Parking and Embarkation in NYC

mrsbojamp

We're leaving on the Dawn this Sunday, July 17. We've always parked at the terminal after dropping off a family member to stay with the luggage. I've read one thread on this forum that stated that there are luggage attendants right in the parking area. Can anyone confirm this? It would be so much easier and less stressful if we didn't have to separate. Thanks, fellow CC'ers!

We were on the Dawn June 28th-July 5th. When we arrived in NYC, we pulled up to the curb, dropped off the luggage with a porter and then my husband drove up and parked.

It was very easy!

When we went in June we dropped the luggage on the lower level and then proceeded forward expecting to go up to the parking as we had previously.

WRONG. We had to circle around and enter again in order to go up to parking.

The ramp to the parking is now on your right as you start to enter the terminal and yes, you could drop your luggage up there.

I don't know if this has changed in recent weeks or not.

We sailed May 17-24, 2009. Drive up the ramp at 55th Street. Follow the sign to "Parking" to go up on the roof. Porters are up there.

When we returned, we found our luggage, and had a porter take us in the elevator up to the roof. Unfortunately, it was "Fleet Week" in NY so the car wasn't above the same pier as the Dawn. The porter pushed his trolley all the way over to the next pier. He put the luggage into the car for us. We gave him a nice tip because we really appreciated all this.

In the past, we returned to the same pier that we used for embarkation.

The piers are all connected by pathways and roadways.

We always aim to arrive at the pier between 11-11:30 A.M. Pay with MC, Visa, or cash when you enter. We've used this parking many, many times. It's a pleasure!

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Thanks for your responses. I'm really getting excited now. Only 2 days left to go. We will aim to arrive around 11ish. Last year, there was a ton of traffic getting there. The West Side Highway was totally backed up because there were so many ships in port. I think there are only 2 scheduled this year.

We are leaving for our first cruise on 7/19 out of NY on the Dawn and are very excited. We're from NY originally (husband still works there) however, we live in NJ. I have booked a cab service to pick us up and do a round trip and the cost is $350 (not including tip)!

I am in now way cheap or looking to nickel and dime but, would much rather spend money on the cruise than for the cab.

So, my question is this....for all of you that have used the parking at the Port Authority lot on 55th & 12th, have you ever had a problem getting a spot, etc.? There is staff there to take your luggage to the ship and, is this lot specifically for the Dawn?

Thank you in advance.

I have been really enjoying reading all the different threads and look forwrad to forming an opinion of my own!

We are also on this Sunday's sailing of the Dawn and can't wait.

There are Porters on the parking deck. If you don't see them just wait a few minutes because when their cart fills up they take it down and then return in a minute or two.

This time we are taking a taxi it's only around a 20 minute ride from home .

Don't be afraid to drive to the pier and go up the parking ramp. We have done it twice for the Dawn and Miracle. We came in from Massachusetts and there was a backup, but not bad. After parking your vehicle, you take the elevator down and embark. The easiest parking of all was at the Brooklyn terminal. Literally right beside the terminal building.

Archived