Help Planning Mom's 1st cruise!

txffgirl

Ok so I have crused with Carnival and know my Mom will have a blast but still want to make good choices! We are looking to take a 3-5 day cruise from Miami sometime between Mid February to mid April-totally due to job, only time we can both get off! I have not travelled at all at this time and wonder about weather-is it going to be warm enough to enjoy the pool and all the bahamas or Key West would offer? Should we be concerned about Hurricanes or rough seas? Mom has never been on a ship and is concerned about seasickness.

Any and all suggestions on ship, ports, anything would be appreciated!!!! I know CC members are great for all that and THANK YOU!

The only piece of advice I can offer is to make sure your mom is okay with days at sea! LOL When I took my mom on her first cruise..it was a 7 day Mexican Riviera (Princess) and there were too many days at sea for her. I enjoyed it...she did not. Now the cruise we're going on next month has a port everyday which she is excited about.

you shouldn't be worried about hurricanes - they happen more in and around the summer months. seas should be relatively calm in your time frame.

since you're looking for a 3-5 day out of miami - i'd recommend destiny. she runs 4 and 5 day eastern and western itineraries out of miami year round... destiny's the only 'big ship' running the shorter itineraries at this time, which grants the amenities of the bigger newer ships, and far more affordable balconies than on the fantasy class ships...

good luck ;)

Ok so I have crused with Carnival and know my Mom will have a blast but still want to make good choices! We are looking to take a 3-5 day cruise from Miami sometime between Mid February to mid April-totally due to job, only time we can both get off! I have not travelled at all at this time and wonder about weather-is it going to be warm enough to enjoy the pool and all the bahamas or Key West would offer? Should we be concerned about Hurricanes or rough seas? Mom has never been on a ship and is concerned about seasickness.

Any and all suggestions on ship, ports, anything would be appreciated!!!! I know CC members are great for all that and THANK YOU!

March and April are college spring break months, and the 3-5 day cruises really attract the young, drinking crowd. Try to go in the February time frame.

The weather is usually great for swimming and it is outside of hurricane season. Rough seas can happen anytime, so I would spend time worrying about that.

I get 'seasick' on dry land and have never had a problem on a ship (those things are huge!) but she can take ginger tablets before and during the cruise. There is tons of other seasick remedies on the boards and the ship will give out seasick medicine, if it is needed.

Have a great trip!

Destiny? Sounds good-I will check it out! great to hear about the calm seas as well!

As for seadays-that is why we are looking at a short cruise, I figure she can't get bored and will still be wanting more then I can talk her into another before too long!

Thanks for the heads up about spring breaks- I never really think about that!

I have been on a few and my mom and I love the Fantasy class ships. We have cruised the Fascination a few times and we are booked again for March 1st on the Imagination. It might be a good first cruise for your mom, not too large and just right. I have cruised on the Triumph which is similar to Destiny and found it a little too large. Anyway, that would be my choice!!! We also love Key West, so that is a definite plus, and Cozumel is ok! By the way, my mom is 75!

Thanks so much! I think we are leaning toward Mid to late February and I did like the fascinationj and Imagination since tazhe are a little cheaper and inside is ok with her-actually better for her might go that way! She is late 0's but havsn't really gotten to do any real traveling so I amtrying to bring her over-then we will work on my Dad.

Destiny? Sounds good-I will check it out! great to hear about the calm seas as well!

As for seadays-that is why we are looking at a short cruise, I figure she can't get bored and will still be wanting more then I can talk her into another before too long!

Thanks for the heads up about spring breaks- I never really think about that!

Destiny 5 night Eastern to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau would be a great first time cruise. Try LATE April when spring break is over and the beaches are warm and beautiful. Only one full day at sea to explore the ship but relaxing ports with much variety. When we went (I was 57) I found it to be one of the best cruises I've taken.:)

Archived