Canceled Flight, Missed Cruise, Jones Act?

JACJAM

Just so you know where I am coming from. I used to work for RCI for 5 years, for two of those years I worked in the Air department, specifically the department that dealt with day of sailing travel issues (Guest Flight Operations) its the 1-800 number listed in your booklet (RCL & CEL). I left the company in mid 2007, so things may have changed a bit, but probably not much.

Northbound Alaska - Vancouver to Seward (or other Alaska City)

Yes it is a jones act violation to board the ship in another Alaska city if the cruise ends in another Alaska city. However, as many have you said you can board in another Alaska city under a specific situation. If you missed the cruise because of airline delay ( I can't remember if it has to be weather delay or arline delay like mechanical or staffing) you need to get a letter from the airline stating your delay and with that letter you can board the ship (like some of you saw poeple doing in Ketichan). YOU MUST HAVE THE LETTER FROM THE AIRLINE, if you show up without the letter you will be denied boarding. If you booked the air through us we flew you to the next port, usually Ketichan, and you had to have the letter from the airline to board.

OP - What was the reason for you delay? Did anyone at CEL mention the airline letter to you? If not I would double check if that is still an option and if it still is ask them why they didn't inform you of this. Even some experienced airline check in agents knew of this and tell the guests about this option.

Jones Act - The Jones Act only applies to US Cities.. it does not apply to territories, you can board the ship in San Juan or St. Thomas (flew people there many times to baord.)

Cruise Air - Does not guarantee we will hold the ship. I had many situations where I had many guest (20 or more) that would be 30 min late and the ship still left. We try to get it to wait, but there are many factors that are involved in holding it.

Hope this clears a few things up.

This has been such an interesting board. I was on the phone this morning with Custom Air looking at the prices for Southbound Millie Alaskan cruise for May. The prices were significantly higher if I used Custom Air than if I went through the airline directly. We plan on flying in the day before but now thinking about 2 days before. We did purchase trip insurance through Celebrity already, from what I am understanding it will cover even if I book through the airline directly. Already booked the pre-cruise and post-cruise package for both Anchorage and Vancouver. Now I am wondering if I should book through Custom Air just in case the flight gets delayed for some reason.

This has been such an interesting board. I was on the phone this morning with Custom Air looking at the prices for Southbound Millie Alaskan cruise for May. The prices were significantly higher if I used Custom Air than if I went through the airline directly. We plan on flying in the day before but now thinking about 2 days before. We did purchase trip insurance through Celebrity already, from what I am understanding it will cover even if I book through the airline directly. Already booked the pre-cruise and post-cruise package for both Anchorage and Vancouver. Now I am wondering if I should book through Custom Air just in case the flight gets delayed for some reason.

If you saving money, I would go with your own air. Also, flying out 2 days ahead is a good idea. Seward is a great place to spend some pre-cruise time at and you will have more time to have your body adjust to the new time zone. JMHO

• 9 months later...

Just wanted to bump this up and see if this has happened to anyone and what your come was. Also has the Jones act changed or has the cruise line been able to help passengers in the situation? Thanks

Archived