best excursions-Carnival or independent booking?

caribbeancruiser09

I'm booked on my first cruise (yay!) on Carnival in September. I have read a lot about Major Tom in Belize and am going to book independently there, but I'm not sure what to do- are there any "go to" excursions in Grand Cayman either through Carnival or booked independently?

Thanks in advance!!!

I highly recommend Capt. Marvin's for Stringray City. They have several tours at various times of the day and include a variety of things to do. Go to http://www.captainmarvins.com/. We used Capt Marvin twice and had an amazing time both times. Cost to do a half day Stingray City tour with a snorkle stop or two is $35/person. A lot less expensive than booking through the ship. Capt Marvin's is a very short walk from the pier. We'll be doing this for the 3rd time in August. Hope this helps.

I'm booked on my first cruise (yay!) on Carnival in September. I have read a lot about Major Tom in Belize and am going to book independently there, but I'm not sure what to do- are there any "go to" excursions in Grand Cayman either through Carnival or booked independently?

Thanks in advance!!!

Try ShoreTrips.com we have used them for years on cruises and land with no problems.

Thanks so much, Hollyday and DiveCruiser!!! shoretrips.com looks like a great site for all our shore destinations!

I was very worried about booking excursions outside of the cruiseline, but the Carnival excursions at Grand Cayman are the same as anywhere else- snorkelling, kayaking, city guide, etc. If there is something worth doing that is different (or even just cheaper!) than carnival, that's what I'm going to aim for!

Neither of you have ever heard of issues with these companies (returning late to port, not honoring refunds, etc)? I'm a nervous nelly when it comes to this stuff!

We have always done the half day excursion to Stingray City with Capt. Marvin leaving about 9am and returning around 12pm. We always had plenty of time for shopping afterwards. Never a problem making sail time.

• 2 weeks later...
We have always done the half day excursion to Stingray City with Capt. Marvin leaving about 9am and returning around 12pm. We always had plenty of time for shopping afterwards. Never a problem making sail time.

We were thinking of doing the same...am tour with Capt. Marvin and then shopping and/or 7MB. Is there a good drop off point around 7MB for both? Shopping would mainly be geared towards souvenirs for our kids. We also want to take in 7MB...is it possible for both?

Does Captain Marvin use an air conditioned van/bus or an old school bus to get you to the boat?

Does he let you feed the stingrays?

Cpt Marvin's does use air conditioned van/bus. They will pick you up at their office a few yards from the pier and take you to the boat docked at Cpt Marvin's house. He is in his late 80s now and does not do the tours himself anymore. You will do one (maybe 2) snorkle stop for about 30-45 minutes at reef and then proceed to Stingray City. There the guide will give you a informative talk about the sting rays. They are all Southern Rays. You will get to pet, hold and kiss the rays and some will even get a back massage. They have someone videoing everything. I think it costs about $60 for the video. They have fruit punch and restrooms on the boats.

Hope this helps

We were thinking of doing the same...am tour with Capt. Marvin and then shopping and/or 7MB. Is there a good drop off point around 7MB for both? Shopping would mainly be geared towards souvenirs for our kids. We also want to take in 7MB...is it possible for both?

It would depend on what time you do Sting Ray city. On the one we did (I think it was around 9am) they offered to drop us off at 7MB and you can take a taxi back to the ship.

Just to jump in here - we booked with NativeWay. Did it online here before we left home. I think it was about $60 pp? Like the other independents, they picked us all up right outside the pier area and drove us a short drive to the boat. We went to Stingray City first, and were among the FIRST to arrive. It was fabulous. There were only about 15 of us on the tour, so there's lots of personal attention. A videographer, too, filming everything. We had lots of interaction, feeding and play time with the Rays. Then we motored a short distance to the reef for snorkeling. Stayed there maybe a half hour? From there they take you to Rum Point. SO beautiful. We had lunch there (which we pre-ordered from the boat), which was ready when we arrived. Spent an hour and half or so at Rum Point, after which we were returned to our starting point. It was a whole day. Very little shopping time afterwards. I had time for a mad dash into whatever was closest for my requisite refrigerator magnet, and then had to get to the last tender. It was a GREAT day and I would recommend it to anyone visiting GC for the first time.

Yes, yes, yes...whatever you choose, the independent excursion is going to be 50 times more enjoyable AND affordable. Less people, more personal service and less money. As long as you're comfortable with being responsible for getting yourself back in time (we usually book private excursions for just the mornings, which gives us plenty of time to get back to the ship in a pinch OR poking around in the shops and bars near the pier).

We chose Nativeway for GC...I did plenty of research on the 5 or 6 vendors that are mentioned a lot on these boards, and they had the most reasonably priced, best rated/reviewed tour and also were offering to go where we wanted to go (Stingray Sandbar and Rum Point, which is gorgeous and a "must do").

Good luck! Planning is half the fun! ;)

Me and my DW went to a dive resort called " Sunsethouse Dive Resort, " about a mile down the street to the right as you get off the pier. We walked it, but next time I would take a taxi because of the traffic and no sidewalks. It's a hotel for divers. We walked up to the front desk and asked if we could use there facility for snorkeling and found the most friendly and accomidating people ever. They made a man-made pool in the rock shoreline with a simple ladder to get in and out of the water. THIS IS FREEEE!!!! Bring your own snorkel stuff and you will be all by yourself in this big pool, with nobody else around, fish everywhere and a 15 ft. opening to the ocean if you wish to go out of the pool area. Then after snorkeling in this amazing place, you can use the outdoor restaurant for food or a beverage of your choice. This is where a lot of the locals go..

Do they have restrooms on board the boat or changing areas? Do you just wear swimsuit right off the ship. Has anyone heard of anyone getting stung by a sting ray?:confused:

We did Capt. Marvin's and they do have a restroom on the boat...we wore shorts and shorts over our suits. The sting rays are very gentle. They are happy you are there to feed them and are usually not on the bottom to be stepped on. Your guide will explain you need to do the sting ray shuffle (slide you feet as you walk). If anyone ever got stung the ships would discontinue the excursion to Sting Ray City. The water is only 3 feet deep. It's a wonderful experience. I hope you do it.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Destiny last month and did the ray, reef, rum tour with Nativeways, they were great! There's plenty of time to do it all. If you're concerned, go to their web site and e-mail Sharon, the owner, on when you'll be there and she can recommend the best tour to take. I've been out twice with them, small groups, clean boat, great crew and you get there ahead of the crowds. The tour included lunch at Rum Point, yummy!

Going on the Liberty 9/26, may do another tour with them!

Have a great time!

We just returned from the Legend. We did the rays, reef, and rum point trip with Nativeway. I have to say that it was fabulous. If you do a trip to stingray city with the ship's excursion, be prepared to share your experience with 40 or so of your "closest" friends. We had maybe 10-15 on a very comfortable boat and had a great time. We all felt so sorry for the people on those "cattle"boats. We spent just enough time in the water and had the boat's guides in the water with us and the stingrays.

These outfits are true professionals..they cannot afford to have us miss the ship..their existence depends on getting us back on time. Trust me, you will have a much better experience booking your own excursions.

Archived