Raiders of the lost mayan caves

gaylebd

Booked this to surprise my husband -

I read the reviews and I think it will be great especially the repelling down into the caves! That will be new for us. and always love the ziplines.

I am wondering how hot it will be, 2nd week of Sept, in those caves ...

Anyone done this excursion around that time?

Tips?

Suggestions for items to bring? (I know bug spray!)

Thanks!

Gayle

Booked this to surprise my husband -

I read the reviews and I think it will be great especially the repelling down into the caves! That will be new for us. and always love the ziplines.

I am wondering how hot it will be, 2nd week of Sept, in those caves ...

Anyone done this excursion around that time?

Tips?

Suggestions for items to bring? (I know bug spray!)

Thanks!

Gayle

While we haven't done that particular trip, we did do caving in Belize at Actun Tunichil Muknal (see http://www.pacztours.net/pages/tours/ATM.html) during late November 2007. While the weather in Belize is warm, we did not find it unduly so in the hike or in the cave itself. The important things to bring is insect repellant (we like 15-percent Picaridin, just about as effective as DEET but much more comfortable to use). In the ATM cave it was helpful in bringing dry socks to change into after wading through water. I have particularly fair skin so I made sure to use sunscreen (I found the Anthelios 60 sunscreen from La Roche-Posay to work quite well; see http://www.laroche-posay.com). I wore a hat and long-sleeve shirt while in the sun, changing into a T-shirt while inside the cave. For pants I had purchased a very nice pair of "convertible" slacks from Tilley (see http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?gender=m&extractBy=CategoryId&id=7&productNo=TE30; Tilley also has quite nice travel hats). These pants are long for walking in the woods or in town, and the lower portion can be un-zipped while wading. Finally, make sure to have a pair of shoes that can grip slippery rocks and provide good ankle support.

Archived