Helmet dive in Gand Cayman

dololie

I have e mailed seatrek but they have not answered my e-mail. We thought about doing it in Cozumel but a fellow cruiser said the currents were stronger there,I will try to e-mail them again.

There is a website specific to the Sea Trek operations in Cayman. Direct from the website (with spellig error included):

There are a number of ways to contact

use here at Sea Trek Cayman Islands:

By email:

mail@seatrekcayman.com

By telephone

+1 (345) 949 0008

By Fax

+1 (345) 946 0008

In person

Hammerheads

North Church Street

Grand Cayman

Cayman Islands B.W.I.

boat1.jpg

I will now pick on them a little bit (and helmet diving in general).

When helmet diving you are subject to a change in body pressure which is the same as if you are scuba diving. General good health is needed for diving. This is not very stressful, but Sea Trek (not just in Cayman) has understated the risks - which are already minimal.

Sea Trek claims "To date more than one-half million people around the world have participated in a Sea Trek adventure without a single reported incidence of injury."

This is simply untrue. There was tragically a death at the Sea Trek operation here in Cayman just last year. See news article published here: http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=1031020

There are risks associated to diving - even helmet diving. To understate or ignore those risks does a diservice to us all.

I just want to have a clear view on helmet diving. We were/are going to do the helmet dive. My husband has a stent due to a heart attack 9 years ago, he is also a diebetic, Would the change in pressure hurt him? I would rather not dive if there is a chance, I would really like your opinion. Thanks

Since I am not a doctor I cannot offer a medical opinion as to a specific case.

More generally, a person with medical conditions such as you describe would be required to have a doctor sign off that they are fit to dive prior to taking a scuba diving course. I do not know what medical screening is in place for a helmet dive operation.

For diving, diabetes should be well controlled and particular attention should be paid as to whether there is a risk of the patient having a loss of consciousness while underwater.

Cardiovascular health should be evaluated to determine that the physical exertion required is within the tolerance of the participant. A specific example cited on a dive medical questionnaire is whether a person can walk a mile in fifteen minutes.

Pressure changes experienced in diving can have direct impact on air spaces within the body. Injury to the middle ear and lungs are possible if proper procedure is not followed. The first rule of diving is to never hold your breath.

I used to work in Bermuda and went on the helmet diving excursions when ever anyone would come to visit. This is an awesome adventure!

Your normally in less than 25 feet of water, and there is plenty of air in the helmet (a good 10 minutes worth) should the compressor turn off...and because you go into the water by ladder, you have plenty of time to walk along the bottom back to the ladder if you don't like the experience.

As for pressure...yes there's alittle change. The good thing is that you can reach up into your helmet and hold your nose while you blow. Real Easy.

Also, because the tours normally go to the same location, there is lots of great fish that wait for the boat to come because they know they'll get a good feed (you get a waist pocket with goodies to hand-feed the fish).

I've never seen anyone chicken out (I've been on this at least 20 times), and never seen an air failure. You simply walk down the ladder and your in a wonderfully new world.

Highly recomended for all ages. Do it...you'll talk about it for years.

• 2 weeks later...
We can go on a helmet dive in GC or Cozumel. I have been told the currents i Cozumel are strong. Is this the reason thr dive is cheaper in Cozumel/

I'm not sure why the cost is more in GC but everything seems to be more expensive in GC than Cozumel.

Archived