Tips on tipping?

tthomp

Hi!

First time cruiser here departing in 3 days (Carnival Pride Mexian Riviera)!

I know that the main tipping is done via our account at the end of the cruise. BUT I've heard many recommend other tipping -

- to the cabin steward at the beginning of the cruise to ensure good service

- to dining staff, again to ensure good service

- other bar staff?

- room service delivery

What of the above is expected, and what will make a difference in terms of extra special treatment?

Replies appreciated!

tthomp

I tip room service when I order the stuff. I have never tipped the cabin steward ahead of time. I leave little kisses on the dining room table when I leave. I may tip a bar waiter if I am being waited on by the same one all the time. I have always had great service on all my cruises. I didnt feel the need to tip before service was rendered. I keep the tips on my card and if warranted I will give more cash at the end.

Hi!

I know that the main tipping is done via our account at the end of the cruise. BUT I've heard many recommend other tipping -

- other bar staff?

- room service delivery

What of the above is expected, and what will make a difference in terms of extra special treatment?

Replies appreciated!

tthomp

If you don't get good service,remove their tips.Tip $0 extra until you learn what is good,bad,average

Bar staff is auto added already to each purchase.

Room service $1-$2 per delivery

Steve

We have done a variety of things including tipping the room steward at the beginning, the end or not at all. We get the same service regardless of what we have done which has always been very good. As far as room service, I have tipped $1.00 for coffee and rolls in the a.m. upt to $3.00 for more of a meal. And one time, I did offer a tip, but he refused saying tips were divided up at the end of the cruise.

As for wait staff in the dining room, I wait until the last day of the cruise if I want to tip more than what is automatically added to my account and hand the cash directly to the staff.

As you'll find from the many replies you'll receive, is that there is no 'standard' for tipping! It's really just 'go with the flow' and if you think someone deserves a tip; do it! :)

I gave the cabin steward on our previous cruise an up-front tip of $20. and he was the best.. (course he may have been had I not tipped)..

Really good bartender got a $5. tip twice.. Room service: We did $3.00 for most every room service delivery.. I didn't differentiate between a quik breakfast or meal, as whoever brought it still had to go the same distance!

And I didn't change suggested tips at the end... We were happy with everything!

Kinda' what Carnival hopes..: "They exceeded my expectations"!

Again, it's totally up to you..! ;)

Hi!

- other bar staff?

- room service delivery

Replies appreciated!

tthomp

There will be a few other CC members on board Pride's 12/26 departure. See our Roll Call at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=81753

We are going to have a get together on board and maybe we can answer any questions you have there.

I tipped $20 at the beginning of our last cruise to our cabin steward and got great service.

Our friends had the same steward and got lousy service. Guess what, they each thought the other one tipped him. Once they figured this out and gave him an additional tip, they got great service.

If you're gonna hang out at one bar with the same bartender, tip heavily. You will not regret it.

room service is always $2.

Cabbie always gets at least a couple bucks.

Porter at the port gets $10.

Skycaps at the airport get $10.

Waiters get an additional tip the last night if warranted.

Don't forget the guy who brings your bucket'o'beer to ya while you get sunburned. He gets $1 every bucket.

I tipped $20 at the beginning of our last cruise to our cabin steward and got great service.

Our friends had the same steward and got lousy service. Guess what, they each thought the other one tipped him. Once they figured this out and gave him an additional tip, they got great service..

That would be the point that I would keep the lousy service and his whole tip. The thought of if you don't tip them more you are going to get crappy service is wrong.This is their job. I would also let the hotel manager know and see how quick the service improves.

Steve

Cruise Tip Calculator

from

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

The History of Tipping - From Sixteenth-Century England to United States in the 1910s

from

http://netec.mcc.ac.uk/WoPEc/data/Papers/wpawuwpeh0309001.html

Tipper Lore

from

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/10.24.96/dining-9643.html

Tipper Gore is pleased to welcome you to Tipper Gore's Guide to Dating Do's and Dont's!

from

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/6806/

Archived