Norwegian Excursion to Virgin Gorda/The Baths

JBLWright

Has anyone taken this excursion? (I'm not referring to the one that includes snorkeling.) If so, how long do you get to stay at The Baths? My family is considering booking this tour--despite the cost--because the ship will be at Tortola only from 7 AM until 3 PM, and the last ferry we can take back from Virgin Gorda leaves at 12:30. Do you think we'd be safe going on our own? I've read you need at least an hour at The Baths, and from the pictures I've seen, I could stay there forever!

Well, for one there is the climbing back up to the top from the beach via a staircase that was quite steep for me. I have a shattered leg that is put together so to speak. Also, in the caves there is climbing over boulders and such. I didn't even attempt that. I just enjoyed the scenery.

Good to hear that you enjoyed the excursion to The Baths. How long did you stay there? Did you feel rushed? Going to The Baths is the main reason we booked this cruise, and I want to be there as long as possible. Don't want to miss the ship though!!!

Good to hear that you enjoyed the excursion to The Baths. How long did you stay there? Did you feel rushed? Going to The Baths is the main reason we booked this cruise, and I want to be there as long as possible. Don't want to miss the ship though!!!

We were there approximately 2 hours of a 4 hour excursion, which was plenty of time. We both got to see the caves separately though as I said I did not go very far into them and relax on the beach. We do not snorkel either. It is not a very big area. You have to consider the local ferry which some people say is not reliable as far as time schedules. Also, the tour bus to get there. Hope this helps. That being said, it is worth it to see it once.

Has anyone taken this excursion? (I'm not referring to the one that includes snorkeling.) If so, how long do you get to stay at The Baths? My family is considering booking this tour--despite the cost--because the ship will be at Tortola only from 7 AM until 3 PM, and the last ferry we can take back from Virgin Gorda leaves at 12:30. Do you think we'd be safe going on our own? I've read you need at least an hour at The Baths, and from the pictures I've seen, I could stay there forever!

Hey...I responded to your question last night on your original post under the "Samana, St. Thomas, Tortola itinerary" post. I didn't want to post again on this one....so go back and take a look!!!

Well, for one there is the climbing back up to the top from the beach via a staircase that was quite steep for me. I have a shattered leg that is put together so to speak. Also, in the caves there is climbing over boulders and such. I didn't even attempt that. I just enjoyed the scenery.

One tip, make sure to take water shoes as the sand is kind of rough and there are rocks in the water. Water shoes will also make it easier to climb the caves and boulders.

Is it very slippery? Have you seen or heard of anyone getting hurt?

It wasn't very slippery, just rocky in some spots. When they say boulders, they mean boulders. In one of the caves there is a rope to help you climb over but we had sneakers on and the inside of the cave is full of water. We didn't want to have to walk around with soggy sneaks the rest of the day and it was a little to rough to do in bare feet. It really is amazing and I'm glad we made the trip.

We did the excursion in January as well. It was great, but I would recommend doing it on your own if you can. There was not much time at the baths. 2 hours is not enough for that beautiful spot.

We were in Tortola 8am-4pm (arrived early too actually). The excursion did not meet until 11:30am, and we came back at 3:50. Because of the late meeting time, I wish that we went on our own and spent some time on the beach without the crowds. For the caves, water shoes are definitely a good idea. Getting through is a little tricky when the crowds get there but it's still ok. Not really slippery. One man was going through with us had a 10 month old baby strapped to his chest, and they both seemed to be having a great time.

When at top of the baths you have to walk down to the beach with everyone, which takes a while, Then you can separate, spend few minutes on the beach, go through the caves to the other side, around 20-30 minutes on the beach (paradise) and you can take another way back to the top. They do have a pool and delicious pina coladas at the top of the baths.

Someone please correct me if the current excursions leave early.

There wasn't much to do in Tortola early in the morning and we were jelous of all the people getting on the early ferries.

Some pictures are available through the link in my signature.

[

Someone please correct me if the current excursions leave early.

Ir am currently booked on NCL's baths snorkel trip (the other excursion I know) and it says on our itinerary that it leaves at 0800AM. it was 0915 when I booked it so it's actually departed earlier than Patouche (at least for now). We are going mid Oct - don't know if this is a change, but I prefer the earlier time.

Ir am currently booked on NCL's baths snorkel trip (the other excursion I know) and it says on our itinerary that it leaves at 0800AM. it was 0915 when I booked it so it's actually departed earlier than Patouche (at least for now). We are going mid Oct - don't know if this is a change, but I prefer the earlier time.

The snorkel excursion did leave earlier then the non-snorkel one, but not quite so early in January. Hopefully they changed all of them.

We already signed up for NCL excursion in Feb., we usually do as many things on our own as possible, but we're only there from 7:00AM - 1:00PM. Not willing to take a chance and do want to see the Baths.

Pat

We will be in Tortola from 8am to 5pm on the Jewel Repo.

Would we be safe timing wise going our own way? How far is the ferry to Tortola? While we do usually book private excursions vs ships excursions, I also don't like to take chances, especially if we're traveling far from port.....like to another island!!

The ferry is about 10-15 min walk from the ship, or you can take a cab (5min). Once you get to Spanish Town, you will need to get a cab, and the same one usually comes back for you at an agreed hour.

In the end a lot depends on the ferry schedule.

Nineteen years ago, when I went to Baths, we hired a private boat that anchored near the beach area and we were able to swim/walk a very short distance to the Baths. Where the boat anchored, the less adventurous could snorkel and sunbathe while the others explored the Baths. If you could grab a boat ride right into the area, the time spent with other transportation and walking to the site would be cut down . Hence, more time at the Baths.

Also, back then there were areas in the Baths were you had to hold your breath and swim underwater to get the certain areas. I know some people might have an issue with this because you won't be able to surface for a short period of time. Not a big deal and the Baths a worth it.

However, times have changed since I was there, except for our small group of 8 not a soul was there and there was no entrance fee. Other things might have changed also. Does anyone know if a private charter can still get this up front and personal?

We did the Baths via NCL excursion in 06 and there was no staircase going down the cliff. When did they build that?

OP, without a doubt this is one I would not do privately but only on ship excursion, but that is just me. No matter what through, GO. It is one of our most favorite excursions ever. It is almost impossible to describe the beauty of the beach with those huge massive boulders every where.

Archived