Any suggestions on excursions for my grandma?

My 81 year old grandma has recently decided to join us on our cruise and I'm THRILLED! Months of trying to convince her have paid off. :D The problem is that she doesn't swim (and we have some excursions that include snorkeling at almost every port). I'm not sure if I can convince her to just come along for the ride (and stay on the dive boat or the beach with a book or a camera). If not, can someone suggest any excursions/tours through the ship that she might enjoy, even solo? Our ports are Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan.

Thanks!:)

I have been to those places and Carnival usually has tours suited for everyone.

You dont say if grandma has trouble walking or can get around on her own without much trouble, so its hard to say if she will be ok on her own.

You may consider going over the tours with her and letting her decide what she would be interested in doing. You may also consider spending time with her on a couple of the tours doing what SHE wants to do and other time spent doing what you want to do with your husband while she does something else or sits and watches you from the boat.

You may have to cancel a couple of your water related tours to make her happy, I know I would do the same. I wouldnt expect to take my grandma with me and have her do only what I wanted while she just sat and watched.

So with some compromise and planning everyone will have a great time!

My 81 year old grandma has recently decided to join us on our cruise and I'm THRILLED! Months of trying to convince her have paid off. :D The problem is that she doesn't swim (and we have some excursions that include snorkeling at almost every port). I'm not sure if I can convince her to just come along for the ride (and stay on the dive boat or the beach with a book or a camera). If not, can someone suggest any excursions/tours through the ship that she might enjoy, even solo? Our ports are Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan.

Thanks!:)

Senor Frogs :pj/k

Would she be comfortable just sitting in a lounger drinking a virgin pina colada. Watching the waves and people and reading? I don't swim but I don't mind hanging out waiting on the beach for the snorkelers, can you just snorkel off the beach? Will someone else be with her keeping her company?

If you look at the excursions, you can see figures of walkers and that tells you how strenous it is. She doesn't swim, but does she do a lot of walking? What's she interested in? She might like the turtle farm in GCayman, and there's a tour which combines sting ray city and the turtle farm along with a side trip to "hell", yeah--I know.

Being a grandma doesn't make you decrepit. I'm a grandma and I water ski with the best of them.

Grandma going along. I think that is great. I hope to take my mom along someday. We did a 1 hour trolley tour in Grand Cayman through Carnival for $25. It is called the Trolley Roger. I think you can only book it through Carnival. I know that only takes a small part of the day but we really enjoyed it. On our first cruise, we did the excursion that goes to the Turtle Farm, Hell & Rum Cake factory. There was not much walking in that one either.

Grandma gets around great, she still works full time, actually. The problem is we have had these excursions booked and paid for for a while and she doesn't really want us to change or plans/lose money on her part.

I think she may be content to hang on the beach with us in Coz at Chankanaab while the kids and I do the dolphin excursion. And in Roatan at Tabayana. Belize we're doing Coral Breeze Bannister Caye/Snorkeling/Manatee preserve, so that is doable for her (to just either skip the snorkeling part or hitch a ride to watch for the hour or so we're in the water). Grand Cayman we're doing Rays, Reef & Rum Point through Nativeway, again, possible for her to just hang and enjoy the water and bring a book along or watch the kids (and DH) scream when they get a load of the stingrays, LOL.

Here is a tour for Cozumel. 59.

COZUMEL HIGHLIGHTS & SHOPPINGCZM10A.jpg Tour Cozumel, the largest island in the Mexican Caribbean, and experience its culture, history, scenic beauty and wonderful shopping.

On this excursion you will:

• Learn Cozumel is the largest island in the Mexican Caribbean and is anxiously awaiting the opportunity to show off her culture, history, and scenic beauty, as well as inviting you along for a little shopping!
  • See that once a sleepy little island, Cozumel is now the most important cruise ship destination in Mexico and you will have the opportunity to see the whole island.
  • Your first stop is Discover Mexico Park where you will see unique works of art at the museum and scale models of famous Mexican landmarks.
  • Enjoy your guide’s informative narration as you pass the southern resort area, arriving at Cedral, the oldest settlement in Cozumel.
  • Discover that Cedral features the island’s first church as well as a small, but significant ancient Mayan ruin.
  • Your guide will explain the history of the island as you travel east. Arriving at Punta Sur, you will have a great photo opportunity looking out over the unusual limestone rock formations.
  • .Visit a tequila factory and sample some tequila before rejoining your motor coach for the drive back into town.
  • Continue on to a typical Mexican church and drive past some residential areas before arriving downtown where you will be able to visit the Cozumel Museum.
  • Here, you can also take advantage of Cozumel’s recommended shopping program with some free time to visit the stores.

Note: Buses will return to the ship from downtown at a designated time. Guests, who wish to stay downtown longer, will return to the ship at their own expense.

Duration: 4 Hours Level: easy.gifOther:infant.giftour.gifPricing From:Adult: $59 Child: $59

Last year at Cozumel, we booked a glass-bottomed boat snorkel tour. We jumped off and snorkeled. Mom (79) watched fish through the glass bottom. Our guide would even go under the boat and feed the fish so she had a good show.

Whoever you have booked with may let you change tours as long as you book something else with them---especially since you would be adding one more guest.

This year we did a snorkel tour that stopped at Stingray City. Mom actually got off the catamaran there and kissed the stingrays! It's only waist to chest deep,so no swimmimg was required. She wore a snorkel vest just to be sure. Then she watched us snorkel from the boat on the next two stops of the tour.

The plans you have in place sound great. She will get to see the ports (and be with your family at the same time).

May I add how wonderful it is that she is going. I always wanted my Mom to go on a cruise with us....but she had a stroke before she could go with us.

At 97, she passed away.....make the most of this time with her!!

Archived