Lunch w/ Major Tom

SJChaput

• 2 weeks later...

We just did the cave tubing/zip line and ordered the lunch. It was rice and beans, stewed chicken, and coleslaw with soda. We were hungry so it was ok. I didn't finish mine. The chicken was good (one piece, I had a thigh), coleslaw so-so, and the rice and beans (which I was looking forward to) was dry, dry, dry. The soda was a sugary grape soda that I gave to my son. Since we didn't get back to port until 330pm or so, it was nice to have the lunch but it was nothing great IMO. We bought some banana chips from a Belizian child while waiting in line for the tender at port and those were very good.

Anyone know...

Is there an opportunity to purchase anything else to eat besides the lunch offered? I ask because of PICKY eaters. (I happen to be one of them..LOL) If not, maybe we'll bring some sort of sealed, pre-packaged snack of some sort with us since this is a pretty long excursion. Thanks!

I totallly agree with bdink. We had pre-ordered the lunch based on reviews by others. It was just OK. You're out in the middle of nowhere. It's not like there's a restaurant. Several of the tour groups just bring a van full of box lunches. Styrofoam containers with 1 piece of chicken, rice and beans, cole slaw and grape soda while you sit on the bus waiting to return. It was not bad, but it was 2:30 by the time we got the lunch and the ship was an hour away. We did stop at a grocery on the way, so you could have bought some additional snacks/fruit etc. For the $6/lunch, probably worth it. If you didn't pre-order it, you didn't get one. I am sure some people regretted that. But, it was comical, thinking about the celebration of our prosperity by taking a "Caribbean Cruise" and here we are on a rickety old school bus in the middle of a Belizean jungle eating rice and beans with a plastic fork...that's living.

We went a couple of years ago and the group opted to stop at a local restaurant. We ordered the chicken with rice and beans and it was delicious!! It was cooked fresh for us so maybe that is why it was more enjoyable than eating it on the bus... Tom Sat on a stool and gave the tour a talk about the culture and the country as a whole. I will say if my DS had been there he would not have eaten it (he is very picky and does not try new things) so if he had been with us I would have wanted a snack for him. We did stop at a store on the way out and they had chips etc.

This is still one of our favorite excursions ever taken!!

Also we had the BEST banana daiquiri back at the port at the smoothie shack. My DH still talks about it.I will be getting one or two the next time we head back. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived