation time, at your new job. A vacation is something you earn!

Sorry, but as a taxpayer, I have to say I am upset that someone would even consider using MY hard-earned money (paid in taxes) to take a cruise. I don't mind helping someone in need out, but unemployment money IMO should be used to pay necessary living expenses while someone is unemployed and actively searching for a new job. Drinking DODs doesn't count as "actively searching" for a new job and a cruise is certainly not a necessary expense.

If your cruise was paid in full (from your own earned money), then I'd say go and have a great time! But otherwise, please use your time and efforts to find a new job instead of planning a cruise. Then my taxes can go toward helping someone who will use their unemployment benefits for what they are meant for.

We just had this same conversation the other day at work...A hospital where lay offs are happening more and more....Necessary means different things to different people I found...One of the girls was arguing that her $860 a month SUV was a necessity:rolleyes:....I don't know your stand, but to me...my tax dollars going to an expensive unnecessary car month after month are worse than a cruise...Heck I've taken cruises that were less than $840 total! :)

Are you a responsible person or not? Is it more important for you have a good job or to go on a cruise? You didn't give any background information for anyone to give you a good educated answer. Simple things like, married, kids, a place to live. You know those little important responsiblities most people have. If you are asking total strangers what you should do without know anything that might be important to know. I think it is easy for people to figure out the answer to the first question.

Unemployment is paid by the employer and employee..........

That may have been true before but not anymore. So many are collecting unemployment, and then getting extensions for their unemployment because they have been unable to find work (maybe their too busy cruising), that the government is now having to subsidize unemployment. That means your tax dollars and mine. At one point Florida rejected the extended benefits because the Federal government was creating a mandate for which there were not enough funds! Now when that occurs, I will be double taxed - once at the state level and then again at the federal level. So, as much as I wish everyone could take a cruise, I sure as heck am not interested in subsidizing it! Particularly when I am not sure if I can even pay off my own cruise with 2 incomes in our household!

That may have been true before but not anymore. So many are collecting unemployment, and then getting extensions for their unemployment because they have been unable to find work (maybe their too busy cruising), that the government is now having to subsidize unemployment. That means your tax dollars and mine. At one point Florida rejected the extended benefits because the Federal government was creating a mandate for which there were not enough funds! Now when that occurs, I will be double taxed - once at the state level and then again at the federal level. So, as much as I wish everyone could take a cruise, I sure as heck am not interested in subsidizing it! Particularly when I am not sure if I can even pay off my own cruise with 2 incomes in our household!

Well this is a whole other subject.......IF he has been on unemployment and it ran out he may or may not qualify for an extension........I may be wrong but it does not sound like the op ran his benefits out....

Let's not confuse this with other hard working people that have paid into unemployment all their lives and now are collecting........

I didn't vote for him:rolleyes:

Guest JJWW

I've never drew unemployment .

And my house is paid for .

For those of you whom are hanging onto your money.

Lets say you have a heart attack and kick the bucket tomorrow.

So sorry you worked all your life saving money.

Somewhere down the road you forgot to have a life while you were killing yourself with work .

The economy would be in better shape if people would spend money . ? :D

I've never drew unemployment .

And my house is paid for .

For those of you whom are hanging onto your money.

Lets say you have a heart attack and kick the bucket tomorrow.

So sorry you worked all your life saving money.

Somewhere down the road you forgot to have a life while you were killing yourself with work .

The economy would be in better shape if people would spend money . ? :D

Well, I know a couple of people who had that same take on life and are dearly paying the price now (can't even afford a pickle). I've learned from their mistakes will stick with taking care of my responsibilities now and then enjoying myself.

Although, once I'm in your position (no more mortgage), I may be singing a different tune :p

Guest JJWW
I believe the economy is in a bad place because people

did spend.......money they didn't have:D

I believe the economy is in a bad shape because people spend and live beyond their needs. Two car garage, two story homes ! House payments that are a struggle to meet each month. New car every year .

Well you get the idea ! :D

Unbelievable. This is what is wrong with our country. Honestly. Our government is going trillions of dollars in debt and extending unemployment benefits so people can cruise????? Seriously????

First off... it was not my fault I got laid off... two.. I am not taking anything I am not entitled to... third.. I never said I would collect for that week while gone as I no I would not be available to work. I am not collecting SO I can cruise, I just happen to be unemployed while cruising and perhaps I will even be employed by then so you can get off your high horse as I pay my taxes just like everyone else.

I believe the economy is in a bad shape because people spend and live beyond their needs. Two car garage, two story homes ! House payments that are a struggle to meet each month. New car every year .

Well you get the idea ! :D

Yep then gas went to $3.99 a gallon and away we went:eek:

I might even be more sympathetic if we weren't talking about back to back cruising here for crying out loud.

And yes, the economy down here is in the shape it is in because people spent money (bought houses) they could not afford to spend!

All these luxury homes now standing empty because people wanted te big grand homes and weren't responsible enough to recognize that the mortgage payment was out of their ability to pay. Now, those of us who did buy responsibly and have been paying our bills all along are paing the price. Higher interest rates and lowered credit limits on credit cards, lending at a standstill, fewer hours at work, and escalating prices on just about everything.

Yes, our economy needs people to start spending again, however, I don't think infusing government dollars into the cruise industry is the answer. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

I didn't vote for him either.

First off... it was not my fault I got laid off... two.. I am not taking anything I am not entitled to... third.. I never said I would collect for that week while gone as I no I would not be available to work. I am not collecting SO I can cruise, I just happen to be unemployed while cruising and perhaps I will even be employed by then so you can get off your high horse as I pay my taxes just like everyone else.

Go ahead and book it and I'll bet you get a call to start work;)

To the OP.......You must be very young, so here's something to think about. Your unemployment will run out one-day. If you have to ask Mommy and Daddy for money, they will tell you "FORGET IT" you had

money and you wasted it on a cruise!

Another thing, don't worry if you can't take a cruise until you have vacation time, at your new job. A vacation is something you earn!

LOL Nice assumption that I am young, not EVEN close! Although "sometimes" I wish. Actually there is money set aside for me to do with as I wish and no not from unemployment, I'm just trying to decide if I cruise with it as was expected to do with it this year or not. Sheesh you guys are all getting your panties in a bunch! lol I can really set you all off and tell you that I am also able to write off my cruise on my taxes at the end of the year.

<grabbing the popcorn for this one> lol

Based on this one, 2 years ago, they're higher than I remember on my Carnival '07 sailing. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2736381750100731960fmhYdH

LOL! Thanks! But in 2007 I was paying 4.75 for a 16 oz Bud on Carnival.......more then NCL according to this menu.......

I would imagine since Carnival has jacked up their price about 25 cents a year now for the past three years.....they are probably charging the same...

I know I paid 25 cents less on my last Princess cruise in 2007.....I will find out how much it will be on my RCCL next month:D

There is something so wrong with this sentence to me....

Ok to yet another that jumps to some sort of wrong doing conclusion... there is a formula that the state works with... the last 4 quarters worked, take the two highest quarters earning and divide that by the weeks in those two quarters and then half of that. I happened to have 2 quarters that were much higher for me then my average, that they used, plus I am able to make up to a certain amount with my part time job and THAT is why it is a little more then what my "average" week was. So before everyone takes it upon themselves to assume there is something WRONG with the sentence, get your information.

Well this is a whole other subject.......IF he has been on unemployment and it ran out he may or may not qualify for an extension........I may be wrong but it does not sound like the op ran his benefits out....

Let's not confuse this with other hard working people that have paid into unemployment all their lives and now are collecting........

I didn't vote for him:rolleyes:

The OP has been unemployed for 3 weeks and was at the same job for 19 years so not to worry whether or not I PAID into unemployment

Someone has their panties in a KNOT:p;):D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived