Packing tip - carry a spare camera!

taffy12

If you have an old camera, I highly recommend bringing it! I've been on eight cruises, and on three of them, I or someone else in my family has benefited from having a backup.

On a European cruise we took in 2004, my old film camera decided to die halfway through - the lens got stuck out and wouldn't retract. The camera was worthless. Fortunately, my mom had carried both a film and a digital camera, so I used her spare.

Last year when packing for our cruise on Glory, I decided last minute to tuck my old, broken camera into my bag, just in case. It worked fine, but had been dropped and there was now a dark spot in the corner of all of my pictures. Not ideal...but when my new digital camera's lens decided to break - it kept displaying a "lens error" message and I couldn't get the lens to retract or extend or do anything, couldn't take any pictures - I was darn glad I had it.

I'd learned my lesson - always carry a spare! This year, we left a day early to drive down to Cocoa Beach. All was well that night. The next morning, we woke up and started throwing our last-minute things together before leaving to board the ship. My sister pulled out her camera to take a picture - and wouldn't you know, the thing completely died! It wouldn't even turn on and there was nothing we could do to fix it. Fortunately, she was able to use my spare for the week.

Archived