Embarking early ?

GrimWheel

Mrs Grimwheel and I have gotten ourselves booked on the 11 Nov TA. For various reasons, including the necessity to be in Southampton by the early morning, and the desire not to cause a breach of the peace in the Terminal (see my earlier post about Mrs Grimwheel's social habits) we are wondering how easy it is to turn up VERY early (say, 11am) and get embarked well in advance of the stated time on the ticket. A friend has done this on P+O a number of times I am told and has enjoyed a late breakfast and lunch on board and is on deck sunning herself (fat chance) while her fellow travelers are still arriving in the terminal.

am i going to get a big "Ms Marlow says NO" when I pitch up at 11am ?

Hi Mr. & Mrs. Grimwheel,

You will be returning with my wife and me to Brooklyn on November 11. We are on the November 5, eastbound crossing and then crossing back.

Last year in October 2008, we did a roundtrip crossing also from Brooklyn. We had friends coming on board in Southampton, so we left the ship and went into the terminal hoping to meet them. It was around 11:30 am, and the terminal had many passengers in the waiting lounge. Boarding began around 12 noon.

So, I do not think your arrival at the Southampton terminal at 11 am, would be early. You will be welcomed with many greetings and smiles.

There is a Roll Call for this November 11 crossing. Look into it for a nice list of other Cruise Critic members who will be on board. The Roll Call is combined with the November 17 Caribbean cruise that begins in Brooklyn once they get rid of us.

Glad you enjoyed the photos I sent you of the Britannia Club. Did they help you with making your decision for this crossing?

Terrence (Terry)

What time is embarkation? Usually for a 5 pm I arrive by 11ish and usually am on board by 12-12:30. And yes I am sunning myself and having a leisurely lunch, etc. too.

Well, usually there is an "advised time of arrival" printed on your ticket, with the instructions not to arrive earlier. Usually we have been given times from 2pm though to as late as 3.30pm.

Hi Mr. & Mrs. Grimwheel,

You will be returning with my wife and me to Brooklyn on November 11. We are on the November 5, eastbound crossing and then crossing back.

Last year in October 2008, we did a roundtrip crossing also from Brooklyn. We had friends coming on board in Southampton, so we left the ship and went into the terminal hoping to meet them. It was around 11:30 am, and the terminal had many passengers in the waiting lounge. Boarding began around 12 noon.

So, I do not think your arrival at the Southampton terminal at 11 am, would be early. You will be welcomed with many greetings and smiles.

There is a Roll Call for this November 11 crossing. Look into it for a nice list of other Cruise Critic members who will be on board. The Roll Call is combined with the November 17 Caribbean cruise that begins in Brooklyn once they get rid of us.

Glad you enjoyed the photos I sent you of the Britannia Club. Did they help you with making your decision for this crossing?

Terrence (Terry)

Terry, yes they did. I thought it looked perfectly fine. In the end we went for an A3 cabin so its main Britannia restaurant for us (unless we get upgraded to QG of course - in my dreams... I did try and bribe the guy on the phone but he couldn't promise anything), and we couldn't justify the extra expense just for the open dining option. There is always the Todd English as well, and plenty of other dining options.

All the best

Archived