Celebrity Solstice ships v P&O ?

LibraLass41

I am a very keen P&O cruiser, and have been on all the fleet except Oceana (and will be cruising on her as well in 4 weeks time).

On Monday I was invited to the pre-inaugural 2n cruise on the new Celebrity Solstice class Ship EQUINOX, I know this is the P&O section, but I wondered if you would like to see my photos and then tell me if you fancy a cruise on this beauty. Yes she is 5*, which is 1* more than the P&O Ships, but the sister ship ECLIPSE will be sailing from Southampton from April next year, and will be almost identical to Equinox...

Here is the link, click on it, and press slide show.

I thought the ship was wonderful and the food and entertainment slightly better than pando. Her decor is modern like Arcadia (my favourite P&O ship) and I would be happy to sail on her soon.

What do you think? Would you change cruiselines and try her?

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Equinox2nCruise27July2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCOaXx9-78avLzgE#

and here is my review:

Equinox 2n Pre-Inaugural Cruise 27-29 July 2009

We arrived at the City Terminal and the sight of the Equinox was very impressive, this was my first time on a Celebrity ship, and how exciting to be trying a brand new ship, pre-maiden and a Solstice class ship at that!

This ship is the 2nd Solstice ship to be rolled out, the 3rd will be very interesting as ‘Eclipse’ will be based in Southampton next year after her launch, and should be very similar to this ship and will, no doubt, be major competition for P&O. Celebrity have been recently voted best UK Cruise line by the Telegraph, The Guardian, Observer Travel Awards 2008.

This ship is 122,000 tonnes and has a occupancy of 2,850, on this mini-cruise she was sailing at 80% occupancy with around 2,300 onboard, so while looking around the ship I was looking at how the public rooms coped with that many onboard, and I must say, it felt roomy and comfortable, and strangely didn’t feel like a ‘big’ ship, infact after being onboard Ventura and Independence, this ship felt smaller, but in a nice way.

We were greeted on boarding to a glass of champagne, and went direct to our cabins and unpacked. We were in a ‘Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with veranda’ on the starboard side , and on entering I was very impressed with the décor, especially the full size cream leather sofa and large 32 inch flat screen tv, showing a limited range of channels, but this included a BBC Tv Prime channel and sky news, plus a tour excursions channel. The bathroom was lovely with a corner shower, and the light wood furnishings, and raised wash bowl and single tap and looked very modern. I liked the additions of cotton wool and buds and a tissue box, but on the minus side the bath towels were too small, a bath sheet would have been nice, and I was under whelmed with the 1 ply toilet tissue (why? You only use twice as much and its just annoying!) A design minus also was the shelf for your toiletries was very narrow, and you ended up putting things on the toilet seat when getting ready to go out. Also where was the soap dish? A small thing, but it meant the wet soap was left on this narrow shelf and kept sliding around and making everything wet and messy.

The furnishings were lovely, and balcony furniture very modern with a large round wooden slat table. Don’t forget to take a US plug adaptor for you electrical items though as of course this is a US ship.

I went on a tour of the cabins after lunch and was surprised to learn there are very few inside cabins, infact 90% of the cabins have a ocean view and nearly all of these have a private balcony on this ship.

The inside cabin I did view was a wheelchair accessible one and was very roomy and these cabins also have a massive 32inch flat screen tv on the wall opposite the bed!

I have described the balcony cabins, and after that I saw ‘Aqua class cabin’ which is the same size as the balcony (194 sq ft with a 54 sq ft balcony) for those who love ‘spa life’ there are 130 of these cabins located near the Aqua spa which give priority seating in Blu specialty restaurant, a spa concierge to arrange treatments, and priority to the Aqua spa of course!

Smoking on Equinox is not allowed in staterooms, corridors or on balconies.

The suites were all lovely, with butler service, the chance to have breakfast, lunch or dinner in your cabin., and of course a bath, some with separate walk in shower or Jacuzzi. And some with a 52inch tv with a 40inch tv in the bedroom!

At the top of this ship, is the ‘Sky Observation Lounge’ Celebrity’s own Crows Nest, with amazing décor again including sweeping cream settees with purple cushions, and a large stage and dance floor. Also look out for the Lawn Club, where half a acre of real lawn adorns the deck so you can play croquet and lawn bowls. Nearby is a Hot Glass show where you can see glass blowing demonstrations which were very interesting, I was given a single rose made of glass which I will treasure.

The self service buffet restaurant called The Oceanview Café, was spacious and served everything from pasta, pizzas, tacos, hot food and salads. There was a ice cream bar with plentiful flavours and toppings, and the sweets were delicious to look at and eat. I couldn’t find a decent breakfast UK tea, but there were all the other types of speciality teas in a large selection box so perhaps there was a decent one suitable for a ‘builders brew’ but I couldn’t find it. Also I’m afraid it seems to be streaky bacon and not our UK favourite back bacon on here, but I was told the chef was seen carving a massive boiled gammon joint at breakfast so you could try that if you were hungry! The Oceanview deck was lovely and had again, wonderful modern furniture and even settees.

Keeping on the theme of food and dining areas, I must say the Silhouette Dining room was jaw-dropping WOW , I could not think how a dining room could be any better in a modern contemporary design, I have taken a lot of photos in the link at the bottom of this review to show you. We ate here on the first evening, and the food was lovely too. I had a appetizer of ‘Crispy Sautéed Pork potstickers with Oyster sauce and water chestnuts, followed by a creamy Cannellini bean soup, and then grilled tournedos of beef and veal with gratin potatoes and a bordelaise sauce, The steaks were plump and melted in the mouth, I followed this with a poached pear on a ginger sponge with Vanilla mousse, and hot ! Coffee (unlike P&O’s )

On the 2nd night, formal, we were lucky to be invited by a Celebrity UK representative to join him at the French Specialty restaurant - Murano, along with four other guests, The service was attentive, and included my cooked whole dover sole being filleted in front of me at the table, and my husbands crepes with a wonderful strawberry sauce being flambéed at the table to much aplomb by the head waiter.

I have taken photos of Blu, Silk Harvest(Asian cuisine) and the Tuscan Grille (Italian Steakhouse) and some food samples which can be found in the photo album.

During my cruise we were invited to sampler tastings, in the afternoon, and of course it would have been rude not to go!

The pools were lovely, with 4 Jacuzzis surrounding the outside deck one, and double bed sun-loungers. I am pleased to say there are ‘Pool Butlers’ on Solstice ships, who have been instructed to remove towels from empty sunbeds immediately they are left and personal possessions after a 30minute wait. I spoke to the lady in charge of poolside house-keeping and she said this was very successful, although there were occasionally arguments, but the pool butlers were big lads and stood there ground.

There is a inside pool in the ‘adults only’ Solarium adjacent to the Aqua Spa.

The shops were amazing, as so were the shop window displays (see photos) really unusual. I bought a Equinox teddy for my collection $14.99, and 2 different mugs for $14.99 a pair on a special offer (usually $7.99 each). I bought one photo which was quite expensive, taken at dinner $19.95 8x10.

There was also a duty free shop selling Cigarettes, alcohol etc, something not seen on P&O,

Cigarettes $60 for two cartons.

My cruise was different from a normal cruise, we sailed to Guernsey and around the Channel Islands (211 miles in all) but I can imagine the experience would be very special indeed and would agree it is one * more than P&O , little things, like at dinner, on P&O - one small roll is offered , on Celebrity Solstice class, you have your own bread selection basket with all sorts of breads and breadsticks, plus flavoured butters including lobster butter.

The ship is very modern and contemporary and appealed to us, like Arcadia, she is not a classic old fashioned ship, she doesn’t pretend to be one. The shows in the theatre were of similar quality and we found them enjoyable. There was a lot of live entertainment around the ship, a jazz quartet played in the Grand Foyer before dinner, then we saw a young female pretty foursome called Inspiration strings playing , also an acoustic guitarist playing poolside while you were sunbathing, and a great dance band playing pop classics.

I hope to book a cruise on Eclipse one day soon, and I am sure these Solstice ships will have P&O quaking in their boots. But competition is healthy and perhaps all the UK based cruise lines will be upping their product and us, the passengers can only benefit from that!

Happy sailing!

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the wonderful slide show and review. We were also invited to the 2n, but sadly the response was overwhelming and we were put on a waiting list and didn't reach the top! We have been with P & O for many years and have now decided to try Celebrity as it will be sailing from Southampton. We are booked on Eclipse next Autumn, but had great problems booking as all the cruises we wanted were almost fully booked already. We're really looking forward to trying Celebrity especially after your review.

Oceana is one of our favourites and we did Fjords on her last year. Pennant Bar on Sky deck is the place to be for a spectacular sailaway. Pity you're not visiting Flaam - that was quite special.

I hope you will enjoy Norway and wish were were on Oceana with you. Best wishes.

The marketing Manager I spoke to did say that bookings on the Eclipse had soared in the past few weeks since the Equinox promotions, I really wanted a Med cruise next year, and Eclipse isn't doing many, except some in the school holidays, which I don'T want, and one on Sept 4th which seems a long way away, was hoping for a June cruise...so who knows for us, haven't booked anything for 2010 - yet!

Hi Sue,

Personally only been on 1 cruise(Ventura) but your pictures show real competition for P&O from Southampton. Iam going on Arcadia in October the 1 thing i would like P&O to take notice of is the pool butler clearing towels as on Ventura 2thirds were covered but not used (a pet hate of mine)

The pics are great.

Hi Sue (again), Its a Med cruise we're on, but not in June. Its actually going to a few places we haven't visited yet, so all the better. We've visited Dubrovnik and Venice several times before, but never get tired of them. Hope you manage to get booked on to Eclipse.

Happy Days.

Sue: thanks for the pictures and the review.

What was your cabin number? - I'd like to get a feel as to how the view over the lifeboats, etc, that you had will compare with the one we'll get from cabin 7246 on Solstice in September.

Same deck as you Tom? 7334 was my cabin starboard deck 7.

Caryl, Gerry is best placed to give you drinks prices, as I didn't pay for one all cruise LOL...

I did take note of room service prices though, - wine by the glass -pinot $7.50, Chardonnay $8, beer -Corona $5

Tom, I have put my cabin number on the photo captions now on the 'view from my balcony' photo. Ideally I would like to be higher up with 3+ decks above the lifeboats. On pando ships I go for a B or C deck balcony cabin.

Tom, I have put my cabin number on the photo captions now on the 'view from my balcony' photo. Ideally I would like to be higher up with 3+ decks above the lifeboats. On pando ships I go for a B or C deck balcony cabin.

Sue, thanks for the information.

We booked our Solstice cruise in April last year - we'll have been waiting almost 18 months when it finally happens. This was before she was launched/floated out, and the issue with the lifeboats hadn't been widely perceived. In fact in the very first Celebrity brochure that included Solstice, even the deck 6 cabins were simply labelled 'Cat 2C Balcony'; it's only recently that many of them have been re-classified 'Obstructed'. I remember when the pictures of the float-out were published, there were a lot of posts saying "I can't see my cabin because it's behind a lifeboat!" So, yes, if we'd known then what we know now we'd have picked a cabin on deck 8. But I'm sure we'll enjoy the cruise. And I'm also pretty sure than when we're lounging in the chair we won't be able to see much, if anything, of the lifeboats.

Hi Sue hope your well I haven't been on the forums for a while I love your reports always honest and your pics are the best always show what people want to see on a new ship

I love the Arcadia (sailed her twice now) as you know but have already sailed with Celebrity once on a Carribbean cruise out of Miami on the Millennium

We loved the Millennium in fact not wanting to upset anyone being on the P&O blog and all I would say our Celebrity cruise was by far our best so far.

The Equinox looks amazing now thats what I call uber chic taken to another level i like the Arcadia becuase of her contemporary styling (and the no kids of course) but boy does this ship take it to another level its like some kind of New York boutique hotel afloat darling I would be loving myself to death in the Sky Lounge I can tell already

My wife and I had decided we would try Celebrity again now they are sailing out of Southampton but had decided maybe not next year as we have been spending lots on our new home , But ha now I have to go next year better get designing some new designer sling backs for all you lovely cruising ladies to keep the pennies coming in so I can afford an Aqua Spa cabin next summer

I hope I'm not dissappointed with the Artemis over the Bank Holiday weekend on my 4 nighter having seen the Equinox on saying that I also have booked that 6 day ferry crossing to New York on the QM2 in November for a little Christmas shopping so I will get to see all extremes this year

Keep the reports coming Sue and Ladies keeping buying all those lovely shoes its keeping me in cruises

Soletread

Hi there Soletread

Nice to see you on here.

Yes Equinox was a superb,5* , little things giving you the extra over and above P&O.

If you love Arcadia you will adore Solstice class ships (The Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse)

One small thing for a example, on PandO at dinner, the rolls are getting smaller aren't they? , they give you ONE small roll with aplomb, on Equinox you are given a breadbasket filled with about 6 different rolls, plus breadsticks etc, plus flavoured butters freshly curled in a dish and they stay there until after the main meal. Oh, and the steaks melt in the mouth.;)

I also loved the furniture and decor around the ship. The large cream leather full size sofa in our cabin and 32" flat screen tv ( and 32" TV in inside cabins as well on the wall opposite the bed!) double bed sunbeds around the ship and loungers , it was amazing.

Sailing from Southampton next year, I know lots of P&O cruisers who have booked Equinox....and I must admit I am tempted too.

p.s. tickets came today for my Oceana cruise , the last of the P&O ships for me to see...:)

Welcome back to the site Stopgo....

Where have you been? I have missed your constructive comments so much:rolleyes:

P.S. do you ever post anything about your cruises, or help others with queries or write a cruise review? All you do is pick at others posts:confused:

Welcome back to the site Stopgo....

Where have you been? I have missed your constructive comments so much:rolleyes:

P.S. do you ever post anything about your cruises, or help others with queries or write a cruise review? All you do is pick at others posts:confused:

I don't have your experience or expertise, after all you have been on eight cruises in three years, as you have told us or more than one occasion. There is not much I can add, and I know you like posting the information. So even if I knew what sort of biscuits P.O. provided in their cabins, I wouldn't want to spoil your fun in posting replies.

And you have been on just 2 cruises and think you have the right to knock anyone who posts on here and act as a self appointed moderator which NO-ONE welcomes 'my dear.'

If you can't say anything nice why not say nothing atall ?(like you did for the month of July)

Hi there Soletread

Nice to see you on here.

Yes Equinox was a superb,5* , little things giving you the extra over and above P&O.

If you love Arcadia you will adore Solstice class ships (The Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse)

One small thing for a example, on PandO at dinner, the rolls are getting smaller aren't they? , they give you ONE small roll with aplomb, on Equinox you are given a breadbasket filled with about 6 different rolls, plus breadsticks etc, plus flavoured butters freshly curled in a dish and they stay there until after the main meal. Oh, and the steaks melt in the mouth.;)

I also loved the furniture and decor around the ship. The large cream leather full size sofa in our cabin and 32" flat screen tv ( and 32" TV in inside cabins as well on the wall opposite the bed!) double bed sunbeds around the ship and loungers , it was amazing.

Sailing from Southampton next year, I know lots of P&O cruisers who have booked Equinox....and I must admit I am tempted too.

p.s. tickets came today for my Oceana cruise , the last of the P&O ships for me to see...:)

Hi Sue

Yes when we cruised on the Millenuim it was the simple little touches that made the difference and raised the bar to that different level

Like the glass on Champagne on arrival it just makes you feel like a VIP and sets the tone for the trip I must admit the last time we boarded the Arcadia there was hardly any body around to meet and greet we knew the ship so headed independantly to our cabin but a first timer could have been totally lost

I mean come on P&O how much is a little glass of bubbles for goodness sake the little things make an impact

Another little detail we loved about Celebrity was the Umbrella in the Cabin useful on both the day in Porto Rico when we would have got soaked in a tropical down pour and on a very hot day in Nassua when my dear wife would have fried like an egg without it

The Cova Cafe de Milano was fantastic as well the best coffee I have had on a ship and lovely pastries compli in the afternoons

I'm glad to read that it appear in the last 3 years since we sailed with Celebrity they have not dumbed down like so many others to cut costs or draw in a different type of passenger

As for the interior design I'm sure all the old Pandos that hated Arcadia would detest the Soltice glass ships GOOD I say it would appear Celebrity are looking to atract a younger client that still appreciates classic standards and service in a modern contemporary enviroment

You don't have to be surrounded by teak and brass to get excellent service

I think P&O should watch their backs Celebrity are potentially onto a winner I will with out doubt be trying a Soltice Class ship as soon as possible

Archived