The voyage from hell!!!

garigoun

We like to eat in a decent restuarant with civilised table manners and use of cutlery

Yeah, I prefer cutlery myself. Nothing worse than trying to eat soup with your hands. Still, you can always slurp it straight out of the bowl I suppose. I tend to just use a spoon for everything else - too many yaffling spanners just gets downright confusing.

J

Gari - great review - how was the food & service? The July 4th cruise has had its usual slating......so I wondered if that was the rule or the exception.....?

Peter

Peter, I didn't actually hear any complaints about the July 4th trip from anyone who stayed on board for it.

Food, with the exception of the aforesaid Fish & Chips was good. I'm not a discerning foodie though so my opinion may not be worth much. I enjoyed it, what more can I say?

Service. Restaurant W/bound efficient & friendly. E/bound efficient.

Cabin. Steward was efficient and invisible just the way I like it. Had different cabins and saw the steward once, when he introduced himself in each case.

Golden Lion - only went twice for lunch. Service fast and polite

C.C. Bar. Two excellent waitresses Giorgi and Julia, both got the star award and a little consideration from us for their excellent attitude. Our favourite bar. Always got a seat. Pianists good, different styles. Giorgi is now in the Champagne bar.

What else? Oh yes, a little tale from two of our dinner companions regarding Cunard's shoreside operations.

Their pre-trip docs said, as did ours, that the ship would leave from the new terminal. They arrived by car at their allotted time. Being the astute and observant people that they are they soon noticed a distinct lack of any big black and white boats with a red funnel**. Rang Cunard. Were told that the instructions were correct and they must be at the wrong place.

Rang the Soton Port people and were redirected to QEII berth. Rang Cunard in a spirit of helpfulness to pass on this information and were told that they were wrong. Gave up and went to QEII by this time quite late.

Also there was apparently some hitch at check in after we boarded. Spurious fire alarms shut down the computer system and the baggage conveyor. Some people took over an hour to check in.

Breaking News.

Members will be delighted to know that the 'Society for the Preservation of Very Loud Conversation in Public Places' is flourishing onboard and holds regular meetings in The Library, The Tops and Bottoms of Staircases, any Conveniently Narrow Doorway, and particularly where they see anybody reading. Groups of up to 5 are allowed and new members can join any time at all. There is no join-up fee and the only qualifications are the possession of a LOUD voice and the ability to string clichés together in an apparently neverending stream.

Gari.

** Pepperrn, e'en as I write I can feel your eager hands reaching avidly for your keyboard. To save you a little effort can I say that

Yes, I do know the vessel is painted grey though I must confess complete ignorance of the shade, batch number or drying time. I was exercising a little lierary licence. Grey spoiled the alliterative run.

Gari

Yeah, I prefer cutlery myself. Nothing worse than trying to eat soup with your hands. Still, you can always slurp it straight out of the bowl I suppose. I tend to just use a spoon for everything else - too many yaffling spanners just gets downright confusing.

J

Were you aware that Americans didn't use forks, but spoons and blunted knives, in the early days and that is why, they believe, that Americans now eat using the zigzag method of changing hands when eating. So J, you wouldn't be so different from early Americans in that respect. So continue on with your spoon and just tell everyone you are one of those unmannerly Americans.:)

Gail

Yes, I do know the vessel is painted grey though I must confess complete ignorance of the shade

Its called 'Federal Grey'.....so of course its Black just like Cunard Red is in fact much closer to Orange. Keeps the Cousins guessing.....

Its called 'Federal Grey'.....so of course its Black just like Cunard Red is in fact much closer to Orange. Keeps the Cousins guessing.....

So you are telling me that when I am wearing my green dress and standing by the funnel, I am not celebrating being Eyetalian but am rather celebrating being Eyerish? ;) Oops, wrong thread!

So you are telling me that when I am wearing my green dress and standing by the funnel, I am not celebrating being Eyetalian but am rather celebrating being Eyerish? ;) Oops, wrong thread!

Woudn't that depend on what day it had been the day before (or after....)?

Were you aware that Americans didn't use forks, but spoons and blunted knives, in the early days and that is why, they believe, that Americans now eat using the zigzag method of changing hands when eating. So J, you wouldn't be so different from early Americans in that respect.

In the "early days" before Europe colonized America, or in the early days when "Americans" were Dutch, English, French...?

I know the Mayflower was small, but no room for forks, or did King George have them confiscated at check-in?

Maybe instead of tea, those crates were full of flatware that went over the side into Boston harbor?

;)

Who are "they"? I think "they're" off their rocker. ;)

just tell everyone you are one of those unmannerly Americans.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zFHK2HpvXA

:D

Oh Dear. Pep. Do you always have to be so predictable? Peccavi. Mea Culpa.

A Teabag Using Gari.

I'm putting ice cubes in mine as it's running about 100 F daily, but then, I probably do that year round anyway.:)

Love the review Gari although it did send me scrambling to the World Wide Words site.

As regards the cutlery, I usually bring my own as with the quality of cruise cuisine these days what they offer me is barely adequate. I also find it excellent for emphasizing points of discussion.

It will come as a surprise, but for the most part, Americans don't mind dressing for dinner, it's the few who don't that are so glaringly obvious, much like some European bathing habits!:D

In the "early days" before Europe colonized America, or in the early days when "Americans" were Dutch, English, French...?

I know the Mayflower was small, but no room for forks, or did King George have them confiscated at check-in?

Maybe instead of tea, those crates were full of flatware that went over the side into Boston harbor?

;)

Who are "they"? I think "they're" off their rocker. ;)

I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zFHK2HpvXA

:D

I am quite sure that all those English silver forks were hidden in the bottom of those many boxes of English tea that so infuriated Bostonians. And those boxes, as we all know, were emptied, landing at the bottom of Boston Harbor where they remain today. However, after that, the advent of the fork was not seen in America until well after the Civil War. Thus, the American zig zag style of eating, which to some may look less than refined. But it is as refined as we Americans get! What does anyone expect of us when we were denied our proper utensils?:)

Interestingly, this birth of blunt-tipped knives in Europe had a lasting effect on American dining etiquette. At the beginning of the 18thCentury, very few forks were being imported to America. However, knives were being imported and their tips became progressively blunter. Because Americans had very few forks and no longer had sharp-tipped knives, they had to use spoons in lieu of forks. They would use the spoon to steady food as they cut and then switch the spoon to the opposite hand in order to scoop up food to eat. This distinctly American style of eating continued even after forks became commonplace in the United States.

Garigoun,

I enjoyed reading your review. I also enjoy reading this thread. I am just wondering if you, The Real PM, Cruachan, Wheretonext???, Gav Boy, Rob6852, Pepperrn, Guernseyguy ever cruised together?

As for using utensils, I grew in France; I use continental way. My husband uses American way. You are OK with me as long as you do not put your elbows on the table or lick your fingers . And yes, many Americans do not have table manners.

Happy Crusing

Marie

Garigoun,

I enjoyed reading your review. I also enjoy reading this thread. I am just wondering if you, The Real PM, Cruachan, Wheretonext???, Gav Boy, Rob6852, Pepperrn, Guernseyguy ever cruised together?

Marie

Gari and I on the same ship!!! :eek:

Hell's teeth, it could be the end of civilisation as we know it. We'd probably end up being banned from Cunard for life. :D

J

Garigoun,

As for using utensils, I grew in France; I use continental way. My husband uses American way. You are OK with me as long as you do not put your elbows on the table or lick your fingers . And yes, many Americans do not have table manners.

Happy Crusing

Marie

No never for me, but it sounds like fun :eek: ;)

A new long running Soap Opera, any ideas for a title :confused: :D

Gav :cool:

Garigoun,

I am just wondering if you, The Real PM, Cruachan, Wheretonext???, Gav Boy, Rob6852, Pepperrn, Guernseyguy ever cruised together?

Marie

Excuse ME!!! I do have standards you know.

Gari

Archived