Balcony vs. inside cabin on Hawiian cruise when pregnant?

Cosmo013

Hi everyone,

I am pregnant and we are thinking about booking a Hawaiian cruise on Princess. I am already aware of the 24 week cut off, and that's not an issue. I will be in my second trimester, so I am hoping that morning sickness will not be an issue by that point. But to be on the safe side, I'm wondering two things:

1. I have only cruised along the coast before. Is a cruise like this, with 4 days across the open ocean, usually a lot rougher?

2. Would a particular type of cabin be better in case I do feel sick? I know we want midship, but we usually prefer to book an inside cabin so we can save the money. Is there anything about a balcony, or the ability to open a window, that would help if I'm feeling nauseous? It's a 2 week cruise, and approx. $1000 more for the cabin if we go up to a balcony.

Thanks in advance!

I sailed at 20 weeks but not to Hawaii so I can't help with the open sea part. We had an ocean view cabin overlooking the rear of the ship. We did not have a balcony but had a door to the promenade deck just a few feet away from the cabin. I'm big on fresh air and stepped outside numerous times when I felt a bit stifled. A balcony would have been very nice since we obviosuly could not open the window when I felt I needed air. The only time I felt a bit nauseous was - oddly enough - walking down the stairs. I also overdid it walking in a few ports. I was normally walking 2 miles a day at home so I didn't think it would be a problem. I thought I was feeling the baby's first kicks but when I got home my OB said no, those were contractions I was feeling. (Real ones - not braxton kicks.) Lucky I didn't know that at the time!

I sailed at about 19 wks pg, but have never done a Hawaiian cruise, so I do not know how different it is from the Caribbean cruises I have taken. Lucky for me, I didn't have MS at all during my pg, so that wasn't a problem for me (although I did end up VERY ill from something at the end of my cruise--to the point I called my dr from the airport to see if I needed to head to the ER as soon as we landed)...as for whether to go w/ a balcony, I would say that is your call. Are you the type that needs the fresh air? If you are having any nausea, is that what you would want/need to try to feel better? If so, then it may be worth it. Have you done your research on methods to combat nausea/motion sickness that are safe during pg?

If you do an inside- do it midship and on the lowest deck possible. You won't feel as much motion the lower you are in the ship. Its when you sleep that the motion sickness most effects you. Ask your doctor about Bonine. It can be taken if and when you get seasick- you don't have to take it prior to sailing and keep taking it like people think. I have had to use it on occasion and was better in 10 minute. The pacific is rough-so go prepared.

Have a wonderful time:)

I cruised last August while I was pregnant, second trimester, we had an inside room and I had no problem. I did have ms during the first trimester. I slept better that week on the cruise then I did during the rest of my pregnancy! I was much more careful about drinking enough water and staying in the shade then I normally would, and it was a wonderful, relaxing week.

We honeymooned a few years ago in Hawaii and did a cruise on NCL for part of it. We had a balcony so that when we sailed past the erupting volcanoes and the Napali coastline, we could see from the balcony. It was amazing. Worth the extra money (if you can afford it) to be able to have your own private view of these amazing sights. The water was rough in the Pacific, even sailing from one island to the next. You could feel the ship moving, much more then you would in the Caribbean.

Have a great trip!

Yes, the trans-Pacific crossing can be quite bumpy, especially if there are any storms or heavy ocean patterns. Typically, it's the first couple of days out of the mainland that are rough. After that, things tend to smooth out and warm up. But you cannot and must not count on that. The ocean crossing can be nearly as smooth as silk or it can be truly choppy and rough. More often than not, those first couple of days (and last couple if you're doing a mainland round-trip) will be noticeably rough and rocky.

I would go with a mid-ships balcony cabin on the lowest deck with balconies. (Note: The oceanview cabins do not have windows that open up, so if you want fresh air, you must go with a balcony cabin.) Fresh air could be a life-saver for you and the balcony would be a lovely place for you to relax and rest.

beachchick

Just note that during the crossings, the balconies are cool and windy. The people at the table next to us said they were disappointed they spent the extra money for a balcony since they couldn't use it for most of the cruise (4 days to Hawaii, 4-1/2 days back). Of course, it absolutely will provide fresh air, but just wanted you to keep in mind it's not a place you'd probably want to lounge for long stretches of time during the crossings.

Best,

Mia

I used to be a balcony snob and then we had the opportunity to do a British Isles cruise last year if we did an inside. The inside was half the price of the balcony- so it was either the inside or not go at all.

It was fine. I never felt claustrophobic. What's more... insides get less movement and we slept like logs. People complained that the beds weren't comfortable, etc. on this particular cruise and I have to say I never woke up until my stomach wanted breakfast.

Do the inside- save the money. I had a balcony on a Transatlantic crossing and never used it- too windy and nothing to see.

Archived