Review of Uniworld's "River Countess" - 14 July - 21 July Cruise On the Donau

panzerman

All,

As this was our first river cruise with any company my DW and I are happy to announce that all the favorable commentary we have read on CC regarding Uniworld is true and accurate, at least as it applies to our vessel and its crew.

Our month long visit to friends in both Austria and Germany began with a week in Vienna which was very enjoyable as it is a most attractive and beautiful city. The food was delicious in all the places we stopped to eat and the free nightly movies at the Rathausfilmfest with the outdoor food and beverage vendors was very enjoyable. Our hotel (Austria Trend Rathaus) was located in the old First District and allowed us easy walking to most of the interesting sites (Hofburg, St. Stevensdom, main shopping zone) and was very comfortable.

When the 14th arrived a taxi took us to the warf and onto the River Countess. Actually, we saw the River Countess arrive a day earlier. We were visiting the Donauturm, the tall spaceneedle-like TV tower and restaurant on the Old Donau and from almost 300 meters up my wife saw a ship painted in the Uniworld colors and asked me to put a Euro into the power binoculars to see what it was and when I focused on the bow the name was River Countess, just as she was making a large 180 degree turn from under the Reichbrucke to tie up at Handelskai 7.

Even though we were very early in arriving (11:30) there was a nice light lunch awaiting us in the forward lounge with the chief bartender assisting us with drinks. The vessel is very clean and appears almost new even though it was built in 2003 and refurbiushed in 2007. The cabins, finished in what appears to be rosewood paneling, are all the same size with the exception of the four suites, at 151 square feet. It was close but the space was well utilized, especially the bathroom, all marble and well appointed. The bed and bath linens are plush, British and spoiled us badly. There was French bath wash and shampoo pump dispensers in the shower. There was ample closet space and our luggage, once empty, was slid under the queen sized bed and out of the way.

The ship itself, especially the nautical spaces is very tidy and clean. The crew is minimal and we did not see more than 3 or 4 crew menmbers during any of the docking or departure operations. There is almost no sensation of wave or sea movement on our vessel, as there is very little wave action on the Danube, however the current was swift during our voyage and what action there was was generated by passing vessels. I could only tell the ship was gently rocking by the window shades chains swaying.

The service was first rate, the food was ample, attractively presented and the chef and his crew demonstrated considerable variety in entres and supporting dishes. The dining room, called the Restaurant on this ship was at the stern of the vessel and with its tall windows provided excellent viewing during river travel times. Wine, both red and white is complementary and unlimited with the evening dinner.

The included excursions were well thought out and the radio receiver voice system used by the tour guides was a great improvement over the shouted information of years past. As others on this site have said, it allows you to wander about (within 100 feet or so) as you listen to the information/instructions as we walked along the tours.

All transactions for services and merchandise are calculated in Euros but will accept USD in payment and there is a ship credit system that allows one to just sign the invoice when served drinks and you pay up at the end of the cruise.

Seeing Europe from the 'inside' was interesting. This was our 8th trip to Germany and Austria and this was a nice change and ship cruising is the most comfortable way to see it, as long as the sites your interested in are along one of the water routes served by your company.

The travel arrangements made for us by our AAA TA in our home town of Hanover, Pennsylvania in cooperation with Uniworld was problem free, even thought we had extended stays before and after our cruise. Both Austria Air and Lufthansa were expecting us when we showed up and all we need to show was our passports.

As this was such a comfortable, convienent and enjoyable way to cruise I think river cruising will be our cruising of choice in the future. Uniworld is a first rate operation and its leaning to English speaking clientel will make this a first look company for many Americans and the other English speaking guests we met on board. Speaking of the other guests, we met people from England, New Zeland, Austriaila and Canada as well as other Americans. The average age was in the upper 60's although there was one young fellow (20's) who brought his bike with him and spent more time riding along the Danube then on board. Night life onboard is quiet (our preference) and standing on the sun deck with a adult beverage in hand watch the splendors of Europe slide by at 8 miles per hour was just what we needed and wanted. Good show, Uniworld!

Panzerman

Thanks for the review Panzerman. We've cruised Uniworld twice so far and have been quite pleased with this line. Let me suggest you try a Christmas markets cruise. They are a real treat and are priced attractively both for the cruise and airfare due to the time of year.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Joe,

For our second river cruise we are considering a Christmas Cruise. Have you or anyone else taken one on Uniworld? What river would you suggest we take? Is there river water level problems in the colder months in Germany/Austria? Any and all comments and advice is appreciated.

Panzerman

Panzerman, My wife and I were on the Uniworld River Duchess Christmas market cruise last year. It was absolutely perfect. The ship, crew, and itinerary were great. We went from Budapest to Regensberg with many stops enroute. I believe the cruise started on the 28th of November (or so - hard to remember) and finished up in early December.

When you plan, check the dates of the local Christmas Markets. We were able to spend a week in Munich prior to the cruise and attend the markets in Bavaria also.

You will not be disappointed with Uniworld on this cruise. They go out of their way to do an outstanding job.

Fred,

We were very happy with our Uniworld cruise we completed last month and have been mulling over a second river cruise with Uniworld, but wanted something a little different and a Christmas Market cruise would be just the thing. Our cruise was a week in length, will a week for the Christmas Market cruise be long enough? Would two weeks be more enjoyable (e.g. less hectic and more leisuerly? Just wondering. Thanks.

Panzerman (Ken)

We took the longer one. The extra stops and the longer stay in Budapest were worth it. Each and every stop was different. The market in Budapest was all locally made items (extremely well made and the pastries were unbelieveable). Bratislava was a relatively new market with the best pork sandwiches. Vienna was Vienna - enough said. All in all, one of the best vacations we have ever taken.

If it is still on line try to find the 2008 Christmas Market thread. People on the thread used a variety of ships for both the short and longer cruises. It is worth trying to find it.

We really had a great trip and will take it again in a couple of years.

Panzerman,

Great review, thanks. My DH and I are sailing on her on 12/1//09 doing the Christmas Marekts from Vienna to Nuremberg. I am trying to do my homework. I have been looking forward to doing the Christmas Market for some time.

We are staying pre in Vienna at the Hilton Vienna. I have been trying to figure out how far that is from where the River Countess will be docked. I haven't quite been able to find the dock on any map. From where you stayed how did you get to the ship and how much did it cost you? Maybe if I know where your hotel was it could give me a idea of what my cost might be.

Thanks,

Missbsmom

Missbsmom,

We stayed at the Austria Trend Rathausplatz in the 1st Bizerk (the old city). When our week of touring was up and it was time to head to the wharf to board Uniworld's River Countess for our cruise up to Nuremberg, it was a 20 minute taxi ride. All the river cruise ships tie up along the Danube (Donau) along the Handelskai. There are nine spaces along this wharf, numbered 1 through 9. Our taxi was able to drive right down along the wharf and stop at the foot of the gangway.

Panzerman

Archived