What is the best way to carry cash?

Racefan

What is the best way to carry cash when you are going on a shore excursion

that you have to wear a swimming suit?

Buy what's called a "water wallet" (usually they sell them on the ship). It's a waterproof container you wear on a lanyard or strapped to your wrist or ankle. Or look for a swimsuit with a zippered pocket (pretty common on men's suits--not so much on ladies').

Kathi & Leo

You will also find that almost anyone will take cash that has gotten wet. I have tried to keep it dry, but am not always successful. I have tipped divemasters, etc with wet bills....they did not even think twice and still gave a big thank you!

So people put it in a pocket in their log book. I just toss my wallet in the zippered bag I keep my log book in, then put that in a dry area of the boat. In Cozumel that is usually in the netting overhead. On local dive boats, I leave it in my dry bag in the boat cabin.

The small water-proof cases with an adjustable cord on them fit around your waist. They hold one ID, one credit card, two travellers checks, one or two bills of cash. Most tourist places have them. Should also be some aboard ship. Ask the clerks in the gift shops. Or check on-line dive shops. Min

Jeff and Cayman bound,

I'd be a little leary about those boxes there, me and my fellow instructors used to take them down and watch them implode for fun!!! Impressive!! (They're really only good to about 30 feet or so)

Everyone else is right, if you're going to tip us, we will receive it with a smile, wet or dry, makes no difference!! So you can either take it with you, or leave it in your dry bag on the boat. Nothing will happen to it, since we all like our jobs and are honor bound to watch over our guest's belongings.

• 5 weeks later...
I am looking for one of those boxes that can go down to 100 ft. Anyone know of any and where I can buy one online?

I have a Hanimex Amphibian underwater camera that is rated down to 150' and has been as deep as 200' with no leakage or damage of any sort. I don't know how big a box you need or what you want to put in the box but if someone wanted a good place to keep a limited volume of things dry while diving this would do it. It is a 35mm film camera so just don't put the roll of film in and put whatever you want to keep dry in place of the film. By the way I bought this camera via an eBay auction about a year ago and paid under $30 for it. By the way it is a great underwater camera so check on eBay if this alternative works for you.

Enjoy that next dive trip.

Archived