Anyone used a consolidator for a helicopter tour in Maui/Molokai?

flashdog_1

I've googled cheap helicopter tours in Maui a number of times and usually just got the helicopter company's website. Some had specials, some did not. Some are now talking about no fuel surcharge as the discount. And the fuel surcharge ranges greatly from company to company for the same length tour.

So I'm totally confused. I know from reading that Blue Hawaiian and Alex Air have two way communication between pax and pilot. I know the difference in the A and E type choppers.

But the prices some consolidators I found yesterday are almost too low to believe. When I tried to email one, my computer said it wasn't a valid address, so don't know if they are still in business. They are Mr Froggie or something like that in Lahaina. So I don't even know if the chopper leaves from near Lahaina or Kahului since I haven't called yet. The web address for a $122.95 45 minute ride was hawaiidiscountactivitities.com. It did not mention a fuel surcharge (maybe that's a surprise when you pay on the island). anyone know these people?

Another cheaper one out of Kahului on Alex Air offered a 15% discount plus a $10 per person chit for stuff from their logoshop. They are helitour.com But since I've seen all kinds of prices for Alex Air I don't know what 15% is part of!

Then there was hawaiiinforsource.com with a $149.95 fare on Alex Air plus surcharge & tax = $178.07

Has anyone used any of these consolidators and can they be trusted? No, these are not for going to a time share presentation.

Anyone know if any of the helicopter companies will pick you up at the pier and take you back? Thanks so much.

Aloha,

I think your "Froggie" site is Boss Frog's. They are a bigger company, which does discount activities, mostly by packaging/selling multiple tours to you...and also doing timeshares, despite what they say. They are reputable, just be cautious of:

1. Cancellation policies.

2. Booking fees.

3. Credit card service charge.

4. Ticket delivery-not---you have to pick up.

5. Cancellation fees even if you cancel properly.

Helitours is, I believe, AlexAir's own site. Alex flies Hughes helicopters, not the A and E Stars that SUnshine and Blue Hawaiian use. Most people find the A and E birds more comfortable.

Another thing to watch is that some of the tours which are cheaper are NOT the full West Maui/ Molokai tour. So, while it looks much cheaper, it's also much shorter-so you are really not saving any money. A 45 minute WM/Molokai is not going to get into the more 'interior' cliffs and valleys of Molokai.

It's easy for me to say this, since it's not my money;), but if you're going to do it-do it the best way and most complete tour you can. I would book direct with the company you choose, and go for the gusto!

Thanks, CC Friend!

Know anything about Hawaiiinfosource.com? What would we do without your first hand experience with these outfits? We do appreciate your coming on here and advising us of what to be careful about.

I also read something that might be of interest to other CCers. Those doors- off helicopter rides are not just for the "thrill" of having doors off, but to lighten the weight of this heavier bird!

Guess I'll call Alex air to see what price they're taking the 15% off. I suspect it is the $220 I think original cost which would bring it down to the Hawaiiinfosource.com's price. Benefit of booking with them directly then is the $10 off per person on merchandise. Wonder if that includes a video of the flight (stock footage or not).

Hello,

My husband and I were in Hawaii in February and we used Tom Barefoot's to book our helicoptor tour and activities. They gave use a good price without forcing us to sit through a time share presentation. I would suggest you read the fine print when you see such low prices, there is usually a catch. We did the Blue Hawaiian tour and it was great. Here is the link to Tom Barefoot's site http://www.tombarefoot.com/

Flashdog If it was me choosing a heli ride anywhere I would want to pick a company thats reputable time and time again.

There are at least 3 that fill that spot for us. And we have decided which it will be.

Cheapest price doesn't always work out to be the best deal or in this case the safest.

I did a saearch on your Alex air, I wont pass my thoughts, I'll let you decide.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60631-d1011817-Reviews-Alex_Air_Helicopter_Tours-Kahului_Maui_Hawaii.html

Archived