cab ride around GC

SuzanneE

:confused: Has anyone taken a cab ride around and chosen their own sights to see, such as Hell, the rumcake factory, 7 mile beach, and just the countryside? If so, did you feel safe and any ideas about cost would be appreciated. We just don't want a big organized tour, oh yea, the sting ray observatory, too. Thanks:)

:confused: Has anyone taken a cab ride around and chosen their own sights to see, such as Hell, the rumcake factory, 7 mile beach, and just the countryside? If so, did you feel safe and any ideas about cost would be appreciated. We just don't want a big organized tour, oh yea, the sting ray observatory, too. Thanks:)

Haven't done a cab tour, but have been to the island a number of times and would consider it extremely safe. The people are wonderful. Our recent trip (in November) we cabbed up to the Turtle Farm, to the dive shop next door, and as the Turtle Farm was so busy, could not get a cab back to town. Ended up grabbing the bus (really a large van) and riding back thru Hell, and the other side of the island with a group of locals & school children. Was actually great fun for a couple of dollars a person!

There are cabs available right at the dock. Most are offering 90-minute tours of the usual Hell, Turtle Farm, beach for US$15. If you hire a personalised tour then the price goes up significantly with some room for negotiation. Cayman is quite safe, since all cabs are gov't licensed and everyone knows each other. You can negotiate right there on the dock, but most will offer "island tours" and only stay on the developed West Coast of the island. To try a truly whole island tour try www.earthfoot.org/places/ky001.htm

Where do you go to get a cab for the US$15 for Hell, Turtle Farm, and beach? What beach do they take you to? Do you get a different cab from the beach back to the ship?

cruislovin- The main cab stand is located right where the cruise dock is. When we were there (nov) cab drivers were soliciting business and were offering "custom made tours" of the Island. Most of the "cabs" were 8 passanger vans, and would not leave the stand until they were full. We picked a "cab" that appeared to be well maintained, air conditioned, and the driver/owner neat and personable. We (me, DW, and another couple) had decided where we wanted to go, and what we wanted to see ahead of time so price negotiations were somewhat easy. I would suggest that anyone wanting to tour this way research the CC boards and the Grand Cayman websites to get some idea as to what ya want to see in advance. We wound up with a great tour guide and driver. He is a life long resident of the island and his great grandparents were brought over from South Africa. What a wealth of knowledge He has of the Islands, and He was so eager to depart with this "first hand" knowledge. Our tour lasted over 4 hours, and we visited the Governors Mansion, the Ginger Bread House, Hell, The Rum Cake Factory, (Oh what a delight) the Turtle Farm. and Seven Mile Beach. After our "required" stops, we toured the interior of the island and oh what a heart breaker. Our driver (whose name and address I have regrettably lost) had tears running down his cheeks when he attempted to describe the terrible ordeal that he, his family, and fellow countrymen went through during the Hurricane. All of this for only $15 pp. (The ship sponsored tour for just the "required" stops was $30 pp.) He did receive a large tip from each of us. For those of you that have security questions be advised that all of the cab drivers are required to be licensed by the Government, and they are required to sign out, and back in after each "tour. Geesh I didn't mean to write a book about this, it's just that I was so impressed by the struggle of these fine people dealing with the aftermath of a terrible tragedy that I sometimes get carried away. I hope everyone enjoys their time there as much as We did, and just remember these folks are still trying to put the pieces of their lives back together. See ya.byebye.gif

cruislovin- The main cab stand is located right where the cruise dock is. When we were there (nov) cab drivers were soliciting business and were offering "custom made tours" of the Island. Most of the "cabs" were 8 passanger vans, and would not leave the stand until they were full. We picked a "cab" that appeared to be well maintained, air conditioned, and the driver/owner neat and personable. We (me, DW, and another couple) had decided where we wanted to go, and what we wanted to see ahead of time so price negotiations were somewhat easy. I would suggest that anyone wanting to tour this way research the CC boards and the Grand Cayman websites to get some idea as to what ya want to see in advance. We wound up with a great tour guide and driver. He is a life long resident of the island and his great grandparents were brought over from South Africa. What a wealth of knowledge He has of the Islands, and He was so eager to depart with this "first hand" knowledge. Our tour lasted over 4 hours, and we visited the Governors Mansion, the Ginger Bread House, Hell, The Rum Cake Factory, (Oh what a delight) the Turtle Farm. and Seven Mile Beach. After our "required" stops, we toured the interior of the island and oh what a heart breaker. Our driver (whose name and address I have regrettably lost) had tears running down his cheeks when he attempted to describe the terrible ordeal that he, his family, and fellow countrymen went through during the Hurricane. All of this for only $15 pp. (The ship sponsored tour for just the "required" stops was $30 pp.) He did receive a large tip from each of us. For those of you that have security questions be advised that all of the cab drivers are required to be licensed by the Government, and they are required to sign out, and back in after each "tour. Geesh I didn't mean to write a book about this, it's just that I was so impressed by the struggle of these fine people dealing with the aftermath of a terrible tragedy that I sometimes get carried away. I hope everyone enjoys their time there as much as We did, and just remember these folks are still trying to put the pieces of their lives back together. See ya.byebye.gif
Timmy - very well put!! I was in GC the week after you (I think!) and also very moved by the tremendous heart of these people. Taking the bus, we got to talk to the locals and it was very touching. The bus took us thru the interior (and the neighborhoods) and was both sad & amazing. I would even recommend taking the bus if you're just going to 7 mile beach, Turtle Farm, or out to Hell ...

Hi Kathy, fancy meeting you over here. HAPPY NEW YEAR

Funny, we keep posting into each other .... and with a zillion poster on these forums .... next we'll find out we're on the same cruise!!;)

And It's a VERY Happy New Year at our house!! The Longhorns won!! :D :D

Timmy - very well put!! I was in GC the week after you (I think!) and also very moved by the tremendous heart of these people. Taking the bus, we got to talk to the locals and it was very touching. The bus took us thru the interior (and the neighborhoods) and was both sad & amazing. I would even recommend taking the bus if you're just going to 7 mile beach, Turtle Farm, or out to Hell ...

We are interested in going to the Turtle Farm, Hell, and 7 mile beach. Are there different buses to each location? How long does the ride take to each place? How much is the bus per person?

We are interested in going to the Turtle Farm, Hell, and 7 mile beach. Are there different buses to each location? How long does the ride take to each place? How much is the bus per person?

Here's a link to some bus info .... we only took the bus from the Turtle Farm back to town without getting off - but it looped up through Hell then back down along part of 7 mile beach. People got off in the Hell area, as well as one of the public access areas to the beach. I believe the cost was a couple of bucks for us to go back to town. Don't know what they charge for each stop ..... From the Turtle Farm back was probably about 30 minutes or so ... didn't really watch the clock as we were all talking.... and the buses aren't really buses - they are large passenger vans with a 'bus' sign in the window. I believe we took the #1.

Here's a link to some bus info .... we only took the bus from the Turtle Farm back to town without getting off - but it looped up through Hell then back down along part of 7 mile beach. People got off in the Hell area, as well as one of the public access areas to the beach. I believe the cost was a couple of bucks for us to go back to town. Don't know what they charge for each stop ..... From the Turtle Farm back was probably about 30 minutes or so ... didn't really watch the clock as we were all talking.... and the buses aren't really buses - they are large passenger vans with a 'bus' sign in the window. I believe we took the #1.

i don't see a link ?!?

here is one from a google search:

http://www.caymanvacations.com/indexmenu.htm?general/bus_service.htm&2

i don't see a link ?!?

here is one from a google search:

http://www.caymanvacations.com/indexmenu.htm?general/bus_service.htm&2

Sorry! That is the link I was using ... my computer was having connection issues and I guess I lost the link before I finally got the message posted .... thanks for covering my slip-up!

Has anyone just gone to Hell and back? :rolleyes: I mean taken a cab there and then just returned to 7 mile beach to hang out. How long was the trip to Hell? Cost? The other couple in our group has mentioned they want to go there before the beach and was trying to get some advance info. Thanks.

Boo's Mom-Please keep in mind that only 2 to 4 ships a day were porting in Georgetown when we were there. The locals were getting desperate for revenue, and I am sure the fares fluctuated from day to day. I am not sure what point you are trying to make, and won't speculate. Are you questioning the length of time our driver spent with us, or the fare of $15 pp inaccurate, or $5 fare to the yacht club too high, or just congratulating us for finding a great "tour guide" at such a reasonable fare? upset.gif Just wondering. confused.gif

About taxi prices:

So' date=' $5.00 per person...one way...from the pier to the Yacht Club (10 minutes?)...is a high price? Right?

If a tour guide will drive someone around for four hours....for $15. pp???

:eek:[/quote']

It's high, but probably correct. Taxi prices on Grand Cayman are among the highest you'll find on any islands in the region.

Taxi tour prices don't include admission fees and they aren't driving all the time. They also typically take 8 people at $15pp or $120.

The fares are supposed to be regulated, so I imagine there might be a sign at the taxi stand with most of the popular destinations and fares. If you do see rates posted, and the rates are in CI$, it would be even higher in US$,

TimmyII....

I am questioning the cab fare that I was quoted for transportation to/from our tour. A total of 7 people, round trip, 20 minutes total....for $70.00.

And....this quote is advertised as being 1/2 off the regular fares.

I chose not to pre-book this transportation, because it seemed a bit high.....which is why I was asking around.

If it is not high....I would love to pre-book it and have everything arranged beforehand.

Wow Boo's Mom that sounds high to me also, especially as its supposedly 1/2 off. Sorry I can't help you. I might suggest that you go to a Caman Island website and check their transportation thread. Hope you get a better price, and have a great cruise.

Archived