Camcorder?

jerseygirl79

Any MiniDV camcorders are good to get and take tapes are cheap enough. I would caution you to avoid ANY HD camcorders that have AVCHD compatibility. I still have my MiniDV and it really was great--it is small and easy to store. You do need to get a cable to view and transfer the video, but it isn't that expensive.

AVCHD camcorders have a need for a Blue Ray DVD player to view what you record. The files are saved on your computer and have to be transferred to DVD in standard DVD or a Blue Ray format (Blue Ray saves mighty fast, DVD--you can go make an elaborate meal and it still will be burning). I ended up buying the DVD transfer dock for the Canon HG10 and it only saves it in Blue Ray format. Therefore, I needed to buy a Blue Ray player. In the end, the camcorder, DVD transfer dock, and Blue Ray costed me around $1700 (Canadian). US prices will be cheaper, but still, it wasn't cheap..Oh, now to view the video on your HDTV, you need to buy the mini HDMI cable, and if you have a way to connect it so that it records to a DVD recorder then you can save the transfer dock and blue ray, but on my set up I have a catch 22 stuation where I can only watch, but not record. No matter how the connectors are hooked up...thus the purchase of the transfer dock and blue ray!

Cnet.com has reviews of video cameras and it is helpful to look there to see what would fit your budget........

I was always happy with the mini dv, now most stores have all the hard drive memory ones. Not sure how taking that on vacation will last memory wise. Thats why i prefered tapes. I want a new one before next year so will look into them again. Mini dv's are cheap now though.

I have a hitachi dvd camera and it is fine. I did however just purchase a Kodak Zi6 small flash camcorder and have been beyond impressed with it. It is the size of a regular camera and shoots in 720 High Def in either 30 or 60 frames per second or in Standard VGA. It is a lot better picture quality than my DVD camera or my wifes Sony MinDV camcorder. It is unbelievably easy to use and obviosly very compact. It also came with rechargable Kodak batteries and charger. The only down side that I can see with it is that it only has 2X zoom but that has not been an issue yet. It is only $159 and I actually got it for $99 as best buy has the Pink ones on Closeout (I guess no one wants pink but to save $60 I can live with it). I got a 8gb SD card for it for about $20 and I get around 2hrs of video from that in HD, it should be about triple that amount in standard. It plugs right into your computer to download the movies or it comes with the connectors to take it to either a high Def. TV or Standard RCA device. This may not be exactly what you where thinking but I have been unbelievable impressed with the little thing so far.

I have a Fugi Digital camera that uses the memory cards. The one I have, and I'm at work so I can't tell you the exact model sorry, takes really great pictures and has a movie setting and you get sound too. Depending on the size of the card I can take "movies" as long as I want, or the batteries hold up LOL. The quality is really good and it was under $250.00 just a about a year and a half ago. This may be the way to go cause you can also take lots and lots of stills!! I edit when I get home. :eek:

Karen, FL :cool:

Archived