Rental Cars in Halifax and St. Johns

Was wondering if anyone knows of a rental car agency near the cruise ship terminal. Going on NCL Dawn 9/27/09 Canada/New England cruise, and DH is unable to do a lot of walking. Thought we could rent a car and just tool around for a few hours. Want to visit the Citadel in Halifax, but not as part of a tour group. any info on rental companies appreciated.:)

For Halifax there is a National Car Rental location at The Westin Hotel, which would be the closes car rental location to the Cruise Terminal. About 10 min walk depending on walking speed. The hotel is across the street from the cruise terminal. If my Google Maps link works, A (Hollis and South) is the location of the car place and Pier 21, to the right, is where the cruise ships dock.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=car+rental&fb=1&split=1&gl=ca&ei=Tg9qSs6qK5D6MIS75c8M&radius=0.24&sll=44.638735,-63.567034&sspn=0.005214,0.009645&rq=1&ll=44.638758,-63.566691&spn=0.005214,0.009645&t=h&z=17

http://www.nationalcar.ca/

Was wondering if anyone knows of a rental car agency near the cruise ship terminal. Going on NCL Dawn 9/27/09 Canada/New England cruise, and DH is unable to do a lot of walking. Thought we could rent a car and just tool around for a few hours. Want to visit the Citadel in Halifax, but not as part of a tour group. any info on rental companies appreciated.:)

I don't recommend renting a car in Saint John unless you plan to drive to St. Martin's - a car is not practical in the downtown area where all the walking attractions are. You may want to take advantage of the "Inside Connection" connecting Market Square/Brunswick Sq and the City Market as it has elevators and escalators.

I don't recommend renting a car in Saint John unless you plan to drive to St. Martin's - a car is not practical in the downtown area where all the walking attractions are. You may want to take advantage of the "Inside Connection" connecting Market Square/Brunswick Sq and the City Market as it has elevators and escalators.

I second Acey's answer. A car is just not necessary and parking is an issue. You could take a cab over to the Reversing Falls if you don't want to walk and that would be a lot cheaper than renting a car.

Question for Acey-----Does the water taxi still run from beside the Hilton over to the Reversing Falls? I haven't been down by the waterfront on a cruise day this summer to see whether it is there or not.

For Halifax there is a National Car Rental location at The Westin Hotel, which would be the closes car rental location to the Cruise Terminal. About 10 min walk depending on walking speed. The hotel is across the street from the cruise terminal. If my Google Maps link works, A (Hollis and South) is the location of the car place and Pier 21, to the right, is where the cruise ships dock.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=car+rental&fb=1&split=1&gl=ca&ei=Tg9qSs6qK5D6MIS75c8M&radius=0.24&sll=44.638735,-63.567034&sspn=0.005214,0.009645&rq=1&ll=44.638758,-63.566691&spn=0.005214,0.009645&t=h&z=17

http://www.nationalcar.ca/

This location is also for Alamo.

I second Acey's answer. A car is just not necessary and parking is an issue. You could take a cab over to the Reversing Falls if you don't want to walk and that would be a lot cheaper than renting a car.

Question for Acey-----Does the water taxi still run from beside the Hilton over to the Reversing Falls? I haven't been down by the waterfront on a cruise day this summer to see whether it is there or not.

I did not see it this season - however I haven't been down to the waterfront a lot - I'll keep an eye out for it and post here. Thanks!

In Halifax, Enterprise is downtown in Scotia Square, about a 15-minute drive from the cruise terminal, but they will pick you up and take you back. Beats even a short walk to a closer rental agency.

Incidentally, be prepared for Canadian gasoline prices which approach European levels; roughly four times the per liter price in Canadian dollars will give you the approximate price per gallon in US dollars - this ran C$0.90 to C$1.00 in May.

In Halifax, Enterprise is downtown in Scotia Square, about a 15-minute drive from the cruise terminal, but they will pick you up and take you back. Beats even a short walk to a closer rental agency.

Incidentally, be prepared for Canadian gasoline prices which approach European levels; roughly four times the per liter price in Canadian dollars will give you the approximate price per gallon in US dollars - this ran C$0.90 to C$1.00 in May.

Scotia Square is only 1 mile from the Pier; it would be about a 15 minute walk, not drive. The closet rental agency is Alamo and National which is only 200-300 yards away.

While the gas prices are definately higher than the US, it's not even close to 4 times. One US gallon = 3.78 litres. At $2.50 US per gallon that is .66 cents per litre (US$) compared to the current price of 99 cents per litre (CDN $) here in Halifax. Once you factor in the exchange rate the difference is even less.

Currently gas in Saint John, NB is 93.5 cents per litre, or $3.53 per gallon. With the current exchange rate, it works out to approximately USD $3.25 per gallon. Additionally you will be glad to know there are no toll roads to pay for so just count on gas expense.

Hope I can help, I live in halifax. No need to rent a car. There is a free hop on hop off bus that is closer than walking to any rental car service, besides parking is a hassle in downtown Halifax. The free shuttle, called Fred, picks you up a 3 minute walk from the cruise ship and takes you to Citadel Hill and all spots in between. The Maritime Museum is a stop on the waterfront and is a must see. A Titanic Exibit as well as the history of the Halifax Explosion.

When you ask about Saint Johns, that is the capital city of Newfoundland. Do you mean Saint John (no S on the end), that is a city in New Brunswick. If you mean New brunswick, no need to rent a car, the ship docks right along the Harbourfront and there is a shuttle bus. Hope this helps. Let me know when you are going to be in Halifax, I might even be able to give you a tour, my husband and I love showing off our beautiful city. We have 2 cruises booked this fall but if we are home the offer stands.

nancy

When you ask about Saint Johns, that is the capital city of Newfoundland. Do you mean Saint John (no S on the end), that is a city in New Brunswick.

nancy

Saint John, New Brunswick ----------- St. John's, Newfoundland.

In Newfoundland they do not spell out the "saint". In New Brunswick, they do. It helps to keep them separate.

Thank you for your replies, We will be in Halifax on Tuesday September 29 and in Saint John NB on Wednesday September 30.

A side note regarding gasoline prices, in MHO, it is worth it to me to spend a few extra dollars on gas to be free of a tour bus group. Canada is one of my favorite destinations!

Hi Acey

We will be there beginning of Sept and would rather not rent a car and don't do the boat tours. Any suggestions for a private tour? We would like to do Bay of Fundy and Reversing Falls? Any help would be appreciated in fact - please email me at cruella@comcast.net - it's easier. thanks!

Hope I can help, I live in halifax. No need to rent a car. There is a free hop on hop off bus that is closer than walking to any rental car service, besides parking is a hassle in downtown Halifax. The free shuttle, called Fred, picks you up a 3 minute walk from the cruise ship and takes you to Citadel Hill and all spots in between. The Maritime Museum is a stop on the waterfront and is a must see. A Titanic Exibit as well as the history of the Halifax Explosion.

When you ask about Saint Johns, that is the capital city of Newfoundland. Do you mean Saint John (no S on the end), that is a city in New Brunswick. If you mean New brunswick, no need to rent a car, the ship docks right along the Harbourfront and there is a shuttle bus. Hope this helps. Let me know when you are going to be in Halifax, I might even be able to give you a tour, my husband and I love showing off our beautiful city. We have 2 cruises booked this fall but if we are home the offer stands.

nancy

Nancy

Can we shuttle it to the Citadel Hill, the Maritime Museum and Titanic Expo? Is it free? Any other tours we may want to do? We prefer private rather than boat..you can email me also at cruella@comcast.net

I appreciate the help. We are in Halifax on 9/10 ---

Nancy

Can we shuttle it to the Citadel Hill, the Maritime Museum and Titanic Expo? Is it free? Any other tours we may want to do? We prefer private rather than boat..you can email me also at cruella@comcast.net

I appreciate the help. We are in Halifax on 9/10 ---

"FRED" is a free service offered by the city for tourists. It stands for

Free Bus Everwhere Downtown. It does a 40 minute loop around the general city core including stops at Pier 21 (where the cruises ship dock), near the Maritime Museum and near Citadel Hill. The museum is a gentle stroll along the waterfront but Citadel Hill is well, up a big hill. :D

For more info see their web site at: http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/fred.html

and also here:

http://www.downtownhalifax.ns.ca/default.asp?mn=1.8.36

Archived