Mexican Riviera Ports Are there Grocery's or Markets near where the ship docks?

marcyjane

I know this is not that important of a question but, here goes anyway.

Sailing on HAL Oosterdam this December to Mexican Riviera.

Our ports of call will be Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta.

We like to stop and pick up some soda-soft drinks while in port and was just wondering from those of you that have sailed the Mexican Riviera to these ports of call could tell me if there are any mini-market's or grocery stores near where the ship docks.

We are Diet Mt. Dew drinkers. (for those of you that are as well know what I mean) Gotta have my "Dew".

This might sound crazy but, do they even carry Pepsi products in the Mexican ports of call.:confused:

Thanks so much in advance for your information :D

Marcy

There is a Walmart right across from the cruise ship dock in Puerto Vallarta and an OXXO (similar to a 7-11) on the same side of the road, on the right a couple of blocks away.

Mexico has Pepsi products but not Mt. Dew. It was introduced about 5 years ago, lasted about three months and failed, they never had Diet here.

WalMart does carry Diet Dr. Pepper in the can....most Diet products are called "Light" and are calorie/sugar free. So, Diet Coke is called Coca Light for example. There are not many diet sodas here, usually only Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Diet 7-up, Diet Sprite, Diet Manzana (Apple) and that's about it except some places have Diet Dr. Pepper but not many.

Thank you so much!!!;)

Can't wait to visit Puerto Vallarta.

My boss and his wife went a couple of years ago and just loved it.

There daughter was an exchange student and they had a teenage boy come and spend the next summer with them here in Tennessee. He was so nice and told all the employee's about Puerto Vallarta.

Thanks;)

Marcy

The only real grocery store that is close in, in downtown Cabo is the Aramburo market in the Aramburo plaza. This is right in the heart of downtown Cabo. It is fairly small (compared to WalMart) but will have all the basics. If you buy a bunch of heavy soda's, it may be best to catch a cab back to the tender pier. The walk would be probably 20 minutes or longer.

Here is a map. The Aramburo is in the upper left hand corner.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=22.8844981&lon=-109.9088627&z=18&l=0&m=b

I stocked up on sodas not far from the tender pier in Cabo. There is a sort of convenience store a short distance past the indoor mercado that has sodas at a very reasonable price. Also, in Puerto Vallarta, if you don't want to cross that very busy road to get to the Wal Mart, there is a supermarket on the same side of the road as the pier, where we bought some sodas and snacks. Just walk out to the road and go right and the market is called Soriana's.

I

We are Diet Mt. Dew drinkers. (for those of you that are as well know what I mean) Gotta have my "Dew".

This might sound crazy but, do they even carry Pepsi products in the Mexican ports of call.:confused:

Thanks so much in advance for your information :D

Marcy

Yes and no. Yes we have just about all Pepsi products including Mt. Dew and Dt. MT. Dew (some brands are imported and some are manufactured in MX). But no, the store where you can find is not close to the pier. The large grocery CCC will cost about $8US each way and I don't think you want to attempt the bus! They have Dr. Pepper, AW, and a bunch of brands/flavors you don't see anywhere else around as well. Now they only have in cans...and sell individually. Each can is about 12pesos I believe or about $1US. I try to go by there every other week or so just to see what they got in. Sometimes the prices are outragous...like 75pesos for a bag of Hersey's kisses (Candy Cane or Caramel flavor) and sometimes about the same as in states. I have found real Fritos, Pickapepper sauce, Bean and Bacon Cambell's soup, and Lipton Onion Soup mix.

Ahh Caro C, you are taking all the adventure out of it. The first year we stayed at Sunset Beach as owners, we didn't rent a car. Used TransC... for our airport transportation. To get to the CCC, the concierge recommended we take the free shuttle out to the Rose, then walk down to the security gate to get on the collectivo. Then we had to make sure they dropped us off by the CCC. Did our shopping - decided there was no way we were going to haul everything back via the collectivo & free shuttle (had some dairy & meat products). Caught a cab by the CCC and it was about 5 or 6 dollars back to Sunset Beach (back in 2001/02). Took about 10 min. Our original path via the free shuttle & collectivo took over an hour. Lesson learned, but now we just rent a car for the week. Much easier!!! Gotta love the CCC though.

See the Walmart thread on this board. I visit the Puerto Vallarta Walmart myself for needed items. I don't remember seeing a market nearby in Maz or Cabo.

This picture gives you an idea just how close it is:

2246445260040669306S600x600Q85.jpg

and this was taken from the Walmart parking lot:

2357878790040669306S600x600Q85.jpg

Great pictures :)

The soda's in Mexico are very diffrent from what we are used to... So i would bring what you think u may drink on board with you....

Very different, maybe yes, maybe no. The principal difference is often in the sweetner used . . . many Mexican soft drinks are produced using cane sugar . . . preferred by many people in the USA also but almost nonexistent (in the USA) . . . before corn syrup was introduced and artifical sweetners, etc. The rest of the formula's should be the same as you find elsewhere, however. No need to bring cases of drinks with you from home . . . you should be able to find what you want in one or more of the ports of call.

Very different, maybe yes, maybe no. The principal difference is often in the sweetner used . . . many Mexican soft drinks are produced using cane sugar . . . preferred by many people in the USA also but almost nonexistent (in the USA) . . . before corn syrup was introduced and artifical sweetners, etc. The rest of the formula's should be the same as you find elsewhere, however. No need to bring cases of drinks with you from home . . . you should be able to find what you want in one or more of the ports of call.

Hello :)

I was on the TA board and they are wondering what happened to you!

It seems you are missed :)

Ahhh the lessons we learn about CCC...my first week here I thought I would walk there, do my shopping and take a taxi back. Bought all my stuff including a carton of vanilla ice cream. :) No one told me taxis hate to go to the grocery stores because locals get lower rate and taxis want to make more money so they stay in tourist areas. I waited for a taxi for 42 minutes... Ended up taking the collectivo home with vanilla ice cream dripping all over the floor! Now taxis go to CCC but buses still much cheaper!

Ahh Caro C, you are taking all the adventure out of it. The first year we stayed at Sunset Beach as owners, we didn't rent a car. Used TransC... for our airport transportation. To get to the CCC, the concierge recommended we take the free shuttle out to the Rose, then walk down to the security gate to get on the collectivo. Then we had to make sure they dropped us off by the CCC. Did our shopping - decided there was no way we were going to haul everything back via the collectivo & free shuttle (had some dairy & meat products). Caught a cab by the CCC and it was about 5 or 6 dollars back to Sunset Beach (back in 2001/02). Took about 10 min. Our original path via the free shuttle & collectivo took over an hour. Lesson learned, but now we just rent a car for the week. Much easier!!! Gotta love the CCC though.

I forgot to post and let you know that now there are special taxis at both Soriana and CCC aimed just at the locals. They are little white cars that you only see in the neighborhoods way out, far away from the tourist areas. So no one fear, if you take a taxi to either grocery, there will a taxi outside the door to take you back! No more melted ice cream worries.

I LOVE Mexican Cokes! I live in South Texas and many of the mexican rest. sell it, mostly in bottles, for a premium over the fountain soda. But it is the best esp. with a plate of machacado on Sunday after church. The good rest. only take cash here as well.

Monica

Archived