Travel insurance...JUST for lost/damaged luggage and trip delay?

I was shopping for trip insurance for my grandma and could NOT believe how MUCH more it was than for us. Granted, I expected it to be higher than us because of her age...but the lowest (and crappy) policy I saw was like $200 (the better policies were upwards of $600!). She has sufficient medical coverage (that covers her wherever she is internationally)...is there somewhere I can just purchase the baggage/trip interruption/delay portion?

I was shopping for trip insurance for my grandma and could NOT believe how MUCH more it was than for us. Granted, I expected it to be higher than us because of her age...but the lowest (and crappy) policy I saw was like $200 (the better policies were upwards of $600!). She has sufficient medical coverage (that covers her wherever she is internationally)...is there somewhere I can just purchase the baggage/trip interruption/delay portion?

Did you happen to check the Credit Card her cruise was purchased with, for that protection? Not many offer it, our World Mastercard has (free) Airline AD&D and (minimal) Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay and (minimal) Baggage coverage.

Grandma's age (if she's in upper 60's or above) is what's raising the premium; at that age bracket, the Cruiseline's Insurance (which is fixed and not based on age) might be the better choice, particularly as she has medical which is the weak point of the cruiseline policies. If you don't mind, how old is Grandma? ken

Grandma is 82. I'm actually trying to get my hands on an actual copy of the Carnival policy so I can compare, because my PVP quoted me at only $65 for it.

As I said, at that age the CruiseLine Policy is by far the best deal pricewise for that age!!! Also check the CSA Custom, TravelInsured Trip Protector Lite and IMG TRIP! for a$800, 7-day Caribbean cruise for age 80 you should still be able to get around $100 premium with these policies, which still isn't bad??

You can access the Carnival Policy at http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/vacation_protection_plan/Carnival_plan_desc_0714.pdf

Note that it now includes "Cancel for Hurricane Warning" coverage. Also remember that it's "secondary" insurance, so in the event of a claim, Grandma will first have to file with her own health insurance and wait for the Company's to go thru "coordination of benefits". ken

Archived