Any safe beaches near the port in Ocho Rios?

2preschoolers

I've heard it's not safe to wonder off on your own in Jamaica....not sure how true this is or not. Just wondering if there are any nice beaches close to the port and if so, are they safe and what do they cost?

THANKS!

Just hookup with Courtney or any recommended tour guide and you will be ok. Jamaica is not as bad as what you been told just too much husslers.

What do you mean by "safe?" If you mean someplace where you can leave your valuables unattended while playing in the water I don't think there's a beach anywhere in the world where you can get away with that.

If you mean "not hassled by the locals selling stuff" then you have to realize that the beaches near the waterline in Jamaica are public (although if you have to cross private property to get to it you may have to pay a fee) so this happens just about everywhere -- even in front of many of the high-end resorts. But I've never felt unsafe or threatened by these guys. It's a nuisance at times but you certainly aren't in any physical danger.

If you think you'll be safer surrounded by lots of other tourists where there might be some local security staff (or at least someone kind of keeping an eye on things) you might try something like Margaritaville, or one of the private beach clubs like Bamboo Beach Club in Ocho Rios or Doctor's Cave Beach on Montego Bay. Of course you'll have to pay to enter -- I think Bamboo Beach Club charges something like $40 - $50 but that includes food and drink. But the locals beaches can be fun also -- Shaw Park Beach, the beach at the bottom of Dunn's River Falls, Reggae Beach, etc.

Went to Turtle Beach 3 years ago and will return for a few hours in October.

As you exit the pier stay to your left and walk past some small docks to the entrance. Back then there was a fee of $1.00 to enter the gated beach area which was free of vendors. The sand was soft and white with a gentle slope to the water. The sea was very gentle which was good for small children.

There was a snack bar with food and drinks.

Turtle beach is in the upper left in photo from ship.http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2594865570084874779Ibyhhs

Archived