Allergies & Hawaii

flashdog_1

I'll take my meds with me, but just wanted to know if any of you who suffer from "full noses" each morning found any difference when you were in Hawaii. I know the plants/trees may be different and your allergies may be different from mine, but in general, do you have any comments? Thanks

Thank you! I know cruises are usually great for allergies because there's nothing at sea to "get you." But it's those ports! ha

I think around here in the jungley heat of the deep south, it's pine trees and unidentified flowers that get me. Hopefully the flora there will not affect me so!

Aloha,

One thing you may wish to note: VOG. Yes, it is a word. Vog is volcanic fog/smog. Due to Madame Pele's ongoing display at Kilauea, vog is a problem. The National Park site has good info about vog and how to help mitigate the effects. It can be a real problem for people with asthma.

If the winds are "kona", instead of tradewinds, the other islands get the vog too. We get it on Maui pretty often these days.

There are several species of pine trees here. The most common is the Norfolk pine, which grows in slightly cooler to cold areas. Also, we have Koa trees, mango trees, etc.

Some of the flowers are very, very strongly scented. You might want to have meds or Benadryl on hand just in case.

Aloha,

One thing you may wish to note: VOG. Yes, it is a word. Vog is volcanic fog/smog. Due to Madame Pele's ongoing display at Kilauea, vog is a problem. The National Park site has good info about vog and how to help mitigate the effects. It can be a real problem for people with asthma.

If the winds are "kona", instead of tradewinds, the other islands get the vog too. We get it on Maui pretty often these days.

There are several species of pine trees here. The most common is the Norfolk pine, which grows in slightly cooler to cold areas. Also, we have Koa trees, mango trees, etc.

Some of the flowers are very, very strongly scented. You might want to have meds or Benadryl on hand just in case.

I knew about VOG but did NOT know it floated over to Maui! We thought we'd be able to avoid it by not going to the VNP, but maybe not! Thanks for the tip to go to the national parks website on facts on how to deal with it. For those of you who might be interested, here is the website specifically about VOG.

http://www.bigisland-bigisland.com/the-big-island-vog-index-blog.html

I'll be bringing my allergy meds with. Usually fall is good for my allergies but I'm in Chicago and nothing is pollinating or blooming then. The best cruise ever for my allergies was our trans-atlantic with 7 straight sea days, no pollen in the middle of the Atlantic.

It does make good sense to prepare for the worst. Friends of mine found out they are "allergic" to Hawaii due to the molds. Add in temperature changes/wayward cigarette smoke/air conditioning and you might have more symptoms than usual. But hopefully not!

I always bring extra meds....the umbrella theory.

My husband has all sorts of allergies/sinus problems. A few of the blooming flowers bother him in January, but usually not too bad. However, last January, the Kona winds were bad, and he ended up with a major sinus infection because of the vog. We always stay on Oahu.

I knew about VOG but did NOT know it floated over to Maui! We thought we'd be able to avoid it by not going to the VNP, but maybe not! Thanks for the tip to go to the national parks website on facts on how to deal with it. For those of you who might be interested, here is the website specifically about VOG.

http://www.bigisland-bigisland.com/the-big-island-vog-index-blog.html

We actually had no issues with vog at VNP, but found the air in Kona to be very irritating the day we were there (coughing and asthma symptoms).

Also, discovered that I was allergic to the Plumeria leis that I ordered for DW and DD. The pink orchid ones did not bother me at all.

Flash - we just got back from the 7/18 sailing and you bring up a GREAT question! One that we had not even thought about ...

At the airport, we got Plumeria lei's - and by the time we got into our hotel room, we couldn't wait to get them off and never put them on again. My nose started going immediately and we had to buy claritan the first night on the ship (at an exhorbitant price) for my son. Between the lei's and all gorgeous flora and foliage, he really felt it badly. The volcano had calmed down a lot when we were there, so the air up at VNP was not bad at all.

Definitely take your allergy meds with you.

NYAustinGal: I'm so sorry you had a serious reaction to plumeria. It's one of my three favorite Hawaii flowers and, oddly enough, my DH doesn't react to it. He has asthma and serious grass/pollen allergies.

We always bring his meds and inhaler, period. How much he reacts in Hawaii depends on what time of year we're there. He has few symptoms in late fall and winter; some symptoms in mid-to-late summer and early fall; and more symptoms in late spring and early summer.

Allergic reactions are one reason I always suggest that people do not wear highly scented flowers/leis to dinner and other meals. The other reason is that some blooms, such as tuberoses, are so strongly scented that they can make food "taste" like the flowers (and not just for the wearer, but for everyone at the table).

Next time, you might want to try crownflower, which is a small delicate looking flower that makes a lovely, easy to wear lei. Of course, the purple and white orchids that you see everywhere have the benefit of being both long-lasting and easy on those who have allergies.

beachchick

Since there are lei making classes on Pride of America, I guess I'll find out if plumeria bothers me, too, although they may be only the nut ones made on board.

So there's nothing one can do about the VOG (to protect oneself), I take it?

Since there are lei making classes on Pride of America, I guess I'll find out if plumeria bothers me, too, although they may be only the nut ones made on board.

So there's nothing one can do about the VOG (to protect oneself), I take it?

Good morning! Re vog, no, there's not a lot you can do. It may not bother you or it might...keep aspirin handy, one of the most common effects is a headache. If it's really bad, lots of us get a sore throat too, but you will be moving around the islands and not in one place for long, so it shouldn't be so bad.

Archived