Paid balance to TA, Credit Card statement says name of TA?

jonmar

Booked a voyage this week. The deposit amount appears on my credit card statement as Cunard. TA advises if full payment made by July 13, 2009, I would get 5% off and $200 OBC. So, I make the full payment. Charges on my credit card don't show up in the name of Cunard, but rather the TA. Should I be concerned?

Booked a voyage this week. The deposit amount appears on my credit card statement as Cunard. TA advises if full payment made by July 13, 2009, I would get 5% off and $200 OBC. So, I make the full payment. Charges on my credit card don't show up in the name of Cunard, but rather the TA. Should I be concerned?

Obvioously, you do not have a paid booking with Cunard until they get the money. I had t his happen once to me. TA told me it was a Group and they had to make one single payment to Cruise Line. Everything was OK. I would check it out.

They did this for a couple of reasons.

1. They remit the net to Cunard

2. They get their commission right away

3. If the rate should go down and the client isn't watching the fares, the agency can refare the booking and pocket the difference.

There is no need to pay on the group level at Cunard.... it takes two minutes to put cc's through POLAR.

Also, if the agency went bust before making final payment to Cunard.. you have no cruise.

Do they have any protection like we have, we get everything back, covered by abta, atol, and cridit card protection, im sure you must get the same

Rob, slow down, you're going to hyper-ventilate. There is no protection over there. But you are putting the cart before the horse. There is no reason to suspect any thing has gone wrong, the agent is exactly that - an agent of Cunard acting on their behalf with the OP. Lets get back to this man who likes womens dresses..:eek:

I would be concerned, feel you should contact Cunard. A few years ago a long time agency here in town was sold unbeknown to its clients. Its hours of business was Mon-Friday, 9-4.

A couple of months later the staff left Friday at 5p.m, too late to deposit their pay cheques, Monday at 8.30a.m they went to the office, door locked and through window they saw everything was gone,no desks no computers,just a bare room.

The new owner had not only taken every piece of paper, but of course every cent in the agency bank account, and had left the USA Saturday evening. He was never arrested.

So let's say they keep their commish straight away, is there some reason they would not submit the final payment now?

They will keep it until the very day it is due to the cruiseline.

I will remind you about a very LARGE agency located in NJ which went bust last January. If you do a search.. especially over on the HAL boards.............

that's what can happen.

Rob, slow down, you're going to hyper-ventilate. There is no protection over there. But you are putting the cart before the horse. There is no reason to suspect any thing has gone wrong, the agent is exactly that - an agent of Cunard acting on their behalf with the OP. Lets get back to this man who likes womens dresses..:eek:

True, no reason to think anything is wrong, im just amazed there is no protection for payments, I would just phone cunard and ask, im sure all is well.

They will keep it until the very day it is due to the cruiseline.

I will remind you about a very LARGE agency located in NJ which went bust last January. If you do a search.. especially over on the HAL boards.............

that's what can happen.

So do you suggest I call them and demand they forward the funds now?

So do you suggest I call them and demand they forward the funds now?

Is this the 30Nov sailing?

Final is due 90 days prior.

Had you booked with them before?

I have booked with them before, but not with this problem. I received this email today in response to my questions:

From the accounting department: The early payment savings comes from us, not the cruise line. Cunard receives their balance due 90 days prior. Your credit card company will protect you in any case of failure to pay.

Thoughts???

I have booked with them before, but not with this problem. I received this email today in response to my questions:

From the accounting department: The early payment savings comes from us, not the cruise line. Cunard receives their balance due 90 days prior. Your credit card company will protect you in any case of failure to pay.

Thoughts???

Interest on your money is negligible. The $200 OBC is probably from Cunard maybe part of a group amenity. The 5% is probably a discount from the TA. My guess is they use this approach to limit cancellations or having clients shop around for a better price from another agency.

Interest on your money is negligible. The $200 OBC is probably from Cunard maybe part of a group amenity. The 5% is probably a discount from the TA. My guess is they use this approach to limit cancellations or having clients shop around for a better price from another agency.

Unfortunately, that is not the case at all with the OP's agency. Doing a google search has shown they have a history of double charging client's credit cards and not issuing refunds - but instead making the client go through the process directly with their credit card issuer, not remitting funds when due and not being service-friendly.

If an agency runs your final payment through THEIR merchant account some 7 weeks early and refuses to remit the funds to the cruiseline when you ask them to.........what does that tell you about the integrity of the company to whom you've entrusted your vacation?

Hello My travel agent in the UK have started to do this too & the deposit & final balance are to the TA and no longer Cunard or P & O. I am not worried in the slightest re anything going wrong with the TA or Shipping Line as it's either paid on my Amex or Visa credit card & my bookings are very high value ones i.e. Grill suites & P & O suites so the amounts are signficant for myself & other family members who I book for.

Very interestingly though re the fares changing & the TA taking the difference this does concern but of course in the UK we usually 'suffer' from more expensive fares than the US & then are penalised if we cancel our cruise by losing our deposit or if transferring to another cruise having to pay an admin fee. I certainly have never got a credit from my Travel Agent or Cunard if the fares go down in price like I know a good TA in the US can do for a client! That being said on some occasions in the past when PG single fares on QE2 were reduced greatly & much cheaper that my total fare Cunard have after initial protest 'upgraded' me to QG grade albeit that is what I would have paid had I booked the cruise last minute!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

It tells me that they have a cash flow problem.

Mary

BINGO! They also have a "D" rating from the Better Business Bureau in their local area.

A+ is the best...........F.. is the worst.

Archived