Beach options at the ports

We have little kids (2 and 4 yrs old) and at some ports may not want to do any type of organized 'tour'. Is it possible to just get to a nearby beach and hang out there for the day while at port? And would they be in walking distance to the ship or do you take a taxi?

Or, are there any things you can do just in walking distance to the ship, such as shopping, etc?

I know this is probably relative to which ports and right now we're not sure of which sailing we're doing so this is just a "general" question. THANKS!!!

Melanie

Melanie,

What I would suggest is go to the Ports of Call boards of CC and lookup each port you are going to. You will find a ton of posts on beaches, excursions and other things for each port. You should be able to find out about local beaches that are near where your ship will be docking.

Thanks! I've looked up shore excursions but I notice alot of them where you get to use a beach for they day - they charge about $50 per person. I recall (about 10 yrs ago) when we stopped in Cozumel that we just hopped a taxi and went to a beach just 10 min from the port. Total cost for the 4 of us was about $10-15 for the taxi ride round trip. So just wondering what you can do at the ports if you don't go o nthe cruise line's organized tours.

Thanks!

You can definitely visit a beach on your own in any port...instead of asking the cab driver once you have chosen your cruise and know your ports you should do some research on the 'ports of call' boards and you should be able to find what you are looking for.

As well there is a 'family cruising' thread somewhere here in CC which may be helpful!

Archived