Water Taxi

tlund

Anyone take the water taxi to Caye Caulker? If so, do you catch the water taxis right at the cruise port or do we have to get ourselves somewhere else? Any suggestions on which company to use? Are they reliable?

It's not IN the port, but a few blocks away. Less than 10 minutes as I remember it.

The ride to Caye Caulker was about 40 minutes. Water taxis have a schedule posted just like a bus station & from what we saw, are pretty reliable.

The best day we had last cruise was doing this. Son & I rode the water taxi over to the island. We walked down the main (dirt) street in town to the far end where the folks said the best beach was. There's a little bar there that serves some munchies, sodas, and mixed drinks (try the Lizard Juice -- they are POTENT!!)

The beach is sandy and gradually drops off so DS had a place to play. I snorkeled right from the beach. Here is DS (7) holding up a starfish I found (taken back right after the pic!)

537090600_Starfish2_640x426.jpg

There are two water taxi services to Caye Caulker... Caye Caulker Water Taxi and the San Pedro Express. Either one costs $12.50 for a round trip ticket.

I've used both taxi services(they're equally good and reliable), but if you're coming from a cruise ship via the port village, i'd probally suggest that you use the San Perdo Express because of it's close proximity to where you will be dropped off by the cruise ship tender.

To get to the San Pedro Express Terminal... simply walklthrough the Port Village(the area where you will be dropped off)... out the main gate... take a left and the San Pedro Express Terminal will be right there(at the end of the walkway right by the water). It's literally right next door to the Port Village. http://sanpedrowatertaxi.com/

If for any reason you'd rather take the Caye Caulker Water Taxi walk through the Port Village(the area where you will be dropped off)... out the main gate... take a left and continue for about 300 yards. The Caye Caulker Water Taxi Termnial is on your left right before you get to the swing bridge. http://www.cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com/

*Both taxi services stop off at Caye Caulker first before proceeding to San Pedro.

water-taxi.jpg

• 5 months later...
There are two water taxi services to Caye Caulker... Caye Caulker Water Taxi and the San Pedro Express. Either one costs $12.50 for a round trip ticket.

I've used both taxi services(they're equally good and reliable), but if you're coming from a cruise ship via the port village, i'd probally suggest that you use the San Perdo Express because of it's close proximity to where you will be dropped off by the cruise ship tender.

To get to the San Pedro Express Terminal... simply walklthrough the Port Village(the area where you will be dropped off)... out the main gate... take a left and the San Pedro Express Terminal will be right there(at the end of the walkway right by the water). It's literally right next door to the Port Village. http://sanpedrowatertaxi.com/

If for any reason you'd rather take the Caye Caulker Water Taxi walk through the Port Village(the area where you will be dropped off)... out the main gate... take a left and continue for about 300 yards. The Caye Caulker Water Taxi Termnial is on your left right before you get to the swing bridge. http://www.cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com/

*Both taxi services stop off at Caye Caulker first before proceeding to San Pedro.

water-taxi.jpg

Does anyone know what the schedules are for the two taxis.

The map that was posted was great !

( http://lh4.ggpht.com/_AAAwqK5kC6o/Sm...water-taxi.jpg )

And I'm assuming you can't go on one, and return on the other.... ? correct

Thanks for the great map. I have two questions. For some reason I remember reading somewhere that it was better NOT to take the San Pedro water taxi but I can't remember why (from past threads month ago I think). Does anyone know the advantages/disadvantages of either? Of course I would rather take the San Pedro because it is closer.

Also, I was looking at the water taxi pics online. Some boats are covered and some are not. What are the chances of getting a covered boat? Are there different size boats?

Thanks for the great map. I have two questions. For some reason I remember reading somewhere that it was better NOT to take the San Pedro water taxi but I can't remember why (from past threads month ago I think). Does anyone know the advantages/disadvantages of either? Of course I would rather take the San Pedro because it is closer.

Also, I was looking at the water taxi pics online. Some boats are covered and some are not. What are the chances of getting a covered boat? Are there different size boats?

Sorry i am piggybacking all your posts for this - but i am interested in the same information.

No problem. Hopefully we will get some replies.

I am going to post my questions to this thread too:

I just found out a few minutes ago that Coral Breezes will not allow NCL passengers on any of their Caye Caulker tours because they said that the NCL's tender operations are slow, so I guess this means we have to use the water taxi (Or, are there any other private tour options?). I am still confused though about which one to use, the Caye Caulker or San Pedro one and why? I know that the San Pedro water taxi is closer but I seem to remember that there were reasons to use one over the other but can't remember. Also, about ship time vs. Belize time, that confuses me as well. We can probably be off the ship by 9:00 then the ship leaves at 6:00 (all ship time on April 1st). Can anyone let me know what is the best way to go about this. Thanks so much! Since we are bringing our 5 children, we want to make it as smooth as possible.

Here is the water taxi schedule for the Belize Water Taxi. They charged us $ 15 total for the 2 of us.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Just remember, they may change their schedule because of things like weather problems. Also, don't plan on taking the last possible water taxi back - just in case things do go wrong. And if things DO go wrong, have $ 200 ready to pay a private tour operator to take you back.:D

We were there for a very short period of time on a day that the weather was horrible. (You can read my whole Belize adventure story in the link in my signature.) So, I can't give a very balanced impression of Caye Caulker. From what I saw on that day, it is more for those who want to wander around and look at shops and experience more authentic Belize living than what you see around touristy resort areas. There really aren't any nice "beach" areas. So, it probably depends on the age of your children and their interests. I think there are tour operators you can book with on Caye Caulker who will take you out snorkeling - so that could be an option, too.

We were there for a very short period of time on a day that the weather was horrible. (You can read my whole Belize adventure story in the link in my signature.) So, I can't give a very balanced impression of Caye Caulker. From what I saw on that day, it is more for those who want to wander around and look at shops and experience more authentic Belize living than what you see around touristy resort areas. There really aren't any nice "beach" areas. So, it probably depends on the age of your children and their interests. I think there are tour operators you can book with on Caye Caulker who will take you out snorkeling - so that could be an option, too.

I just read your fantastic review!!! I think I'll go to Bannister Island instead......unless the weather is as threatening as when you were in Belize.:eek: Travelling adventures are fun aren't they??

We have a pretty strong sense of humor so it made for a great story.:D

If I ever go back to Belize, I would probably stick with a cruise excursion and probably go to Bannister Island or one of the other snorkeling choices. Hope you have a great time. And personally, if I were taking children, I would choose Bannister over Caye Caulker.

Archived