Just a fun bar

ManyMore

Just walk along the Malancon there are several open air restaurants that you can just pop in, sit down, and have a drink and enjoy the views. The Corona beach club is right there as well and it can get lively at times. I've danced and partied there, so I know first hand.

John

• 2 weeks later...

ManyMore - we are going on the same cruise and hope to have a chill day in Progresso. Don't really want to deal with Merida, heat and humidity. I hear there are great restaurants all along the seaside, they will serve you food and drink while you relax by the ocean. Sounds like my kind of day.

Buddy's is a cool place to hang out for the day. Inexpensive drinks, great ceviche and fish tacos. It's laid back and kind of an expat American and Canadian hangout. They also have internet that you can use MUCH cheaper than on the ship. Wish I we were joining you. Have fun!!

Oh, btw, it's about 2 1/2 blocks down the Malecon (beach blvd) and an easy walk.

And you won't have sweaty, hairy, drunken idiots falling over your chair like you can sometimes get at Corona Beach (which is SOOO not worth the price anyway).

Thanks for the endorsement John.

We're going to Cancun in 48 days. I know, I know... touristy. But sometimes I have to give in to the love of my life. Seeing her happy makes me happy you see. Give me a cafecito under a shade tree in Merida any day.:)

• 4 weeks later...

I was at Buddy's this past week.

Pluses-

Cheap Drinks

Good Food

Good Service ( Our Waiter was awesome)

Minuses( and very big minuses)

The Peddlers. I would venture to say, someone came by our table trying to sell us things at least once every two minutes for the two or so hours we were there. No exaggeration. We had a guy selling bootleg DVD's that must have came by 10 times or more. Very irritating.. we couldn't even have conversations because every one of them was interupted.

The guy running this place is an absolute jerk. Not sure what his name is, however, I heard him on at least two occasions say to customers things along the lines of "How is the service, because if somethings wrong I'll put my foot up the ass of your waiter." That one is an almost direct quote. I thought that was wrong, because, the service was great, and he just came off as a rude jerk to the guests, and his hard working employees. I also overheard other conversations and observed him doing other things that were questionable

• 2 months later...

We are going to be in Progresso mid-January. Looking for a place with cold beer and cheap massages that we can walk to .... can you lead me in the right direction?

Also, I read about a year ago that one of the items to shop for in Progresso was DVD's but I've not seen anything since then ... did I dream that or can you get some good deals on dvd movies in Progresso?

We are going to be in Progresso mid-January. Looking for a place with cold beer and cheap massages that we can walk to .... can you lead me in the right direction?

Also, I read about a year ago that one of the items to shop for in Progresso was DVD's but I've not seen anything since then ... did I dream that or can you get some good deals on dvd movies in Progresso?

After you get off the bus from the boat head west a couple of blocks. You will run into the beach. As stated there are many beach bars, the beer is cold and cheap. Massages are are also available all along the beach, much cheaper than Cozumel. The DVDs are bootleg copies of questionable quality like most counterfeits in Mexico.

After you get off the bus from the boat head west a couple of blocks. You will run into the beach. As stated there are many beach bars, the beer is cold and cheap. Massages are are also available all along the beach, much cheaper than Cozumel. The DVDs are bootleg copies of questionable quality like most counterfeits in Mexico.

Thank you for your information. Guess I will stay clear of the DVDs and spend my mone on massages and beer. lol

• 5 weeks later...

We also went to Buddys. The food and service was good. The waiter was friendly and prompt. The restrooms were clean. The owner was in a good mood and joked alot with us. You do have to learn to say, "move on" in spanish and be almost rude to the peddlers--they can be quite aggressive. The little 6 YO girls who have been trained pout and cry if you don't buy something are particularly annoying. Our DS bought the DVDs before we got there--big mistake. They are poor copies of in-theater video-taping and are in spanish! We think he learned his lesson. We did get a $10 massage just yards from where we were sitting on the beach. The kids had a great time in the water. All-in-all, it was a good day. We will probably go back.

You do have to learn to say, "move on" in spanish and be almost rude to the peddlers--they can be quite aggressive.

A simple "no thanks" (no, gracias) usually works. For those that are persistant, one can add pasar (move on) to the end or salir (leave) and still not really be rude. I can sympathize with some of these people as they are just trying to make a living, but I agree they can be a nuisance!

No nos molestan (Don't bother us) or No me molestes (Don't bother me) also work, but are not considered very polite.

• 4 months later...

We have also done Buddys on our last two Progreso visits and enjoyed the food and drinks and the relaxing tables on the beach. And, yes, lots of "sellers" but we just said "No thanks" and they went on. These sellers were at EVERY beach bar on the beach, so going to a different bar would not save you from the sellers. And, yes, the owner (probably Buddy) is a bit different but he really does try to please all his guests and I'll give him points for that. But, he can be kindof a overly attentive to young female customers.

Archived