What else to do?

kasil

My 15 yo DD and 12 yo DS and I will have a few hours left in port after seeing the stingrays and snorkeling. Is there anything else that is a "must see" that we'd have time to do? Our ship leaves at 4:00 ship time. Thanks.

We like to wonder through the shops, sample rum cakes and make a purchase or two, there is hard rock cafe, margaritaville, and just lots of things just to wonder around and see. You could always take the bus or taxi to 7 mile beach for a while. The time will pass really really fast tho!!

I agree with wandering the stores located at the pier.

Cayman Islands are famous for thier rum cakes-- go sample a few-- choc pineapple is my favorite==hard to find.

Are you doing the tour with the cruiselines or through a private vendor?

how much time are you getting after the tour?

We're using a private company; we'll have two or three hours after we're done with the sting rays and snorkeling. I was hoping we could visit another site before we have to tender back. We'll have two to three hours, plus we'll need to get some lunch. My 15 yo DD won't have a problem shopping:); I'm not sure about my 12 yo DS.:confused: Any ideas are greatly appreciated!:p

well--depending on what time you get back after your excursion--- tenders are done by 3:00- 3:30

Depending on how many ships are in port--the roads there can get quite congested in the afternoon with everyone trying to get back to the ships-

I would recondsider another excursion and just shop.

While shopping, I recommend walking farther to the left on Harbor Drive (left as you face the sea). There is a very nice local vendors area. These are local folks who make their stuff, always the best souveniors. Also, one guy was selling chilled coconuts, he cut the top off when you buy and put in straws.

On the sea side of the drive is Paradise Restaurant, you can sit on the patio look out over the sea and have a Cheeseburger, or Turtle Soup, or lots of other local dishes.

We were there on a stay-over vacation in June. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Di

txladydi-

Since you were there recently, maybe you know the answer to my question. My tour provider recommended bananas to attract fish while snorkeling. I read on a Grand Cayman website that it was okay to bring groceries to the island. Does that include banabas off the ship? I asked on another thread and was told not to take food off the ship regardless of what the tour person said. To me, bananas fall under the heading of groceries. I want to attract fish, but I don't want to mess up the ecosystem with cereal or dog biscuits as some others have suggested. Any other suggestions?

txladydi-

Since you were there recently, maybe you know the answer to my question. My tour provider recommended bananas to attract fish while snorkeling. I read on a Grand Cayman website that it was okay to bring groceries to the island. Does that include banabas off the ship? I asked on another thread and was told not to take food off the ship regardless of what the tour person said. To me, bananas fall under the heading of groceries. I want to attract fish, but I don't want to mess up the ecosystem with cereal or dog biscuits as some others have suggested. Any other suggestions?

dog biscuits--use the small ones. I would not take bananas off the ship- its hot in grand cayman and by the time you get to snorkle--the banana would be quite mushy.

You wont be allowed ood off the ship unless its pre-packaged-- cereal.

Cheerios works for attracting fish but melts very fast once wet. The dog biscuits will attract the fish without melting

We are planning the short excursion through Captain Marvins, early departure.

According to the website it ends at 10:45.

Our ship departs at 4pm

Do you think we have time to take in SMB before leaving? Our plans for SMB would be to relax with a few cold drinks, pics and a quick dip. Not interested in watersports.

We are planning the short excursion through Captain Marvins, early departure.

According to the website it ends at 10:45.

Our ship departs at 4pm

Do you think we have time to take in SMB before leaving? Our plans for SMB would be to relax with a few cold drinks, pics and a quick dip. Not interested in watersports.

your ship departs at 4pm- your last tender will be at 3pm. (Plan accordingly)

Archived