Coral Breeze Snorkeling with kids?

huskr217

We will be in Belize in December and are considering booking the Coral Breeze Snorkeling tour. We have a 5 yro and 8 yro who have never snorkeled and have limited swimming abilities. Will they enjoy this tour? They LOVE being in the water. We did Stingray City with them a couple of years ago and they enjoyed it, however the water was very calm and only 3-4ft deep. What is the water like on this tour? I read the FAQ on the Coral Breeze site and it says it is ok to take kids, but I would like first-hand experience from someone who has done this?

Hopefully someone with first-hand experience will come by, but I will mention that I've heard that much of the snorkeling spots in Belize can have a rather strong current. Don't change your mind based on my word alone since I haven't done it yet, but I'd definitely be cautious. I've heard the current can vary a lot depending on weather.

We're doing this with our 6 year old and 10 year old, who also have limited swimming abilities. The kids have snorkel/life vests on the whole time, so the swimming part (as long as they're comfortable in the water) isn't a huge issue. What I did with my kids was get them an inexpensive snorkel set ($20 for a mask and dry snorkel) and took them to the pool (at off-peak hours). We got in the baby pool (2-3 feet deep) I told them to breathe through their mouths, not noses, and off they swam.

As far as current goes, Mark at Coral Breezes assured me that the snorkeling near Bannister Caye is tame, though he would not recommend the Caye Caulker trip for kids.

Hope that helps!

Archived