Rental Car through ship or independently

The 2 Ds

We will be taking the POA cruise in Hawaii in October. We noticed that car rentals were available through the ship excursions. Is there an advantage to using this type of rental? or better to try to book independently? I have read alot of the horror stories about long lines a several ports and wanted to try to avoid those problems. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

There is no advantage to renting a car through the ship's excursions. You do not receive any priority in either the lines for the shuttles from the pier to the rental locations or at the rental locations when you stand in line to complete your rental.

We've used pretty much every major company in Hawaii over the years (mostly land trips) and have really never had problems. It's always best to sign up for the company's priority "club" (e.g., Thrifty's Blue Chip) because it shortens the rental process and there is often a special line at the rental location.

Bottom line is that there will likely be hundreds of passengers all heading to the various rental companies at about the same time. Regardless of which company you use, you may have a wait. For cruises, we tend to schedule our rental pickup about an hour after we expect "the thundering mob" to have headed out. We have a more leisurely breakfast, take our time getting ready, and by then, the rental shuttles don't have a long line and the rental counters are no longer crowded.

Just start shopping around now and choose based on price for your dates/car type and whether the company sends shuttles to the pier (almost all do). Sign up for the priority club if possible. And keep checking rates periodically. We always make sure to have our rentals lined up because sometimes they sell out well in advance. Cruise passengers are "competing" with visitors coming in by air for a finite number of cars. Then I check from time to time; I've always managed to find reduced rates. Also, if you are in Kona the week before or after Ironman, it will be extremely crowded. Fortunately, Thrifty and Dollar have (or at least, had; I think they still do) a small location at the King Kamehameha Hotel across the street from the tender pier. That location is for cruise passengers only and usually sells out. Don't even think about renting from an airport location in Kona because most companies do not send shuttles to the pier as it's a 20-30 minute shuttle ride to the airport without heavy traffic and can be 45+ minutes if traffic is backed up or there is an accident or road work.

beachchick

My experience (not just in Hawaii but all around the country) is that not all frequent rental programs are created equally. At least in Kauai (notorious for long lines with Thrifty) the Hertz gold program worked like a charm for us. Our pre-assigned car was there waiting for us; no need to stop at any understaffed counter--just get in the car and drive off. The avis and national programs are also generally excellent (in most locations you head directly to vehicle without stopping at counters).

I cannot give first hand info for Hilo, however (another notoriously bad port for Thrifty), as we rented from a small company called Harpers (much more expensive, but no lines, and allow travel on roads other rental companies do not).

I rented cars in 2 ports, one thru the rental agency and one thru NCL. The NCL price was $40 for the day and we even got to upgrade to a jeep for the same $40. This was in Maui. Thru an agency we rented a convertible with Thrifty and that was $63.

I'd say if you can't get a rate cheaper than $40 go with NCL. An exception might be if you need a SUV of something 'cause you're in a group or similar.

If you are booked in a suite you can book thru the ship's concierge while on the ship, even if you want it the next day. If you're in a regular stateroom you'll want to book the "On Your Own" rental before you get to Hawaii since they'll be booked up come embarkation day.

HTH

I rented cars in 2 ports, one thru the rental agency and one thru NCL. The NCL price was $40 for the day and we even got to upgrade to a jeep for the same $40. This was in Maui. Thru an agency we rented a convertible with Thrifty and that was $63.

I'd say if you can't get a rate cheaper than $40 go with NCL. An exception might be if you need a SUV of something 'cause you're in a group or similar.

At what other port did you rent a car? Were there any differences in time restrictions for the use of the vehicle? Thanks for any info.

I was just getting ready to post this very question. We are going to be in Hawaii on NCL the last week of August. We are going to rent cars at each port and wondered about renting from the ship. Is there a time limit on the cars? What about the overnight in Kauai and Maui? Would it be faster to rent independently than to rent from the ship or are you taken by the same buses to the car rental company? Are the cars waiting for those that book from the ship or is it basically the same process as doing it on your own? We don't want to waste a minute if we can help it.

Also are vans or SUVs available throught the ship? Which company does the ship rent from?

Wow, do I have questions or what!!!

I was just getting ready to post this very question. We are going to be in Hawaii on NCL the last week of August. We are going to rent cars at each port and wondered about renting from the ship. Is there a time limit on the cars? What about the overnight in Kauai and Maui? Would it be faster to rent independently than to rent from the ship or are you taken by the same buses to the car rental company? Are the cars waiting for those that book from the ship or is it basically the same process as doing it on your own? We don't want to waste a minute if we can help it.

Also are vans or SUVs available throught the ship? Which company does the ship rent from?

Wow, do I have questions or what!!!

No, you will not get your rental any faster if you rent through the cruise line. Passengers who rent through the cruise line do go on the same shuttles as everyone else and they are not given any priority in line for the shuttle or at the rental location.

There are no cars waiting at the pier at any of the ports, regardless of whether you rent through the cruise line or independently. It's not possible in terms of space, personnel, logistics (paperwork, etc.), and security. When you get to the rental location (and regardless of how you do your reservation), you will get in line with everyone else (including land visitors) to rent your car. They do not have cars "waiting" specifically for cruise passengers.

Caveat: For Kona, you'll want to rent from the Thrifty or Dollar at the King Kamehameha Hotel location. It is across the street from the tender pier and is a small location for cruise passengers only. The airport locations are 20-30 minutes by shuttle and most companies will not shuttle from the Kona tender pier to the airport.

beachchick

We are going the end of January and I have reserved cars at every port but Kauai...There is no place on the request to say we are cruisers I will be calling Thrifty and ask but just want to know how you did it. Is the Thrifty shuttle at every port, do you know? Thanks for your help.

Our pre-assigned car was there waiting for us; no need to stop at any understaffed counter--just get in the car and drive off. The avis and national programs are also generally excellent (in most locations you head directly to vehicle without stopping at counters).

Whalewatcher, can you explain that a little more? if you don't have to go to a counter, how do you get the keys? How do you know which car is assigned? Thanks

Whalewatcher, can you explain that a little more? if you don't have to go to a counter, how do you get the keys? How do you know which car is assigned? Thanks

There is a board or video screen with a list of names and parking spaces. You simply walk to your assigned car; the keys and contract are already in the car. You do need to show your license and credit card to the guard as you exit the parking lot. Note that for your first gold rental you still need to visit the counter to confirm license and credit card details.

Thanks for responding so quickly! I joined the frequent rental programs with Avis and Thrifty which I'm using in Maui and Hilo, but have no accumulated points or whatever gets you to higher levels. I'm guessing I won't have the jump in the car assigned business, will I? Thanks again

Thanks for responding so quickly! I joined the frequent rental programs with Avis and Thrifty which I'm using in Maui and Hilo, but have no accumulated points or whatever gets you to higher levels. I'm guessing I won't have the jump in the car assigned business, will I? Thanks again
Avis does have a program very similar to Hertz, but again, for the first rental you need to visit the counter to confirm all the details. I have used Avis for my last three rentals in various cities as the prices were low, and even in sold-out DCA on preakness weekend there were no delays.

When I called NCL about it they said that since it is a shore excursion you get to get off the ship first, if that makes any difference to you.

I was also told the prices for the other size cars. The $40 is for a compact I think. It was slightly more for each category above that.

When I called NCL about it they said that since it is a shore excursion you get to get off the ship first, if that makes any difference to you.

I was also told the prices for the other size cars. The $40 is for a compact I think. It was slightly more for each category above that.

I don't think this is true...except at the tender port, everyone just lines up and waits for the doors to open. There was no preferential disembarkation for those on excursions that I recall in any of the ports (unless things have changed since last year).:confused:

I was on the POA July 11-18 and there was no priority for folks to get off the ship except for tendering day when you have to get a ticket and folks with the various shore excursions tend to go first. There are multiple options for tour companies, more than just the ship's excursions. I had a 9:30 excursion with Robert's Tours, and had no problem at all getting a ticket and being off to leisurely board my tour bus vehicle. The ship's staff is execellent and very helpful. I did rent a car in Maui, went with price and got the best deal from Alamo on a guarenteed convertible ($47).

Archived