What's a good age for first cruise?

2preschoolers

I'm interested in this thread because my grandson just turned 6 and my granddaughter is 2 1/2. My daughter's theory is that she doesn't want to spend the money until they're old enough that they will remember the cruise.

We all went to WDW when grandson was 4, because we were in Fla for a family event. He does not remember it at all, so I think her reasoning is valid.

But of course as others have said, it's personal choice.

Holly in south jersey

I'm interested in this thread because my grandson just turned 6 and my granddaughter is 2 1/2. My daughter's theory is that she doesn't want to spend the money until they're old enough that they will remember the cruise.

We all went to WDW when grandson was 4, because we were in Fla for a family event. He does not remember it at all, so I think her reasoning is valid.

But of course as others have said, it's personal choice.

Holly in south jersey

I think, from the perspective of our kids, she is exactly right regarding what they will remember.

Regarding the spending of money, however, it seems to me that any vacation is about the family having fun, and that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what the kids remember.

We're taking our kids on their first cruise next summer- they will be 7 and 5 years old (nearly 6). Although I think we could have taken them when they were younger I preferred to wait...I would rather they could swim pretty well (which they swim well for their ages), be old enough to go to Camp Carnival happily w/o much separation anxiety, and appreciate going to different countries and experiencing different cultures.

Don't know about your kids ages and what to do with them- I'm interested in the responses - as we just booked dd's first cruise. She'll be 12m when we sail next month. Actually- I guess technically it's her second bc she was in utero last year on our cruise! LOL!

Goodluck and have fun!

Our girls are 2 and 3 1/2 right now. We were contemplating going on a cruise in the next year but now I'm starting to think maybe we'd ALL get more out of it if we waited a few years. (The idea of being cooped up in the cabin a few hours while my younger one naps is NOT fun and the older one refuses to nap and as a result is a cranky mess by 5pm!) So I'm thinking of maybe waiting till the youngest is 4 before we go on our first family cruise. (I've cruised a few times but never with kids)

Then my next concern is that if the younger one is 4, the older one would be 6 so they won't be able to be TOGETHER in the kids club. Anyone know if I have a 6 yr old who is just barely six, would they allow her to be in the same group as my 4 yr old or they don't make exceptions for siblings?

Anyhow - trying to figure out what is a good age to start with so that EVERYONE enjoys their experience. I keep feeling like it's best to wait till they don't require naps. Any thoughts or words of advice????

Thank you!

melanie

My girl's first real cruise was inside my tummy too. I guess that's why she never gets sea sick.

A couple of years later, we hadn't been on any vacation other than a day time to Sea World. Hubby was reluctant to go on a cruise (will she be bored, will she drive other passengers crazy with crying, etc.) but we decided to go ahead and book a three-day that we can drive to (we're about an hour's drive from San Pedro) and then drive down to San Diego for a few days after that.

Turned out to be a wonderful vacation. Even though my girl was one month too young to join in Camp Carnival at 23 months of age, she still found a lot of fun, running around exploring the ship, "flirting" with the waitstaff who enjoyed taking her along on the dinner parades, going to the production show (she had been to Blues Clues Live the month before). We had fun seeing the ship through her eyes.

I think one key is to think about your child's personality and health. Be honest with this evaluation. Then try a short cruise (you can combine it with a short hotel stay on the way or after the cruise). If your child is having troubles sleeping or having trouble teething, whatever, then wait a year or two. (my daughter was a sensitive teether, but by 23 months, she was fine...a year and some months before, I wouldn't have wanted to make others listen to her nocturnal screams.)

Also, plan out what you need to take. Don't expect to find kids' medicine, diapers, pullups, etc. in the ship's store. Bring along some toys and books -- some new, some familiar. Usually the waitstaff will bring crayons and a kids menu that can be colored, along with saltines. Don't remove your child's portions of the tips, because they will be earned.

As for kids old enough to be in the kids' program, don't worry about keeping your kids together. Sooner or later, they will be in separate classes at school. And the older child may actually enjoy a break from a younger sibling.

Our girls are 2 and 3 1/2 right now. We were contemplating going on a cruise in the next year but now I'm starting to think maybe we'd ALL get more out of it if we waited a few years. (The idea of being cooped up in the cabin a few hours while my younger one naps is NOT fun and the older one refuses to nap and as a result is a cranky mess by 5pm!) So I'm thinking of maybe waiting till the youngest is 4 before we go on our first family cruise. (I've cruised a few times but never with kids)

Then my next concern is that if the younger one is 4, the older one would be 6 so they won't be able to be TOGETHER in the kids club. Anyone know if I have a 6 yr old who is just barely six, would they allow her to be in the same group as my 4 yr old or they don't make exceptions for siblings?

Anyhow - trying to figure out what is a good age to start with so that EVERYONE enjoys their experience. I keep feeling like it's best to wait till they don't require naps. Any thoughts or words of advice????

Thank you!

melanie

We are in our 30's and still require a nap on cruises-especially after coming in from the ports:D

My daughter started when she was around 7. She is now almost 15. I just took son at 16 months on the Valor in May- had a great time! Going on the Legend in a week.

Now- if you are planning on getting to do all the things you are used to on a cruise- then, you might be disappointed. It is different. But I can honestly say that we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, even though it was much different. I obviously don't regret it or wouldn't be going again- he is now 20 months. We have a balcony so that does help- but not a necessity.

If you take a land vacation- your kids wouldn't be able to do a lot of "stuff" either- so why not go somewhere you don't have the headache of where to eat, where to go, what to do-ect. That drives me nuts.

Just knowing ahead of time that it will be different is the key- so you're not disappointed. If you have family that can go- then it would be different. But then, it wouldn't be a vacation for me;)

They could both go the babysitting in CC after 10p to give you guys some alone time, and they would be together. I think they watch movies or something. RC does in cabin babysitting after 10p and if they are already asleep you wouldn't feel guilty for leaving them.

I was happy to read this thread. I love cruising but have not been on once since 2008 and I am so missing cruising. used to do 2 a year. we are hoping to go in february 2010 when our little one will be 14 months. just dh and I and our baby. but dh turns in early so I should be able to have some me time in the evening.....

think we are going to try disney as dh gets discount as he works for disney.

Archived