Maui questions

love2cruiseseattle

We are going to Maui for a week this fall on vacation. This is our first visit and I would like to get some suggestions from everyone on the following:

Best places to eat

Any recommended tours

Must things to do

Must things to see

Best beaches

Any beaches where you can watch surfing

Best shopping

And of course anything else that you can suggest.

We will have a rental car and will be staying at the Fairmont.

I appreciate all of your recommendations.

Thank you.

I'm not going to be much help on the Wailea side of the island - other than to suggest going to Paia and Makawao. Great galleries, cafes, boutiques...and bakeries!

I tend to hang out on the West Maui side of the island. Over there, I can recommend my favorite restaurant - The Pineapple Grill up at Kapalua. Downtown Lahaina has my other two favorite restaurants on the island - Lahaina Fish Company and Kimo's.

One of my absolute favorite excursions on Maui is a sail on the Gemini. (www.geminicharters.com) If you would like to snorkel, they do Honolua Bay in the summer - early fall months. imo, HB is the best snorkeling on the island.

Shopping - the shops at Wailea are nice. But, I like downtown Lahaina or Whaler's Village. Of course, there are some great little places in Paia and Makawao to pick up some unique things, too. My favorite jewelry store on the island is Na Hoku (www.nahoku.com). They make their jewelry in the islands. Great quality, pretty pieces.

Hope you have a fabulous trip! Maui is one of my absolute favorite places on Earth.

Aloha and welcome (in advance)! Please excuse my failure to use diacritical marks and proper spacing of Hawaiian names and places-I'm using the most common form for your ease and others.

The first thing is your week will fly by...and Maui can't be fully appreciated in only what is really five days. You will pretty much lose a day each way traveling...yes, even with a red-eye flight out. I'm sure the Fairmont Kea Lani will be happy to store your luggage for you after checkout (usually 12 noon) on your last day, but you'll probabaly want to keep in mind that you'll not be able to shower/etc. once you've checked out.

The Fairmont is fun-some of us call it "Arabian Nights" because its architecture is very "Moorish". It is in the middle of the Wailea strip, pretty much. Farther south is Makena, and the remains of the "King's Highway", a very rough but neat trail. Beaches can be very rough/rocky the farther south you go-wear something more than slippers. Wailea has lots of shopping, as previously commented, and restaurants too. It's pricey, though. If you go farther north into Kihei, the prices drop quite a bit, and the value shopping (Yeah, Long's Drug's!) is also better.

Upcountry-the areas which include Makawao, Kula, and Haliimaile, are beautiful and fun too. Makawao is our cowboy town, still has a saddlery shop. And yes...Komoda's Bakery, known for their cream puffs. Kula covers part of the slopes of Haleakala, and has lots of ranches, etc. The goat farm, Surfing Goat Dairy, is in the Kula area. So are flower farms and way down past Keokea is Ulupalakua, an old ranch site. It has a winery (not that great, sorry) and the tasting room was once a cottage for King David Kalauakaua. It's a very pretty area.

Paia is known as our "Hippie Town". I used to say the hippies came in the 60's and are now in their 60's! It's a quirky place. Good food at Charlie's (partially owned by Willie Nelson), Paia General Store, the Fish Market. The original Maui Crafts Guild is also in Paia. If you do Makawao first, then take Baldwin Avenue down to Paia, you could stop at the Hui Noeau, which is an old estate converted into an arts and learning center. Incredible views from the estate, and some really pretty art as well. Then into Paia, and out of Paia towards Haiku. Along the way, you'll see the beach park where some of the best windsurfers (Hookipa) hang out. If the surf's up, it's worth stopping at the upper park and watching them. The water's a very bright turquoise blue, makes for great photos. Haiku is inland slightly, it's an old cannery/farming area. Fun to wander through if you have time. The road from Haiku becomes the road to Hana...which is an entire day in itself. I don't recommend it for folks who are here for less than a week, it's just so long. Go partway-maybe to Twin Falls or Keanae, and call it 'done'.

Central Maui doesn't have much tourist focus. Yes, Costco, Home Depot, etc. are there (and the airport). A good place for a bite is the Dunes at Maui Lani golf course, about 15 minutes from the airport. Casual, easy, nice setting and lots of food for a decent price.

Maalaea is where the aquarium is, as well as the harbor for the Molokini tour boats. There's a center there with assorted shops, also several restaurants. I like Maalea Grill. Then over the Pali towards Lahaina.

The West side includes Lahaina, Kaanapali, Honokawai, Kahana, Napili, and Kapalua. Each are distinct and each have pros and cons.

Lahaina is "town". Lots of restaurants, from Burger King at one end of Front St., to Hard Rock Cafe at the other. Some that are in between are Bubba Gump's, Longhi's, Kimo's, and Da' Kitchen. Da Kitchen is local food at great prices and huge servings. Lots of shops there on Front St. too.

Farther up, there's Kaanapali-and Whaler's Village is fun. Restaurants there include Leilani's (a sister to Kimo's) and Hula Grill (partially related to Kimo's). Both are beachfront. The owner of Sansei is supposed to open a new restaurant there soon, but it hasn't happened yet.

Kahana has lots of condos-so does Honokawai. Not as much shppoing except kind of the "usual". Kahana Gateway Center has Roy's, Maui Brewing Company, and RB's Steakhouse. The beers at Maui Brewing Company are very good, and food is way better than it was for a while. Very friendly staff.

Napili is known for the bay and some very clear snorkeling, if conditions are right. Kapalua is pricey, but Honolua General Store has some good takeout food, and if you're feeling $$$, eat dinner at Merriman's. It used to be the Bay Club-one of the prettiest settings in the state. The original Sansei is near Honolua store-open for dinner only. It specializes in Sushi but has cooked food too. Other restaurants include the Plantation, which sits on the Plantation Golf Course, just north of Kapalua. Wonderful, wonderful views over the ocean, and good food and service is better than it was for a while.... While I like the food at Pineapple Grill, I've had inadequate service there too often, so I don't go there much.

Are you all exhausted now?!! Hope these give readers some ideas and help. As for activities, there are a ton-you may wish to do some reading and narrow your questions down...or risk a horribly long reply like this one!!!:eek:

Aloha West Maui, I was wondering if you could tell me if our plan is doable. We will be in Lahaina on a cruise, for 2 days, and here is our plan:

1st day : AM Cab to Ka'anapali Beach, Whaler's Village, lunch at Hula Grill

PM Cab back to Lahaina, visit the town and at 4H30, depart for the Luau, at Old Lahaina Luau.

2nd day : Rent a car at the airport, drive to Iao Valley, tropical plantation, Kalului, Kanaha Beach. Or after Iao Valley, drive south to Kihai, Wailea and Makena State Park. Return the car at the airport for 3H30.

Does this plan make any sense ?

Thank you for your reply. If you have any suggestions, don't hesitate to share them with me.

Mahalo. :)

We did the Old Lahaina Luau. It's $92/pp which included all you can eat food and all you can drink beverages as well as a dynamite hula show. Mat seating gets you a table up front by the stage where you sit on pillow mats. Table seating is also available if you prefer.

It books up, so make your reservation in advance if you'd like to go.

www.oldlahainaluau.com

We did the Old Lahaina Luau. It's $92/pp which included all you can eat food and all you can drink beverages as well as a dynamite hula show. Mat seating gets you a table up front by the stage where you sit on pillow mats. Table seating is also available if you prefer.

It books up, so make your reservation in advance if you'd like to go.

www.oldlahainaluau.com

Thanks for the info. We are already booked. :)

Aloha West Maui, I was wondering if you could tell me if our plan is doable. We will be in Lahaina on a cruise, for 2 days, and here is our plan:

1st day : AM Cab to Ka'anapali Beach, Whaler's Village, lunch at Hula Grill

PM Cab back to Lahaina, visit the town and at 4H30, depart for the Luau, at Old Lahaina Luau.

2nd day : Rent a car at the airport, drive to Iao Valley, tropical plantation, Kalului, Kanaha Beach. Or after Iao Valley, drive south to Kihai, Wailea and Makena State Park. Return the car at the airport for 3H30.

Does this plan make any sense ?

Thank you for your reply. If you have any suggestions, don't hesitate to share them with me.

Mahalo. :)

Aloha,

Your first day sounds like a winner! Good move to cab it from the Luau after all those mai-tais. Old Lahaina Luau is at the north end of Lahaina town, behind or makai (oceanside) of the Cannery Mall. It's not a long trip back to the Harbor but probably not one you'll want to walk.

Your second day is a little more problematic. Usually, you can't get rental cars before about 8 AM. The Tropical Plantation is on the way to I'ao Valley; frankly, I'd pass it by and go on. I'ao is worth it. As for Kahului-was there something specific you were planning there?

From I'ao to Makena the drive is around an hour or more. I'd recommend going to the farthest chosen point first and working your way back. But here's where the timing becomes tight-you'll need to allow 1 1/2 hours for the afternoon drive from Wailea to the rental car return in Honokawai (north of Lahaina).

If by chance there's a non-drinker in your group, you could be better off to rent the car for two days. Whaler's Village has a large garage and validated parking stamps are readily available. This way, you'd be able to leave early the morning of the second day. Also, depending on the rental rate, you might spend just as much on cabs by the time you're done.

While I like the food at Pineapple Grill, I've had inadequate service there too often, so I don't go there much.

Happy to say that I've never experienced "inadequate" - or anything remotely close - in the dozens of times I've dined at the Pineapple Grill! The food and service have always been top-notch on my visits to the PG. And, since it won the restaurant of the year award this year from Maui No Ka Oi magazine, my guess is that the service has been more than adequate for many others as well. Sorry your PG experiences have proven otherwise for you.

And for those of you who find such things important, Pineapple Grill is one of the certified Maui Seafood Watch program restaurants. Pacific Whale Foundation (as part of the Monterray Bay Aquarium project) has identified the Hawaiian restaurants that serve sustainable seafood - and Pineapple Grill was the first program member. Here's a place for more info on the program and other Maui restaurants participating: http://www.pacificwhale.org/issues/issues_details.php?id=394 (scroll down towards the bottom of the article for the list of Maui restaurants).

Aloha,

You're welcome! Lucky you "got time" to read and research. You may want to also visit trip advisor for reviews. Just like this board, they are opinions, and not always in agreement with each other...but there are some thoughtful takes on everything from tours to hotels to restaurants.

No matter what you decide, have a wonderful time. If you have more q's I'll be happy to try and assist further.

"Happy to say that I've never experienced "inadequate" - or anything remotely close - in the dozens of times I've dined at the Pineapple Grill! The food and service have always been top-notch on my visits to the PG. And, since it won the restaurant of the year award this year from Maui No Ka Oi magazine, my guess is that the service has been more than adequate for many others as well. Sorry your PG experiences have proven otherwise for you."

Dear Beachforme,

It is clear that you are a huge fan of Pineapple Grill, and that's based on your "dozens of vists". Perhaps you recive different treatment than a local or 'regular tourist', due to your frequent visits and constant recommendations?

I respect your opinion, but was expressing mine. I know one of the co-owners of the restaurant, and also the 'new' chef, who are outstanding people. My comments were based on numerous visits, mostly for lunch, as well as guest reviews, when I was in tourism. I was just there a few weeks ago--and the service was pitifully slow, despite the room being less than half full. So I must stand by my remarks. I'd love to see this improve-as would others with the same comments. The food is very good-and if the service would match it, Cohn Restaurant Group will have a long term winner. Also, please know that I do volunteer work for a non-profit which benefited hugely from a benefit Chris and Pineapple Grill sponsored. Unfortunately, the restaurant is not able to do the benefit this year.

In summary, I am not a fan of certain aspects of Pineapple Grill-but know and appreciate things they do well, in addition to things they've done for Maui's community.

Thank you for all of this great information.

How is the food at Mama's?

Is there a place on Maui to watch surfing?

If we did a tour on a boat (Molokini tour boats) is the water very choppy?

Is the road to Hana as bad as they say for people who tend to get car sick?

How is the aquarium?

thanks again for all of the information everyone is providing me and everyone else:).

Let me know if you ever need information on the Seattle, WA area.

Just want to make one thing PERFECTLY clear, I never mention to any restaurant, shop, ship or hotel that I comment on cruisecritic. I have never received any special treatment/service based on anything I've ever posted here - nor would I expect or want to. :rolleyes:

You are correct, I am a "huge fan of PG". And as you pointed out, we are entitled to our differing opinions. :)

Thank you for all of this great information.

How is the food at Mama's?

Is there a place on Maui to watch surfing?

If we did a tour on a boat (Molokini tour boats) is the water very choppy?

Is the road to Hana as bad as they say for people who tend to get car sick?

How is the aquarium?

thanks again for all of the information everyone is providing me and everyone else:).

Let me know if you ever need information on the Seattle, WA area.

Aloha,

I find the food overrated at Mama's anymore. Sorry-I seem to be living up to my reputation of "brutally frank, but honest"! The setting is spectacular-one of the 'postcard' moments, for sure. I'd go for lunch-which will still run around 30-40 pp, if you have a drink. Dinner usually runs around 100pp. From the Kea Lani, you would also be looking at an hour or so drive at night. Remember, our roads are unlit...

A shorter drive, and great food-would be Haliimaile General Store. It's owned by Bev Gannon, one of our original Pacific Rim chefs and the food is super. She also just took over the Seawatch Restaurant in Wailea-but I don't think she's decided on menu changes there yet. Haliimaile would be a 40 minute or so drive, easier roads than Mama's.

Surfing spots will depend on the direction of the swells. You said you were coming in the fall-can you be more specific? A general rule of thumb is that winter swells come into the north and west sides, summer swells hit the south. But there's hardly a day that someone isn't surfing...somewhere!

Hana. Oh, boy. A hot topic. There are 617-649 hairpin curves (depending on who did the counting and how many libations they had, I think). There are 54 one lane bridges, if you went all the way around the back. Yes, some people do have trouble with motion sickness, unless they are doing the driving. However, one option is to only go partway. Another is to remember that the road itself is the journey, not getting to Hana. So relax and stop often!

The aquarium is very well done. Most people think Maui's is much better than Honolulu's. It's got some very interesting displays and a gigantic tank with seating around it. There's also a tunnel which even has windows in the floor. The restaurant there, the Seascape, is good and reasonably priced.

Molokini...uh-oh, here I go again! If you search these boards, I think you will confirm what I've said since about 1999. Molokini is not what it used to be and just not worth it, with very few exceptions. First, you may or may not go there-due to conditions. Second, unless you take a very early trip, you may see more feet than fish. Third, your return across the channel may be very rough. The boat companies vary widely in price and amenities. Snorkel trips from the West side, especially Ka'anapali, tend to be more expensive but overall, a less crowded and very nice experience. They will moor at one of several places along the West/north coast, depending on conditions. Although Molokini gets tons of publicity, Honolua Bay is also a marine conservation district, and the boats are far enough out that you are snorkeling in deeper water with lots of active, beautiful sights. If they anchor near Olowalu, again, they are pretty far beyond the shoreline snorkeling. The Ka'anapali boats leave between 10 and 11 am generally, and the trips are about 4-4 1/2 hours. There are also boats which offer trips to Lanai for the day; they leave from Lahaina Harbor. These can be great, and a neat way to briefly see another island.

Wish I could come visit Seattle and take the time to really see it! Last time I was in the area was to pick up my dog from a kennel outside Tacoma--that was a crazy trip! Flying a very large German Shepherd is always fun--the TSA folks aren't very happy when you bring him out of the kennel for inspection, though they require it. It was a few minutes before they found a fellow who wasn't scared of my dog and would inspect the crate.:)

Aloha, have a great day!

I agree with west maui re: pass on the Plantation and Pineapple Grill. We have been to the plantation twice before and had fun but this trip was a let down- seems they are turning it into a coffee plantation (not sure) and the lush vegetation that once existed is no longer there. Even the gift shop/restaurant area looked like they were in the middle of a going out of business sale :(. Maybe we went at an off time but I wanted my $$ back and more imporantly our time.

Loved the Aquarium- we were there for 2 weeks in Feb and bought the week pass- since the 6yr old & twin 1 yr olds liked going. Also hung out at the mini golf & bumperboats alot too.

We did still have an enjoyable morning at Molokini- not the same as it was years ago- but still an enjoyable day.

Road to hana-- to each his own...... beautiful scenery- you just have to decide if it is worth your time-- for me was a waste of a valuable day-- I did it once and was ok w/ that -- then I went again and wished I would have stayed back at the pool & had a relaxing day.

Whale watching was a highlight of our trip & just playing on the beach.

I agree with west maui re: pass on the Plantation and Pineapple Grill. We have been to the plantation twice before and had fun but this trip was a let down- seems they are turning it into a coffee plantation (not sure) and the lush vegetation that once existed is no longer there. Even the gift shop/restaurant area looked like they were in the middle of a going out of business sale :(. Maybe we went at an off time but I wanted my $$ back and more imporantly our time.

Just for clarification, the Pineapple Grill is on the golf course at Kapalua. In fact, it is attached to the pro shop by a breezeway. It is not part of the Maui Pineapple Plantation or its gift shop/restaurant. (And, I promise this is my last note about PG on this thread. :( )

I think Tamsocal meant the Tropical Plantation over in Waikapu, didn't you?:confused:

If you think it's hard keeping names straight here, wait until you learn that many islands have same-named neighborhoods, regions, etc! It gets really fun then: "which Waimea", "Which Kahana" "Which Pali"!!

Just for clarification, the Pineapple Grill is on the golf course at Kapalua. In fact, it is attached to the pro shop by a breezeway. It is not part of the Maui Pineapple Plantation or its gift shop/restaurant. (And, I promise this is my last note about PG on this thread. :( )

sorry if my sentence was confusing-- yes I know both the plantation and the Pineapple Grill are in different locations. I was agreeing to both that we didn't find either worth our time(for different reasons. I didn't think to separate out the 2 destinations into 2 separate sentences... We didn't care for the Maui Tropical Plantation near Waikapu-not sure if it is in that city- so don't want to be misquoted- we stopped there on our day trip to Iao Valley & Makawao. We also did not find the Pineapple Grill to be exceptional-- only went once when we were up at the Ritz in Kapalua. It was ok but we were expecting more after must go recommendations were given to us. I didn't want my time & $$ back after going to the PG --but the food & service could have been better for me. the plantation was much higher on the disappoint scale for me-- seemed to be going out of business or not being well run, or maybe lack of water to keep the vegetation growing...... not sure-- just didn't enjoy it like we did before

Aloha,

I find the food overrated at Mama's anymore. Sorry-I seem to be living up to my reputation of "brutally frank, but honest"! The setting is spectacular-one of the 'postcard' moments, for sure. I'd go for lunch-which will still run around 30-40 pp, if you have a drink. Dinner usually runs around 100pp. From the Kea Lani, you would also be looking at an hour or so drive at night. Remember, our roads are unlit...

A shorter drive, and great food-would be Haliimaile General Store. It's owned by Bev Gannon, one of our original Pacific Rim chefs and the food is super. She also just took over the Seawatch Restaurant in Wailea-but I don't think she's decided on menu changes there yet. Haliimaile would be a 40 minute or so drive, easier roads than Mama's.

Surfing spots will depend on the direction of the swells. You said you were coming in the fall-can you be more specific? A general rule of thumb is that winter swells come into the north and west sides, summer swells hit the south. But there's hardly a day that someone isn't surfing...somewhere!

Hana. Oh, boy. A hot topic. There are 617-649 hairpin curves (depending on who did the counting and how many libations they had, I think). There are 54 one lane bridges, if you went all the way around the back. Yes, some people do have trouble with motion sickness, unless they are doing the driving. However, one option is to only go partway. Another is to remember that the road itself is the journey, not getting to Hana. So relax and stop often!

The aquarium is very well done. Most people think Maui's is much better than Honolulu's. It's got some very interesting displays and a gigantic tank with seating around it. There's also a tunnel which even has windows in the floor. The restaurant there, the Seascape, is good and reasonably priced.

Molokini...uh-oh, here I go again! If you search these boards, I think you will confirm what I've said since about 1999. Molokini is not what it used to be and just not worth it, with very few exceptions. First, you may or may not go there-due to conditions. Second, unless you take a very early trip, you may see more feet than fish. Third, your return across the channel may be very rough. The boat companies vary widely in price and amenities. Snorkel trips from the West side, especially Ka'anapali, tend to be more expensive but overall, a less crowded and very nice experience. They will moor at one of several places along the West/north coast, depending on conditions. Although Molokini gets tons of publicity, Honolua Bay is also a marine conservation district, and the boats are far enough out that you are snorkeling in deeper water with lots of active, beautiful sights. If they anchor near Olowalu, again, they are pretty far beyond the shoreline snorkeling. The Ka'anapali boats leave between 10 and 11 am generally, and the trips are about 4-4 1/2 hours. There are also boats which offer trips to Lanai for the day; they leave from Lahaina Harbor. These can be great, and a neat way to briefly see another island.

Wish I could come visit Seattle and take the time to really see it! Last time I was in the area was to pick up my dog from a kennel outside Tacoma--that was a crazy trip! Flying a very large German Shepherd is always fun--the TSA folks aren't very happy when you bring him out of the kennel for inspection, though they require it. It was a few minutes before they found a fellow who wasn't scared of my dog and would inspect the crate.:)

Aloha, have a great day!

this is all great information, once again THANK YOU.

Okay regarding the surfing and when will we be in Maui, the last week of October.

Also any advice on Luau's? I heard there is one very close by our hotel at the Marriott what do you think?

If we do go on the road to Hana and we start to get car sick it sounds like there are plenty of places to pull off the road and turn around is that correct?

What do you think of the drive up to that place (not sure where, I still have a book to read:)) to watch the sunrise?

What time does the sunset in Maui in late October? it would be the week before clocks are changed for the fall.

We probably will still try Mama's since all of our friends say we must try it. Any other places close to the Fairmont you strongly suggest?

We may skip the boat tours, but is there any good spots to snorkle off of the beach? someone said near the Fairmont there is, but I am not sure how true that is.

You will need to come and visit Seattle again when you can stay longer. Right now we are have FABULOUS weather, today is supposed to be 87 in the city and sunshine is in the forecast at least through the weekend. We had a crappy and snowy winter so I feel this is making up for that:p.

Aloha,

quote]

I can't agree more. Molokini definitely is not what it used to be. You see fish for sure. But butterflies and angelfish, those colorful fellows, were replaced by dull tangs. Now I consider Molokini waste of time and money. I don't think much of the road to Hana, either.

One of my favorite things I did when I was in Maui was going to Haleakula Crater and watching the sunrise. It was so beautiful. We were really high up and looking down into the crater. Then when the sun was up, we biked downhill, I think it was 28 miles all coasting. I think we used Maui Mountain Cruisers, but not sure. It was the highlight of my maui vacation.

Also we did do the road to Hana. It was a long ride from Kanapalli beach where we were staying. We did go to a black sand beach that was kind of cool. Big Waves.

Whatever you do, enjoy Maui!!!!

Jeanne

One of my favorite things I did when I was in Maui was going to Haleakula Crater and watching the sunrise. It was so beautiful. We were really high up and looking down into the crater. Then when the sun was up, we biked downhill, I think it was 28 miles all coasting. I think we used Maui Mountain Cruisers, but not sure. It was the highlight of my maui vacation.

Also we did do the road to Hana. It was a long ride from Kanapalli beach where we were staying. We did go to a black sand beach that was kind of cool. Big Waves.

Whatever you do, enjoy Maui!!!!

Jeanne

Did you feel safe when you were coasting back down the mountain on the bikes? Can you just go up and watch the sunrise, but not bike back down? If we have a rental car, can we just drive up ourselves?

How far is the black sand beach?

thanks

Yes, you can drive yourselves up to the summit of Haleakala for sunrise. It is a National Park, just like Volcano Ntl. Park is on Big Island. You'll pay admission per car at the gate and go from there.

You would have to rent your car the afternoon before-or already have it. The summit is a good 1 1/2 hour from Kahului, and about another hour from Ka'anapali or Wailea. You will need to leave the Fairmont at about 2:30 AM to be able to get to the summit in time...remember, there are no instant replays of sunrise....If, if the weather cooperates, it is a wonderful sight. It is also VERY cold and the wind is often between 35-45 MPH. Remember you will be far above any kind of timberline so the wind really cuts. Also, if you are not used to driving twisty mountain roads in the dark, you may be uncomfortable.

There used to be sunrise van tours, I'm sure there still are. Ekahi had a good one but reports on this site indicate they're not responding (or weren't) to emails, so I am not sure about that. You might just search for "Sunrise tours" and see what pops up. The bike companies will take non-bike riders, but at the same or almost the same price as a bike rider, and it's not cheap. The bike ride will also take much longer overall than either a van tour or doing it on your own.

The black sand beach is just outside Hana, it would be a long drive. It is beautiful, and very near a restored Hei'au (Hawaiian Temple) which is very impressive and a 'chicken skin' place.

Re your other questions, I do hear good things about the Marriott Luau in Wailea. It has fire dancing, a wide variety of food and drink.

As to sunset, we don't do daylight savings, until next year when we have to by Federal decree. The sun will set around 6 pm at the end of October, or a little earlier.

Yes, you will be able to stop and turn around pretty easily on the Road to Hana. It might be a few miles before you find a good safe spot, but the road's far better than it used to be!

The snorkeling near the Fairmont can be very nice. Your hotel staff should be able to point out what spots are good because of conditions during your trip. Farther down, near Makena, there's also some good snorkeling near one of the preserves.

Restaurants...hmmm, have all of you guessed yet that we LOVE to eat here in Hawaii???:D

I'd still suggest Haliimaile-they are open for lunch sometimes too. In or near Wailea (Kihei side) I'd also recommend Capische? if you are in the mood for Italian. Sorrento's is owned by the Tri-Star Restaurant Group, which also owns Son'z at the Ka'anapali Hyatt and Nick's Fishmarket at the Fairmont. Sorrento's is Med./Pacific, not cheap but not outrageous. Nick's and Son'z are pricey...but a dining delight if you can splurge. There's also Joe's Bar, which is another Bev Gannon restaurant-her husband really. It's a bar & burger etc place, good food at decent prices. In the shops of Wailea there's Longhi's (not one of my favs), Tommy Bahama's, and Cheeseburger in Paradise. Tommy's and Cheeseburger usually get pretty good reviews these days. Up in Kihei, there's Sansei (the second one), which is sushi and sashimi, but yes, plenty of cooked food too. Also, Roy's, which ends up being $$$ because it's like Nick's and Son'z, almost totally ala carte. For casual food, Stella Blues Cafe in Azeka Place is a good deal and has some very good food.

I'm drawing a blank on other south side places...maybe Beachchick or Beach4me or somebody can help out?!

Archived